Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Battleship_Elisabeth

Could carrier self-deletions result in an auto temp ban?

42 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
5,181 posts
5,424 battles

I've seen this twice-alone in the past weekend, and while I wouldn't consider the behavior to be common, it's such an offensive, trollish act that I feel like the game should account for it with a serious penalty. The AFKing thing is a plague, yes, but it's passive behavior (maybe the dog is on fire, or the baby just robbed a 7-11 or something). But the carrier self-kill is a conscious decision to put the team at an ASTOUNDING disadvantage because... I don't know. 

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,951 posts

Long ago, had a Hiryu doing manual drops on islands in Co-Op..  not playing the game -- just practicing in the corner.

Meanwhile, us T5 battleships (I was in my new ARP Kongo) were struggling to survive against the bots.

Never mind capping or fighting other ships.  We were just trying to dodge all the torps and bombers the bot Hiryu was spewing out.

Our DDs finally caught and killed it, but then we got wiped out by our own full health bot counterparts.

Yeah..  we lost that one. 

Hope the Hiryu guy discovered how to use the Training Room...

[INTEL]
Members
7,025 posts
28,579 battles

They should be seriously penalized (as-in a 5-day ban or something similar). It is worse than AFK (which can at times be unintended, as you wisely mentioned your real-life example of your dog being on fire).

A good way to hurt the team. If you plan to do that, stay out and vent in another game.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[RLGN]
Members
9,800 posts
19,308 battles

Done it a few times myself, (2-3?) long ago; mostly because of teams so astoundingly bad there really wasn’t and point to extending my suffering any further...

...and yes; to deny the Reds one last kill.

Hasn’t been any point to doing so lately, and I’m not sure if it even works...

This, because I accidentally torpedoed myself trying to defend against a destroyer, and hardly did any damage, but got a friendly fire warning.

Not even sure if the team damage has anywhere to reflect to if a CV attacks itself; though maybe if you do enough the AI finally relents and you blow up from ‘reflected’ damage?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[KNMSU]
Members
5,181 posts
5,424 battles
6 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Done it a few times myself, (2-3?) long ago; mostly because of teams so astoundingly bad there really wasn’t and point to extending my suffering any further...

This, because I accidentally torpedoed myself trying to defend against a destroyer, and hardly did any damage, but got a friendly fire warning.

Not even sure if the team damage has anywhere to reflect to if a CV attacks itself; though maybe if you do enough the AI finally relents and you blow up from ‘reflected’ damage?

These aren't generally carriers who have dipped a toe in the water to discover that the team sucks. In both cases this weekend, the guy loaded in, launched his torpedo planes, and killed himself before we had fired a shot.

[RLGN]
Members
9,800 posts
19,308 battles
2 minutes ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

2. Add detonations to CVs, AvGas anyone?

Especially Taiho and Lexington? :Smile_hiding:

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,897 posts
4,227 battles

As far as I know, there is no distinction between self-damage and Team Damage. Shooting down your own planes counts as Team Damage, and I've seen low-tier CVs go Pink from panic-dropping a nearby DD and torping themselves. If your attacks do damage to any blue or gold ship, that calculates as team damage, and you have to pay compensation (but do not get compensation).

The ban system is calculated based-off of the Pink system, so it would follow that self-damage contributes towards getting banned.

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles

Seen this happen a few times at the very start of matches.  Extremely annoying.

CV self-deletes should result in an immediate multi-day ban.  Issue a clear and stern warning on the first offense - "Do that again and you're done for a while".

There is absolutely no excusing around that.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,897 posts
4,227 battles
2 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

Seen this happen a few times at the very start of matches.  Extremely annoying.

CV self-deletes should result in an immediate multi-day ban.  Issue a clear and stern warning on the first offense - "Do that again and you're done for a while".

There is absolutely no excusing around that.

And Udaloi self-torping? Or Yamato self-citadelling?

(Both of these are possible, by the way. I'm not going to explain how, because that would be explaining how to cheat, but they are possible)

[SYN]
Members
4,921 posts
11,844 battles
1 minute ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

And Udaloi self-torping? Or Yamato self-citadelling?

(Both of these are possible, by the way. I'm not going to explain how, because that would be explaining how to cheat, but they are possible)

Well, it's non sequitur if someone is cheating in the first place.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,897 posts
4,227 battles
3 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

Well, it's non sequitur if someone is cheating in the first place.

It's breaking the rules either way, and the Devs and Mods tend to frown on people discussing the methods of breaking the rules

[5BS]
Members
6,430 posts

I do it every now and then. Never at the start of a match, but if it's 800 points to 300 points, or 10 of my 11 teammates are dead vs. their 10 still alive, yeah, I'll scuttle. It's not to screw my own team, but rather to screw the other team by denying them a kill/free damage.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 4

[5BS]
Members
6,430 posts
19 minutes ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

If your attacks do damage to any blue or gold ship, that calculates as team damage, and you have to pay compensation (but do not get compensation).

Doesn't work that way at all against yourself. I scuttle now and then in CV's and suffer no consequences, pink or monetary, for doing so.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 4

[LUCK]
Members
1,643 posts
22,586 battles
23 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

I do it every now and then. Never at the start of a match, but if it's 800 points to 300 points, or 10 of my 11 teammates are dead vs. their 10 still alive, yeah, I'll scuttle. It's not to screw my own team, but rather to screw the other team by denying them a kill/free damage.

In a close point match would it deny the other team the points as well and perhaps a victory? Obviously you wouldn't if you were the only remaining ship, but under the right circumstances it could be the difference between winning and losing, no?

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I've seen a CV accidentally kill itself because it tried to torp a close enemy destroyer with an auto drop. But if there was a way to have game logs where a CV kills itself reviewed by WG staff, then I am all for it. It would be an incredibly rare occurrence, so I don't think having a employee look it over would be too much of a nuisance.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,035 posts
6,186 battles
3 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

This was a fairly popular tactic after the initial release, did it myself a few times, I found it to be quite funny.

One more way for a CV player to piss people off :)

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[SEOP]
Members
1,512 posts
8,233 battles
3 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Lutzow said:

I've seen this twice-alone in the past weekend, and while I wouldn't consider the behavior to be common, it's such an offensive, trollish act that I feel like the game should account for it with a serious penalty. The AFKing thing is a plague, yes, but it's passive behavior (maybe the dog is on fire, or the baby just robbed a 7-11 or something). But the carrier self-kill is a conscious decision to put the team at an ASTOUNDING disadvantage because... I don't know. 

thats someone with some screws loose.  I've never seen this kind of behavior myself.  But yeah -- there should some form of penalty.  I take it the standard team kill mechanics are not kicking in for this sort of thing?

[KNMSU]
Members
5,181 posts
5,424 battles
1 minute ago, Dr_Dirt said:

thats someone with some screws loose.  I've never seen this kind of behavior myself.  But yeah -- there should some form of penalty.  I take it the standard team kill mechanics are not kicking in for this sort of thing?

No. Neither of them pinked out, and, as others have confirmed, it doesn't trigger that. One of them did hang around for a while laughing at us, though.

[CAPGO]
Members
671 posts
4,356 battles

Problem is.. how do you know it was intentional? 

Everyone assumes(and probably is) it's not intentional because no one is THAT stupid..(I hope..)

But how do we prove that he/she is really not THAT stupid?

This is classic case of.."Not guilty until proven guilty"

Edited by 0806sung

[KNMSU]
Members
5,181 posts
5,424 battles
1 minute ago, 0806sung said:

Everyone assumes(and probably is) it's not intentional because no one is THAT stupid..(I hope..)

Uh... I'm pretty sure that a person who lines up a manual target torpedo drop on their own ship 5 seconds after the match begins is 100% guilty of doing it intentionally.

[-V-]
Members
810 posts
3,899 battles
3 hours ago, alexf24 said:

They should be seriously penalized (as-in a 5-day ban or something similar). It is worse than AFK (which can at times be unintended, as you wisely mentioned your real-life example of your dog being on fire).

A good way to hurt the team. If you plan to do that, stay out and vent in another game.

Totally agree. Though not sure about the length of the penalty.

Most TK is accidental but a CV killing them-self, should be unforgivable.

• Cool 1

[-V-]
Members
810 posts
3,899 battles
5 minutes ago, 0806sung said:

Please explain how a CV player can kill themselves accidentally.

Sign in to follow this