You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battleship_Kaga

At some future juncture, could a few of the older ship models get a refresh?

18 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,003 battles

I've been playing my Kongo a lot recently, and it's occurred to me just how plain the thing is. Oh, it's a nice base model - proportionally it's a decent representation of Hiei. But when I compare it to the level of detail on more recent ships we've gotten (Roma comes to mind)... well, let's just say that KONGO DES isn't aging particularly well. 

There's no gentle way to say this: the Kongo we have presently is both very plain and very rusty. 

4ddd54fc-c414-11e5-b0e9-000c2994974d.jpg

It's lacking a lot of details - tertiary AA mounts (especially on the turrets), a number of the platforms on the pagoda mast, lifeboats and davits, anti-splinter sandbags, etc. I don't expect these ships to be so detailed that the game's engine grinds to a halt, but some of the older units definitely fall short of new lines. I mean, just compare the above to a real-world model:

qxLJJCq.jpg

And, of course, this is not restricted to Kongo - Izumo is another enormous hull with a very low level of detail. New York is rather shabby looking, too, as well as most of the American and Japanese destroyers.

Basically, I just feel like some of the trees may need a bit of a face lift at some juncture down the road to maintain a cohesive level of standards. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
211 posts
4,782 battles

Considering how busy they've been as of late with tomorrows release of the french BB line and the upcoming USN cruiser split i can't see this being too high priority...BUT, i do second the hell outa this.

Seeing ship models get a facelift is always good and i definitely agree that some of em are really meh right now compared to many of the new additions. Although being within reason there will probably always be some details that probably won't ever get implemented, if anything because they would be too small I imagine.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,003 battles
6 minutes ago, Saidalphon said:

Considering how busy they've been as of late with tomorrows release of the french BB line and the upcoming USN cruiser split i can't see this being too high priority...BUT, i do second the hell outa this.

Seeing ship models get a facelift is always good and i definitely agree that some of em are really meh right now compared to many of the new additions. Although being within reason there will probably always be some details that probably won't ever get implemented, if anything because they would be too small I imagine.

Of course - and I don't expect details even approaching those of the model I linked.

Out of curiosity, has WoT ever gone back and retouched older stuff?

[WOLFB]
Members
211 posts
4,782 battles

Oh don't worry mate I wasn't dissing you on the amount of details, trust me it'd be bloody AWESOME to see em like that...but i doubt the current game engine can do models that detailed (trust me i wish it could).

As for WoT sadly i have no idea, I've never played it. <_>

Members
4,830 posts
5,599 battles
11 minutes ago, Saidalphon said:

Oh don't worry mate I wasn't dissing you on the amount of details, trust me it'd be bloody AWESOME to see em like that...but i doubt the current game engine can do models that detailed (trust me i wish it could).

As for WoT sadly i have no idea, I've never played it. <_>

Acutally, I don't think the game engine would have any issue rendering models that detailed. Look at the detail on Prinz Eugen, or any of the recent lines like French cruisers. Or compare ships like Yuugumo and Akatsuki to Kagero and Fubuki. Aoba has the sandbags on her bridge, so that can be modeled in-game. Unfortunately, in WG's eyes, the lack of tertiary AA on ships like Kongo, Yamato, etc. is a balancing issue. I guess since they're triple 25mm mounts, WG can't model them without actually adding them to the AA rating, and I guess they don't want or feel the need to buff IJN AA(however insignificant it actually is).

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[SMI-1]
[SMI-1]
Members
278 posts
8,488 battles

Word had it about 6 months ago, they were thinking of replacing the Kongo with another ship, don't know how true it might be but it was floated around.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,003 battles
4 minutes ago, Sere_Pj said:

Word had it about 6 months ago, they were thinking of replacing the Kongo with another ship, don't know how true it might be but it was floated around.

I... well, I have a really hard time believing that they would pull a vessel that iconic from the game. I mean, Kongo is the star of no less than two anime series, on top of being wildly popular just in general.

[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,003 battles
37 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Acutally, I don't think the game engine would have any issue rendering models that detailed. Look at the detail on Prinz Eugen, or any of the recent lines like French cruisers. Or compare ships like Yuugumo and Akatsuki to Kagero and Fubuki. Aoba has the sandbags on her bridge, so that can be modeled in-game. Unfortunately, in WG's eyes, the lack of tertiary AA on ships like Kongo, Yamato, etc. is a balancing issue. I guess since they're triple 25mm mounts, WG can't model them without actually adding them to the AA rating, and I guess they don't want or feel the need to buff IJN AA(however insignificant it actually is).

It would be interesting to see a premium Kongo-class vessel at tier 6. I think it could be done with a ROF/accuracy buff and vastly improved late-war AA. I mean, it's not like her guns are horrid - Fuso is just rocking 4 more of the same thing, and she faces tier 8s. I'm not saying it would be perfect, but I bet it would sell insanely well. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,834 battles
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

I've been playing my Kongo a lot recently, and it's occurred to me just how plain the thing is. Oh, it's a nice base model - proportionally it's a decent representation of Hiei. But when I compare it to the level of detail on more recent ships we've gotten (Roma comes to mind)... well, let's just say that KONGO DES isn't aging particularly well. 

There's no gentle way to say this: the Kongo we have presently is both very plain and very rusty. 

It's lacking a lot of details - tertiary AA mounts (especially on the turrets), a number of the platforms on the pagoda mast, lifeboats and davits, anti-splinter sandbags, etc. I don't expect these ships to be so detailed that the game's engine grinds to a halt, but some of the older units definitely fall short of new lines. I mean, just compare the above to a real-world model:

qxLJJCq.jpg

And, of course, this is not restricted to Kongo - Izumo is another enormous hull with a very low level of detail. New York is rather shabby looking, too, as well as most of the American and Japanese destroyers.

Basically, I just feel like some of the trees may need a bit of a face lift at some juncture down the road to maintain a cohesive level of standards. 

Watch out, it may get a beer can :Smile_ohmy:

• Funny 1

Members
4,830 posts
5,599 battles
1 hour ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

It would be interesting to see a premium Kongo-class vessel at tier 6. I think it could be done with a ROF/accuracy buff and vastly improved late-war AA. I mean, it's not like her guns are horrid - Fuso is just rocking 4 more of the same thing, and she faces tier 8s. I'm not saying it would be perfect, but I bet it would sell insanely well. 

I always figured that Haruna would work well at T6 as a premium BB, given that she's the only Kongou-class survivor of the war(sunk in her moorings in 1945). She likely would have had beefed up AA and her secondary layout was very different from Hiei. Not to mention that Haruna had a rather unique pagoda structure compared to Kongou and Kirishima. That along with the striping on her turrets from her late war floating AA platform time, she has a unique look befitting of a premium sister ship.

The saddest thing about the in-game 'Kongou' actually being Hiei is that Hiei was the first of the 4 to be sunk, so she had the least amount of modernizations and refits done. I'm not entirely sure there's many ways for WG to 'historically' buff "Hiei" if the need arose. I remember reading that Hiei was chosen becuase 1) she's easier to balance for T5 as she didn't have a late war fit to need to balance(though the existence of Texas kinda makes that a moot point now), and 2) Hiei's pagoda tower being a prototype design for Yamato's pagoda supposedly made it easier for the modeling team to model both ships. I guess it had something to do with how Kongou/Kirishima/Haruna's pagoda's were much more complex like Fusou and Nagato whereas Hiei's was simplified. I think dseehafer had a comparison thread on the Kongou's that outlined the differences between them.

I'd love to have Haruna as a premium T6 IJN BB. Even if just for her looks alone.

Edit: Link to dseehafer's comparison thread.

From the looks of the half sunken Haruna picture, it looks like her hull may have been painted differently as well. WG would have to look into it further as they have the resources to do so, but I do honestly think she's the best candidate of the remaining three sisters for a premium.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[SMI-1]
[SMI-1]
Members
278 posts
8,488 battles

@Battlecruiser_Lutzow Don't get me wrong, I have a Kongo and have it for two years as well as the Fuso just as long, it was just a rumor I heard on the NA & EU Dev. side of things along time ago, and I agree Kongo needs some sprucing up here and there as well as the Fuso.

Thanks,

Sere_Pj

[PNP]
Members
393 posts
2,967 battles
3 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

Of course - and I don't expect details even approaching those of the model I linked.

WoT in the past have updated their old tank models with some pretty neat HD models each major update. In the future, the entire game will get a huge facelift as a lot of the maps are redone in HD as well. It actually looks pretty good.

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,834 battles
3 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

Already been said nvm

Edited by Crusin_Custard

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
6 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

qxLJJCq.jpg

Go figure, the guy crying that BBs won't get full pens on DDs also complains about ship designs.

I notice it's all BBs mentioned by name. I'm sure that's just a coincidence though.  :Smile_trollface:

[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,003 battles
4 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I always figured that Haruna would work well at T6 as a premium BB, given that she's the only Kongou-class survivor of the war(sunk in her moorings in 1945). She likely would have had beefed up AA and her secondary layout was very different from Hiei. Not to mention that Haruna had a rather unique pagoda structure compared to Kongou and Kirishima. That along with the striping on her turrets from her late war floating AA platform time, she has a unique look befitting of a premium sister ship.

The saddest thing about the in-game 'Kongou' actually being Hiei is that Hiei was the first of the 4 to be sunk, so she had the least amount of modernizations and refits done. I'm not entirely sure there's many ways for WG to 'historically' buff "Hiei" if the need arose. I remember reading that Hiei was chosen becuase 1) she's easier to balance for T5 as she didn't have a late war fit to need to balance(though the existence of Texas kinda makes that a moot point now), and 2) Hiei's pagoda tower being a prototype design for Yamato's pagoda supposedly made it easier for the modeling team to model both ships. I guess it had something to do with how Kongou/Kirishima/Haruna's pagoda's were much more complex like Fusou and Nagato whereas Hiei's was simplified. I think dseehafer had a comparison thread on the Kongou's that outlined the differences between them.

I'd love to have Haruna as a premium T6 IJN BB. Even if just for her looks alone.

Edit: Link to dseehafer's comparison thread.

From the looks of the half sunken Haruna picture, it looks like her hull may have been painted differently as well. WG would have to look into it further as they have the resources to do so, but I do honestly think she's the best candidate of the remaining three sisters for a premium.

Haruna also had the slightly unusual higher second funnel, if memory serves. An AA fit Haruna premium would be so cool.