You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
verkhne

USS Indianopolis and US cruiser line changes

37 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
305 posts
6,549 battles

So with the Upcoming cruiser line changes is anything going to happen to this ship? It is already a sort of Pensacola/New Orleans hybrid. Does the downtiering of the other US cruisers not suggest this ship should be downtiered or perhaps buffed? You could argue that it is already balanced for it's tier 7 position but the downtiering by WG of the rest of the US heavy cruisers argues that they are in fact underpowered. So will Indianopolis remain unchanged or get some buffs?

[WOLF3]
Members
18,711 posts
17,055 battles

With the ships that have undergone line splits, revamps, Premiums have not been touched.

Gremyaschy, Fujin / Kamikaze Clones, etc. have all been untouched after their respective lines were revamped.  Enterprise, Saipan were untouched with the USN CV Revamp.  And considering what happened with Ranger, Lexington, Essex in those changes, it was probably best Big-E and Saipan didn't get "buffed" :Smile_teethhappy:

Indianapolis likely won't get altered.  Besides if she went down to VI, she'd lose her Radar.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[TBW]
Members
7,195 posts
13,335 battles
17 minutes ago, verkhne said:

or perhaps buffed?

I like where you are going with this. Maybe a little reload boost.

Edited by Sovereigndawg
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
20,340 posts
13,798 battles

Nothing's going to change about Indy as part of the tech tree split, as far as we know.

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I have a buff idea for our Indys...how about if you put an AA build on it and run AA signals, matchmaking gives you a CV battle at least 50% of the time instead of the 5-10% it gives us now!!  :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
767 posts
5,593 battles
5 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

I have a buff idea for our Indys...how about if you put an AA build on it and run AA signals, matchmaking gives you a CV battle at least 50% of the time instead of the 5-10% it gives us now!!  :cap_rambo:

I've come to the thought that tinkering with MM for one particular ship is probably a bad idea. I did not always think so. In effect; wouldn't that just shift things for all the ships that the "fixed" ship sees or will see after the change? 

You've potentially just moved the problem around without resolving it.

Just buff the AA(if WG determines it needs it) and leave out the MM modification.

My guess is that opening that gift box(special MM favors for all and sundry) is going to be just as bad if not worse than other "fixes" in the end.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Members
284 posts
6,250 battles
1 hour ago, grumpymunky said:

No buffs, but they're giving it a cool new premium camo...

[Snip]

I'll love that lol

It'll pull the sharks closer :D

[RLGN]
Members
9,784 posts
19,296 battles
1 hour ago, grumpymunky said:

No buffs, but they're giving it a cool new premium camo...

image.jpeg.7192634016c37a3e2f1a728a49aff050.jpeg

All you have to do is redeem the code found in 'Men of Courage.' (Not really, of course...)

[LOU1]
Members
3,527 posts
9,368 battles

0.6.2 last year:

• "Indianapolis: decreased main armament reload time from 15 to 14.3 seconds. Also increased side plating armour for main locations of the ship above the citadel from 16 to 22 mm. Such armour will protect the central part of the cruiser's side from HE shell penetration by 130mm or lower guns (Inertia Fuse for HE Shells commander skill not taken into account)."

Members
9,443 posts
11,604 battles

indy is fine for operation, but I would not take it into random       I've done better wit p-cola  (even before the buff)

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,108 posts
7,108 battles

Sub_Octavian stated in a Q&A that Premium ships will be dealt with seperated from the Tech Tree ships.

Spoiler

How will the US cruiser split affect the Premium ships?
I don't think they will affect the Premiums at all, since they're not waiting until a line-rework to rebalance premium ships if needed. Currently they regard the US premium cruisers to work just fine. They're treated as a separate entity, not interconnected with the techtree line.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
112 posts
9,732 battles

Indianapolis is a great ship! Easily in my top 5 favorites. The AP is monstrous, even against BBs, and the HE is very usable. Tier VII is a sweet spot in MM, and the nearly 10km radar is very competitive even bottom tier. I recommend running the radar duration mod if you have it. (I wouldn't be opposed to a buff, but it doesn't need it.)

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,833 posts
8,347 battles

Indianapolis is a good ship.  She has tier 10 radar range at tier 7.  If you can get yourself a Surveillance Radar Modifaction 1 upgrade from a Supercontainer, this gives her a 35 second radar with a 9.9km range which is a nightmare for smoke slumming cruisers.  Her big flaw, really, is that she's not easy to use.  She likes to eat citadel hits and being forced to choose between Hydroacoustic Search and Defensive Fire isn't fun.

• Cool 1

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,989 battles
1 minute ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Indianapolis is a good ship.  She has tier 10 radar range at tier 7.  If you can get yourself a Surveillance Radar Modifaction 1 upgrade from a Supercontainer, this gives her a 35 second radar with a 9.9km range which is a nightmare for smoke slumming cruisers.  Her big flaw, really, is that she's not easy to use.  She likes to eat citadel hits and being forced to choose between Hydroacoustic Search and Defensive Fire isn't fun.

Basically, she's great in divisions but solo it's hard to make her work without a good understanding of the games mechanics as well as having good situational awareness.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
841 posts
14,844 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

If you can get yourself a Surveillance Radar Modifaction 1 upgrade from a Supercontainer, this gives her a 35 second radar with a 9.9km range which is a nightmare for smoke slumming cruisers.

Nice. How do you equip it to a tier 7 cruiser though?

[R-R-R]
Members
1,018 posts
7,811 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I don't think she can mount radar mod because that upgrade is for T9/10 cruiser and DDs.

Personally, I think the ship desperately needs rudder shift buff. 9.1s rudder shift time is just so not-American(worse than T10 DM). Combined the poor rudder with large area above water, thin armor that is weak to both HE and AP, she is just not fun to play with.

Edited by Exciton8964

[PVE]
Members
2,182 posts
5,186 battles

I put Steve Seagull into my Indy, and with 9 points, he has helped it a lot :Smile_Default:

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,421 posts
5,945 battles
13 hours ago, verkhne said:

So with the Upcoming cruiser line changes is anything going to happen to this ship? It is already a sort of Pensacola/New Orleans hybrid. Does the downtiering of the other US cruisers not suggest this ship should be downtiered or perhaps buffed? You could argue that it is already balanced for it's tier 7 position but the downtiering by WG of the rest of the US heavy cruisers argues that they are in fact underpowered. So will Indianopolis remain unchanged or get some buffs?

It really belongs at Tier 6.  As is.

[DOMN8]
Members
151 posts
7,872 battles

I think the Indianapolis is fine, it may lack the extra barrel of the Pensacola, and the amazing secondary locations; but it has great range and mobility (Almost turns as well as the Pensacola). The Radar and AA make it well suited to the tier and I would not have the ship down-tiered because its armor is actually decent for what it is. When the New Orleans moves down to tier 7 it loses its radar and super stealth, it will be about the same as the Indy, but less useful... Indy has Devastating AP and a 16.9km range, that's some good stuff if you ask me!

IMO- Don't move Indy down a tier; when pensa moves I will never touch the ship again (no longer gets the 75% reduction of secondary dispersion with MFSB), and will at least still play my Indy...

Edited by Zarenno

Alpha Tester
7,113 posts
3,722 battles

The Indy needs a RoF boost and Radar duration extended.

Both have been buffed before and literalpy changed nothing. The RoF boost was basically just insulting and the Radar duration didn't affect her at all.