You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSRichardNixon

Chung Mu vs Fletcher?

20 comments in this topic

[DAY]
Members
1,182 posts
11,751 battles

i would say fletcher...

never really had issue landing hits with fletcher's excellent torps, so the extra stealth no those torps isnt as valuable, id prefer the ability to hit DDs with torps

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,662 posts
25,746 battles

I would have said Fletcher but having now a Chung Mu it is growing on me and fast becoming my new boat of choice at any tier!

[SYN]
Members
4,547 posts
11,437 battles

Fletcher, hands down.
Being able to land torpedo hits on DDs, intentional or otherwise, is a plus.  Knowing that you don't ever have to worry about dodging another DDs torps in a knife fight is an even bigger plus.  I literally breathe easier knowing this in such situations.

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,404 posts
3,583 battles

Hard to say its pretty close. 

If the match has more capital ships and cruisers. Chung Mu.

If the match has more Destroyers. Fletcher. 

[R-F]
Members
779 posts
6,399 battles

Pan Asian smoke is sooooooo good.  I know everyone wants to talk about deepwater torps versus regular torps, but that smoke.  It's just amazing.  "Oh no my smoke is running out, what will I do for... the next ten seconds before it's ready again?"

Granted sitting in smoke and shooting is often not safe, but when it is... amazing.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,121 posts
14,519 battles

I own Fletcher but not Chung Mu.  The latter is just my experience facing them.

Fletcher and her normal torps make her more general purpose, especially since those torps can be used on another DD.  Still a really good DD to have faith in.

Chung Mu, however, once she's broken  free and gets to stalk Non-DDs, the DWTs are vastly more dangerous.  The detection ranges of DWTs are so short, they literally pop out of nowhere.  The notice is so short that not even a Cruiser can react and take defensive measures fast enough.  MAYBE if they had Vigilance, Hydro going it would help.  I see Chung Mu delete very dangerous Cruisers with ease, much less the big, sluggish high tier BBs.

There is also a subtle benefit not too many talk about that Fletcher, Gearing have over their PADD counterparts.  Defensive Fire built into them.  That can be the difference on panicking those deadly Tier IX-X air attacks enough to get away unscathed, or be an easy meal for the CV.  Now, Tier IX-X CVs are rarely played, close to extinction as a matter of fact.  But when they DO show up, DDs quake in fear.

"Do you even Defensive Fire, brah?"

No?  Then your a$$ is getting cross dropped and dive bombed.  The bombers won't have the wider, panicked drop patterns that happens with high aircraft losses and / or Defensive Fire being active.  The ordnance being dropped will all be tight drop patterns and you're screwed.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[NDA]
Supertester
4,844 posts
13,820 battles

I have a 19p Captain on my Fletcher and regularly play what I think is the best all around destroyer in game. 

The ChungMu once fully upgraded is a lot of fun but can struggle dominated caps and fending of CV planes. The radar can be useful if you have a friendly DD or Div'd DD who will work with you on your lack of smoke. But running Solo with only Radar can be a troubling experience.

I sold the ChungMu once I finished its grind and now I enjoy playing the YueYang. 

Fletcher still floats in my port ready to terrorize the seas when called upon.  

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

I have both. Fletcher is one of the best torp boats in the game. In fact, I find the Gearing underwhelming in comparison and was pretty disappointed to trade a little bit more range for faster reload and higher damage, Fletcher torps are better.

[OPG]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,896 posts
10,457 battles

Chung mu with radar, Fletcher, and black is my favorite div

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

if there are lot of DD,   i'd rather take z46  over fletcher.         but that is just me.    i just seem to do better with   chungmu and z46

Beta Testers
1,837 posts
10,762 battles

Fletcher. Chung Mu is awfully underpowered and need a big buff. And if you run into one in a DD, make sure to show her your broadside to torp her since you have the torp advantage. You absolutely must take advantage of that while ignoring your guns.

(Please don't look up Chung Mu stats, mine or server average.)

Edited by chewonit

Members
160 posts
9,173 battles

I've played through both. Both are excellent DDs with different strengths and weaknesses. The Fletcher is better against DDs, the Chung Mu better against BBs. The Fletcher has a little more gun range as well (12.9 vs. 12.1). The Chung Mu can run radar, but the Fletcher is better against CVs with its DFAA. The Chung Mu is 1.5 knots faster, but has a worse rudder and turning circle and has .2 better stock concealment. 

The Fletcher is a legend, but the Chung Mu is better in some respects. 

[WOLF5]
Members
458 posts
18,909 battles

I love them both, but there's a very slight difference in the play style. The Chung is slightly stealthier but is slightly less nimble but quicker. Because of the fast reset on the PADD smokes, you can reengage quicker because you have an out. I tend to be a bit more aggressive in the Chung because of that. 

Unfortunately you don't know what map you're going to queue into, but for maps with more choke points, I prefer the Fletch, but the ones where you have space to work, I prefer the Chung. 

Members
1,157 posts
6,931 battles

the DF AA the fletcher gets makes it the best all around DD at tier 9.  Great torps that can hit anything. ok guns. solid smoke.  can protect yourself or teammates with DF AA. 

chung mu may be better at landing torps on BBs and CAs and has great smoke, but i dont think those 2 make it as good as the fletcher.  certainly not a bad ship. 

tbh, i haven't really seen any bad DDs at tier 9.  I am having fun with the Yug.  i have been debating using TRB.  I don't mind shooting DDs in this thing.  The tashkent was amazing.  up to 15km to farm BBs, heals to tank some damage, good torps.  with 8km concealment, while not anything great, it still allows you to sneak away when you need to when combined with your speed.