You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BatRastardly

Is 7.2 Another Nail in the DD Coffin?

112 comments in this topic

[ONAVY]
Members
147 posts
13,559 battles

Reading the patch notes I saw where they are reducing the time water drops, or splashes, remain suspended and partially obscuring targets. While the splash mechanic is global, the only ships I have trouble targetting are DD's at range, and this only when the same DD is targetted by multiple ships. It sometimes works out where it's only the splashing that gives the DD a chance to limp out of detection. This patch will go a long way to reduce or eliminate this one small chance for a DD to stay in the match.

Is this really a good idea? Since patch 6.0 we have seen a steady stream of changes that weakened DD play. We have also seen a steady decline of the DD population in matches, especially at high tiers. Yes, you might see 4 to 5 DD's a side in a match, but that is usually due to a special mission going on. Why make a change that, while really minor to most, does focus on the one ship class least in need of population reduction? What changes are planned to limit the BB population? Matches have been averaging 5 BB's a side for some time now ... I have seen a match with 9 each!  If you are unlucky to be on the team with the most passive BB's you generally lose no matter how hard everyone else tries to carry. I have been in many matches with no DD's on either side ... who caps? Light Cruisers?

Sub-Octavian is saying WG is not interested in this game becoming BB focussed. Well it already is and this change is likely to further that trend. I started playing during OBT and was a DD main initially. Partly because I served on DD's in the USN, but mostly because of the unforgiving nature of the class in WOWS. One mistake in a DD is often all it takes to end your match early. Since patch 6.0 that is changed to where your match can end early just due to RNG. Capping, spotting, and firing a salvo outside of smoke can turn into instant deletion. No mistake needed.  I play mostly cruisers now and am in a BB far more often than a DD. It would appear I am not alone.

While DD's aren't dead yet, they look to be circling the drain.

Das Bat

Edited by BatRastardly
  • Cool 11
  • Funny 7
  • Boring 8
  • Bad 15
  • Angry 2

[-K-]
Supertester
3,096 posts
6,832 battles

You're kidding right?  DD's are dead because a new shell splash is being reverted?  Holy crap and I thought the DD Mafia was bad...

• Cool 20
  • Funny 7
  • Bad 5

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,404 posts
3,583 battles

My biggest concern is the new shell splashes don't look stupid. 

I dont want to see Turbo spray were it jumps up and down unrealistically lol. 

• Cool 1

[WHB]
Beta Testers
250 posts
3,083 battles

I dont get why people keep saying DDs are dieing or getting screwed with each patch, when there is so many each game. I do just fine in my DDs, and I am more of a BB/CL guy. 

When I see a massive drop like we see with cruisers, then maybe I can agree with your sentiment.

• Cool 5

[KNMSU]
Members
3,368 posts
3,951 battles
6 minutes ago, BatRastardly said:

Yes, that's why cruisers are totally underrepresented in the majority of the games I play, while destroyers flourish. It much be the destroyer apocalypse.

_vWuot.gif

Edited by Battlecruiser_Lutzow

[LOS]
Members
564 posts
7,876 battles

Reading the patch notes I saw where they are reducing the time water drops, or splashes, remain suspended and partially obscuring targets. While the splash mechanic is global, the only ships I have trouble targetting are DD's at range, and this only when the same DD is targetted by multiple ships. It sometimes works out where it's only the splashing that gives the DD a chance to limp out of detection. This patch will go a long way to reduce or eliminate this one small chance for a DD to stay in the match.

Is this really a good idea? Since patch 6.0 we have seen a steady stream of changes that weakened DD play. We have also seen a steady decline of the DD population in matches, especially at high tiers. Yes, you might see 4 to 5 DD's a side in a match, but that is usually due to a special mission going on. Why make a change that, while really minor to most, does focus on the one ship class least in need of population reduction? What changes are planned to limit the BB population? Matches have been averaging 5 BB's a side for some time now ... I have seen a match with 9 each!  If you are unlucky to be on the team with the most passive BB's you generally lose no matter how hard everyone else tries to carry. I have been in many matches with no DD's on either side ... who caps? Light Cruisers?

Octavio is saying WG is not interested in this game becoming BB focussed. Well it already is and this change is likely to further that trend. I started playing during OBT and was a DD main initially. Partly because I served on DD's in the USN, but mostly because of the unforgiving nature of the class in WOWS. One mistake in a DD is often all it takes to end your match early. Since patch 6.0 that is changed to where your match can end early just due to RNG. Capping, spotting, and firing a salvo outside of smoke can turn into instant deletion. No mistake needed.  I play mostly cruisers now and am in a BB far more often than a DD. It would appear I am not alone.

Das Bat

Word my Brother, Word!

images (2).jpg

Edited by Sinton
  • Bad 1

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
3 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

My biggest concern is the new shell splashes don't look stupid. 

I dont want to see Turbo spray were it jumps up and down unrealistically lol. 

They show it in the Dasha video...you can judge from there. 

I don't think it's going to affect things to that degree as to kill a class' gameplay, even partially. 

Edited by BullpupWOT

[ONAVY]
Members
147 posts
13,559 battles
3 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

You're kidding right?  DD's are dead because a new shell splash is being reverted?  Holy crap and I thought the DD Mafia was bad...

Never said that. I thought it's clear that I saw this as part of a larger trend. Did you only read the title?

• Bad 1

597 posts
9,401 battles

I like the splash we have now, from both my BB PoV and DD PoV.  But the one thing I want them to fix is how ack puff's around planes.  In CBT, the ack would puff AROUND the planes, not 50 miles BEHIND them like it does now.

EDIT: Also forgot, tracers from your AA used to actually track properly, appearing like they were leading the target.  Now, just like the puffy, tracers are WAY behind.

• Cool 1

[CRMSN]
5,404 posts
3,583 battles
1 minute ago, BullpupWOT said:

They show it in the Dasha video...you can judge from there. 

I don't think it's going to affect things to that degree as to kill a class' gameplay. 

I dint  know that! 

Will take a look thx :) 

Members
2,481 posts
2,336 battles

Splashing is a non-issue in my opinion. Ships behind the smoke of ally wrecks will always be more annoying. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,807 posts
10,315 battles

Easy come, easy go. DD's were fine before the huge shell splashes, they'll be fine again with it toned down.

Alpha Tester
1,306 posts
9,373 battles
7 minutes ago, Pope_Shizzle said:

Your telling me. Like holy crap patch notes just got posted and someone already has an issue with a non-issue.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,176 battles
8 minutes ago, BatRastardly said:

You think a reduction to splash time is a nerf to DDs?

eb6.jpg

Because this is in no way a nerf to DDs. 

• Funny 1

597 posts
9,401 battles
1 minute ago, centarina said:

troll.jpg

You owe me a Coke. :Smile_teethhappy:

[-AA-]
Members
1,729 posts
6,657 battles
4 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

You think a reduction to splash time is a nerf to DDs?

eb6.jpg

Because this is in no way a nerf to DDs. 

If you read the start post you will see he lacks knowledge...A troll would only have started about the splash time.

Edited by joris92

[RLGN]
Members
8,246 posts
17,264 battles
2 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

Splashing is a non-issue in my opinion. Ships behind the smoke of ally wrecks will always be more annoying. 

lol... So true...

Not entirely sure I understand these DD nerf complaints?

Like the continual carping about AP and DDs, are they coming from players who shoot at anything that moves, then cry when they get deleted?

Don’t usually have much of an issue, with many of the issues most griped about by DD drivers...

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
4,546 posts
11,437 battles

Didn't think the shell splashes were a problem in the first place.  Certainly not enough to warrant so much special attention in the release notes.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,856 posts
4,224 battles
21 minutes ago, BatRastardly said:

<snip>

kTIcVI4.jpg

You do realize they're also reworking the way AP shells penetrate to make it so BBs can't *BLAM* DDs with one shot, right?

Edited by Carrier_Lexington

[YORHA]
Members
3,325 posts
5,912 battles

No.  DDs were destroyed by RPF. 

No, wait...  DDs were destroyed by Radar.

No, wait... DDs were destroyed by nerfing torps.

No, wait... DDs were destroyed by the removal of OWSF.

No, wait... DDs were destroyed by the smoke nerf.

OK.. this time DDs are destroyed for sure.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 6