Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Herr_Reitz

New 455 Super Duty TRANS-AM !

17 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,262
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles

Wow, wonder what the BHP rating is compared to historic 455 ci cars?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,210
[WOLF3]
Members
6,392 posts
2,377 battles

I don't know about the Chevies, but I've driven the Mopar "retros" (e.g. Charger).  Terrible!  The only thing I can remember that was more disconnected from the road was a Honda Accord (aka the sleeping pill with wheels). 

They did have a good exhaust note, though.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
245
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,344 posts
9,536 battles

Apearantly, they're shooting for 1K horsepower. The old 455's were all officially rated at under 400 horsepower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,492 posts
5,479 battles

AS much as I hate to admit as a GM fan - the car that is remembered more than any other one is the Bullet Mustang..along with the second string 68 Charger.  The Mustang went and continued while the Camaro and Firebird were discontinued in 2002.  I have a 2002 Camaro SS black convertible.  New Camaros are nice but just not the same presence as the Mustang...I mean I feel mad but what you gonna do..?   The New Mid engine vette should be interesting.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,454
[O_O]
Members
4,397 posts
9,512 battles

This car is sexy.  No doubt about it.

If given a choice between the two, I would still take a black '77 Trans Am with T-tops over this iteration 7 days a week, and twice on Sunday.  All that HP is going to do is punch a ticket to jail, anyway.  It still isn't as beautiful as the original Bandit car.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,262
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
20 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Apearantly, they're shooting for 1K horsepower. The old 455's were all officially rated at under 400 horsepower.

HP numbers are easily diddled with; you simply increase RPM until you get the HP you want. Don't believe this? Look at some old Motors manuals from the 60's (when they had real muscle cars) and see what RPM the 425 horse monster motors were rated at when tested.

Also, the old 455s were carbureted, hung with every accessory GM could and would throw onto a car, smog pumped, often single exhausted ... the list goes on. Todays 455 will have electronic fuel injection, electronic fuel and spark advance systems, much hotter burning plugs, better (hotter) ignition systems, humidity sensors, outside air temp sensors, etc, etc, etc.

So I guess 40 years of engine tech improvements might be able to raise the HP numbers a bit.

AND it's still all stuffed into a Camaro chassis. LOL!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
245
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,344 posts
9,536 battles
4 minutes ago, Umikami said:

HP numbers are easily diddled with; you simply increase RPM until you get the HP you want. Don't believe this? Look at some old Motors manuals from the 60's (when they had real muscle cars) and see what RPM the 425 horse monster motors were rated at when tested.

Also, the old 455s were carbureted, hung with every accessory GM could and would throw onto a car, smog pumped, often single exhausted ... the list goes on. Todays 455 will have electronic fuel injection, electronic fuel and spark advance systems, much hotter burning plugs, better (hotter) ignition systems, humidity sensors, outside air temp sensors, etc, etc, etc.

So I guess 40 years of engine tech improvements might be able to raise the HP numbers a bit.

AND it's still all stuffed into a Camaro chassis. LOL!

Well, back in the day, car companies outright lied about HP in both directions. The old 455's were mostly pre-smog engines, they died off in 1976 as a shadow of their former selves. The performance versions were all dual exhaust, ect... The old Pontiac 389 that I'm way too familiar with, was officially good for 360 hp on leaded gas, with an aftermarket cam, better ignition and a slightly bigger carburetor, will make a 3400 lb GTO haul on unleaded gas. Can't give you the HP, never put it on a dyno. 

Now, 1000 HP in a 3300lb car, it'll scoot if it will hook up. At least it will stop better than the old 64.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,262
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
2 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

At least it will stop better than the old 64.

As weight aids braking; probably not.

What amuses me most is that in the middle of the entire planet running out of oil GM, rather than come up with a decent reliable economic car to compete with the Prius and company, instead chose to bring back one of the most famous gas guzzling motors it ever produced and wrap a plastic shell around it. Forrest Gump must be President of General Motors; "Stupid Is as Stupid Does."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
245
[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,344 posts
9,536 battles
Just now, Umikami said:

As weight aids braking; probably not.

What amuses me most is that in the middle of the entire planet running out of oil GM, rather than come up with a decent reliable economic car to compete with the Prius and company, instead chose to bring back one of the most famous gas guzzling motors it ever produced and wrap a plastic shell around it. Forrest Gump must be President of General Motors; "Stupid Is as Stupid Does."

Well, as my old goat has drum brakes all the way around, I hope it stops better. 50+ years of suspension development should be good for something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moderator
1,542 posts
26 battles

For some reason your image isn't working so I googled and was not disappointed. That is a thicc baby. It's like driving a sexy brick wall. The colors are great too. I love me a big car!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
84
[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,111 posts
11,934 battles

While fun to look at I'm not much a fan of these firebird conversions, there just isn't any authenticity there.  Just bringing to life what could have been if GM didn't kill Pontiac.  The Camaro ZL1 already has wickedly aggressive styling anyway.

 

The GM alpha platform that the current gen Camaro is built around is very refined, would love to drive one someday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,210
[WOLF3]
Members
6,392 posts
2,377 battles
20 hours ago, Umikami said:

So I guess 40 years of engine tech improvements might be able to raise the HP numbers a bit.

Plus  you're comparing to totally bogus "official" HP numbers after about 1970, when performance motors were de-rated to mollify the insurance companies.  (To be fair there were a lot of crashes then but that's largely because the chassis and brakes were nowhere near up to the motor.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,262
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,796 posts
15,175 battles
2 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Plus  you're comparing to totally bogus "official" HP numbers after about 1970, when performance motors were de-rated to mollify the insurance companies.  (To be fair there were a lot of crashes then but that's largely because the chassis and brakes were nowhere near up to the motor.)

 

Back in the 60s car manufacturers would raise the HP rating of a given engine by simply running it at a higher RPM on the dyno during testing. Motors manuals, published by Motors the car repair book guys, would also list the RPM along with the HP rating so you could see which engines were being hyped. Old school hemi's (331, 354, 392, and 426), big block Mopars (383 and 440), big block Fords (428 and 429; but not 427 side oilers), and Chevy rat motors (396 and 427) all fit into this category. (The only reason the side oiler 427 Ford motors didn't was because they were tested in Mark VII racing cars by whatever organization sanctioned those events.) Some small blocks also went through this, notably the 327 fuel injected Vette motor, which was a total junk injection system. In many cases these engines were tested without even alternators being hooked up; just a frame and drive train.

Then came the 70s; double digit inflation, gas lines and shortages, consumer awareness, and the results of no one telling Detroit to cool their jets for 20 years, so insurance companies started to take notice of drive trains when issuing policies. Engines were de-tuned, given economy cams, vacuum secondaries on 4 barrel carbs, and every accessory possible was hung on the front of the motor draining HP. (Ford was extremely famous for this, but by no means the only one doing it.)

Today cars are made of plastic, have engines which run at 2 to 3 times the RPM of engines in the 60s, and most accessories are electric; yet we still have insurance rates based on base HP.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,827
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

I remember how CHEAP muscle cars were to buy on the used market in the 70's... but then my income was so low they still seemed expensive to me. :cap_haloween:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
84
[WOLF1]
[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
1,111 posts
11,934 battles

Well the HP wars are back and I'm loving it. Base models making over 300 hp and stepping up to over 400 hp in mainstream performance models.  Over 600hp for the top cars in the lineup.

Jeez you can even get a Toyota Camry with 300 hp and a Kia with 365.

These are good times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×