You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HazeGrayUnderway

Comedic Moment: What's wrong with this picture?

20 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,177 posts
14,605 battles

I had a late night match with a sudden, hilarious moment.  Take a look at this picture and can you tell what's funny about it?

afkAb7D.jpg

The story behind that:

Spoiler

It's a Des Moines with a Catapult Fighter.  DM's Radar Consumable Slot has options to replace it with Catapult Fighter or Spotting Plane.  I've seen someone like Eurobeat play DM without Radar and use the Spotter Plane but those kind of players are exceedingly rare.  Matter of fact, Eurobeat is the ONLY one I've seen use the Spotter Plane instead of Radar.  The Spotter gives extra range.  But a Catapult Fighter?  Serves no purpose whatsoever, most especially since it replaces the precious, AWESOME Des Moines Radar.

What made this so funny was early in the match, that DM was sailing just behind a BB, Udaloi, and beside a Dmitri Donskoi.  The Donskoi got deleted by a BB, so that left the DM.  I was playing with my div mates who dropped me some smoke while mine was on CD.  The great concern was DM pushing up and using Radar on us.  We almost had to bail because he was closing in, but our gunfire drove him back.  Only later, when you see the screenshot, was my div mate laughing his a$$ off in Discord.

Me:  "What's so funny?"

Div Mate:  "Look at the DM, tell me what's wrong."

Me:  "I don't know, he's... wait... Is that a catapult fighter?"

Div Mate:  "Yeah, and here we were worried he was going to light us with Radar earlier for his teammates to shoot us."

Me:  "Daaaaaammmmnnn :Smile_teethhappy:"

• Funny 3

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts

Hmmm... Loyang is pushing a Des Moines who has a spotter plane up in open water with like 20 seconds left in the game begging to get deleted?

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,177 posts
14,605 battles
3 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

Hmmm... Loyang is pushing a Des Moines who has a spotter plane up in open water with like 20 seconds left in the game begging to get deleted?

14 minutes ago, Paintpro_1 said:

Seamen? 

It's a Des Moines that slotted a Catapult Fighter instead of Radar :Smile_teethhappy:  You can see it orbiting the DM.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,240 posts
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's a Des Moines that slotted a Catapult Fighter instead of Radar :Smile_teethhappy:  You can see it orbiting the DM.

I didn't know that was an either/or I thought they always got radar cause I've never seen one without it.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,177 posts
14,605 battles
3 minutes ago, w4spl3g said:

I didn't know that was an either/or I thought they always got radar cause I've never seen one without it.

I've never seen a DM in a match slot a catapult fighter.  The only time I seen one slot the Spotter Plane over the Radar is Eurobeat.

[BBICT]
Members
3,375 posts
3,573 battles

Huh...maybe he REALLY hates CVs? :fish_palm:  I've thought about trying the spotter plane build on something, but I'm no Eurobeat, LOL... 

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,769 posts
4,582 battles

I thought I heard someone going on the forums about using fighter in his Des Moines just to get more firepower against carrier...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,418 posts
9,614 battles

I mount a fighter on my DM for Co-Op battles.

I do this to remove the non-RNG bonus before clan battles.

With the way bots operate, radar is useless.

With the spotter, the DM can really stand off and spam HE from long distance.  If you have a spotter mod, it lengthens the spotter up-time.

It's all a matter of supporting your team.  For clan battles -- radar obviously. 

In Random, one is more likely to be fighting for ones-self.  So be more aloof, distant, and non-supportive to just spam-farm HE all mission long.

So you notice the DM is in a lightly armored cruiser and managed to survive till the end of the battle?  That's how.

Probably has excellent damage numbers.  I saw an article recently stating Damage==Victory.  Here's your proof (lol).

Yes, I've done this with the Duca D'Aosta and worked the captain to 10 points.  IFHE made it much more annoying to enemy ships.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,563 posts
3,539 battles
1 hour ago, Vladeshi said:

Akizuki killed a Montana by shooting it.

This is what I was thinking also

[POP]
Members
858 posts
9,841 battles

The Des Moines got erased by a GZ the last few matches and promised himself it would not happen again, no matter the cost.

I don't blame the poor guy.  (GZ insta-deletes will make you do crazy things)

Edited by Gerbertz

[XBRTC]
Members
1,424 posts
7,475 battles
5 hours ago, pyantoryng said:

I thought I heard someone going on the forums about using fighter in his Des Moines just to get more firepower against carrier...

Christ, BFT+AFT+upgrade modules+signal flags is the way to get more firepower against carriers. If you think that a cat fighter is going to help you any more than doing those things... 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,177 posts
14,605 battles
9 hours ago, AVR_Project said:

I mount a fighter on my DM for Co-Op battles.

I do this to remove the non-RNG bonus before clan battles.

With the way bots operate, radar is useless.

With the spotter, the DM can really stand off and spam HE from long distance.  If you have a spotter mod, it lengthens the spotter up-time.

It's all a matter of supporting your team.  For clan battles -- radar obviously. 

In Random, one is more likely to be fighting for ones-self.  So be more aloof, distant, and non-supportive to just spam-farm HE all mission long.

So you notice the DM is in a lightly armored cruiser and managed to survive till the end of the battle?  That's how.

Probably has excellent damage numbers.  I saw an article recently stating Damage==Victory.  Here's your proof (lol).

Yes, I've done this with the Duca D'Aosta and worked the captain to 10 points.  IFHE made it much more annoying to enemy ships.

I looked the guy up afterwards.  He is a strange player with his Tier VII+ USN Cruisers.

He only had 11 DM games, so I gave him a pass because he's feeling the ship out.  His prior VII-IX USN Cruiser experience is weird.

From Pensacola through Baltimore, his damage average is AWFUL.  The weird part is he played a respectable amount of games in those Cruisers and had some decent win rates.

59 matches in Pensacola with 54% WR, 23k dmg avg.

71 matches in NOLA and maintained a 50% WR in that terrible Cruiser is respectable in my book, but 30k dmg avg is low.

91 matches in Baltimore and had a 56% WR is great!  But he averages 31k damage with it.

It's just his Dmg Avg really is bad.  Typically, poor WR% goes hand in hand with poor dmg avg, but not in this guy's case.  It's decent, because he has an okay to a good amount of games with these ships and maintained a fair WR%.  It's not like someone saying, "I got a 70% WR with ___ ship!" but they only got 15 battles logged with it.

Overall he's got 4,870 PVP matches under his belt with 51.68% WR, so he's not a sh*tter.  Those damage averages though are a weird low anomaly, yet he has a fair win rate.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[STW]
Members
658 posts
4,438 battles

Also looks like you have a Yueyang trying to sail into the next map.

[PT8TO]
Members
1,410 posts
13,339 battles

Spotter plane on DM is OP.....   only i know if i am being serious or not:Smile_Default:

Actually I think i will use it tonight lol

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

I was in a match where a Des Moines came in without radar (and with a catapult fighter) he was in a 3 person division and did nothing but hug the map edge the whole fight. Not even sure he even fired a shot the whole match.

[PNG]
[PNG]
Beta Testers
225 posts
8,217 battles

Funny story. I was in a DD contesting a cap with a DM behind me. the enemy DD showed up, we traded a few shots, and he smoked up. I typed in chat for DM to radar. I looked back and saw him launch a fighter. I gave up that cap and went elsewhere. A few moments later the DM ate some torps and died...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,418 posts
9,614 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I looked the guy up afterwards.  He is a strange player with his Tier VII+ USN Cruisers.

He only had 11 DM games, so I gave him a pass because he's feeling the ship out.  His prior VII-IX USN Cruiser experience is weird.

From Pensacola through Baltimore, his damage average is AWFUL.  The weird part is he played a respectable amount of games in those Cruisers and had some decent win rates.

59 matches in Pensacola with 54% WR, 23k dmg avg.

71 matches in NOLA and maintained a 50% WR in that terrible Cruiser is respectable in my book, but 30k dmg avg is low.

91 matches in Baltimore and had a 56% WR is great!  But he averages 31k damage with it.

It's just his Dmg Avg really is bad.  Typically, poor WR% goes hand in hand with poor dmg avg, but not in this guy's case.  It's decent, because he has an okay to a good amount of games with these ships and maintained a fair WR%.  It's not like someone saying, "I got a 70% WR with ___ ship!" but they only got 15 battles logged with it.

Overall he's got 4,870 PVP matches under his belt with 51.68% WR, so he's not a sh*tter.  Those damage averages though are a weird low anomaly, yet he has a fair win rate.

I think that being able to survive the battle is important to winning.   He was alive late in the game...  with the fighter flying.

I was wrong in saying he had a spotter mounted -- symbol shows a fighter.   Fighters don't get shot down as quick as spotters, and they stay up longer.  But they won't extend the gun/detection range.

My guess is that he was doing the cruiser job -- killing destroyers...  and is about to accomplish that task again.

Running the rental Groz in clan battles had  4 spotters shot down in one match.  The Groz is an AA machine.  Fighters last longer.

If you have a Groz or Gearing behind an island nearby, don't waste your spotter on it.  It'll last about 8 seconds.

Since I don't know the name, I'm only guessing.  And I'd guess he survives more than a normal number of missions.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,177 posts
14,605 battles
1 hour ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

I was in a match where a Des Moines came in without radar (and with a catapult fighter) he was in a 3 person division and did nothing but hug the map edge the whole fight. Not even sure he even fired a shot the whole match.

It looks strange without context, but they were pushing back the reds.  The reds originally had some ships north of A and they pushed them back by the sheer terror of stalking DDs and DWTs, all the way to the north part of the map.  That ploy let us ships in Cap B not worry about gunfire from the north, northwest.  It got to the point that a Montana ran to hide all the way into B5 behind those islands.  He did NOT want to deal with Yueyang DWTs :Smile_teethhappy: