You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Too much smoke!

40 comments in this topic

Members
4,729 posts
8,260 battles

OK.  I know smokers mean well but it's gotten crazy. Greens on my teams are laying down sooooo much smoke I cannot see reds to shoot at em. Do they want to just hide or do they want to help the team?  I do believe that this is out of hand and some (not all) are just putting out smoke with no tactical value to it. I just played 2 games both losses where there was so much smoke I could see NO ONE.  Then come torps outta all this crap.  Whose?  Dunno half the time. Crazy IMO. Confusion. I know smoke was used in real war but this is IMO getting out of hand. Duh. Does anyone else think WG has gone too far with all this damn smoke? Tks

• Cool 1

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,992 battles
1 minute ago, dmckay said:

OK.  I know smokers mean well but it's gotten crazy. Greens on my teams are laying down sooooo much smoke I cannot see reds to shoot at em. Do they want to just hide or do they want to help the team?  I do believe that this is out of hand and some (not all) are just putting out smoke with no tactical value to it. I just played 2 games both losses where there was so much smoke I could see NO ONE.  Then come torps outta all this crap.  Whose?  Dunno half the time. Crazy IMO. Confusion. I know smoke was used in real war but this is IMO getting out of hand. Duh. Does anyone else think WG has gone too far with all this damn smoke? Tks

Not really, the issue I saw during Christmas was the issue of people not checking the minimap for Line of Sight vs them before dropping smoke. I hear people complaining all the time on the forums how they were in an RNCL and dropped smoke but no one was spotting anymore and I think to myself, "Did you check LoS from you to the target vs your backup?"

It's nothing but a lack of tactical situational awareness. It's why it's difficult for so many players to comprehend the Destroyer meta.

[SYN]
Members
3,504 posts
17,982 battles

So the DDs should go ahead and spot without any protection so you can sit back and lob shells. 

What is in it for the DDs?

• Cool 1

Members
4,729 posts
8,260 battles
1 minute ago, Azumazi said:

Not really, the issue I saw during Christmas was the issue of people not checking the minimap for Line of Sight vs them before dropping smoke. I hear people complaining all the time on the forums how they were in an RNCL and dropped smoke but no one was spotting anymore and I think to myself, "Did you check LoS from you to the target vs your backup?"

It's nothing but a lack of tactical situational awareness. It's why it's difficult for so many players to comprehend the Destroyer meta.

Nice.  Technical.  But my point is that many are just dumping smoke with NO grasp of what you are saying. None.  Zero. LOS?  Ha.  Carry on. :Smile_honoring:

[KOI-S]
Members
236 posts
1,509 battles

Smoke, at least at higher tiers is almost used exclusively for defense or baiting torps/radar.
The former, get over it. Dead DD doesn't spot anything. The latter could be helping you more the you think, but I will digress and at least say there is a time and place for it.

I normally ask if Cruisers/BB want it if i am going by, unless its obvious not doing so they will get destroyed from being dumped on.

Edited by xovian

Members
4,729 posts
8,260 battles
1 minute ago, Camo68 said:

So the DDs should go ahead and spot without any protection so you can sit back and lob shells. 

What is in it for the DDs?

HUH?  I don't lob shells. Moreover I am not anti-DD. You missed the whole point of what I was saying, with all due respect. I see DDs laying smoke not for their benefit but thinking it's good for their team.  It is sometimes!  But is not at times.  Get it? :Smile_sceptic:

Members
3,648 posts
6,880 battles

I thought the current trend is whining about too much radar and smoke being useless. I was wrong.

[SYN]
Members
3,504 posts
17,982 battles
6 minutes ago, dmckay said:

HUH?  I don't lob shells. Moreover I am not anti-DD. You missed the whole point of what I was saying, with all due respect. I see DDs laying smoke not for their benefit but thinking it's good for their team.  It is sometimes!  But is not at times.  Get it? :Smile_sceptic:

If you are in the front line you won't have to worry about it.

• Boring 1

Members
4,729 posts
8,260 battles
8 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

If you are in the front line you won't have to worry about it.

Clarify pls. 

[SYN]
Members
3,504 posts
17,982 battles

If you are in front of your DDs smoke wont obscure your vision

Members
4,729 posts
8,260 battles
19 minutes ago, Camo68 said:

If you are in front of your DDs smoke wont obscure your vision

Hmmmm.........ok.  I will push out in front of DDs in a cruiser. Insta death!  Heh.  Can work however if the red team is clueless. Sorta. Maybe! :Smile_sad:

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,458 posts
8,476 battles
55 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Sail a Radar boat :Smile-_tongue:  I know what ya mean. You lock on a target and while bringing guns to bear on said target, your ever so friendly DD, smokes up in the
one spot, that renders that ship invisible. Thus, you can no longer see the opfors boat / boat's and can not fire at him/ them . Yet he/ they can see you and can 
merrily shoot at you with impunity. At least until the smoke clears.  Yes it is/ can be annoying. In my experience, not so common an occurrence .

[SYN]
Members
3,504 posts
17,982 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

Hmmmm.........ok.  I will push out in front of DDs in a cruiser. Insta death!  Heh.  Can work however if the red team is clueless. Sorta. Maybe! :Smile_sad:

Well solves your problem ,or alternatively you can be part of the solution, play a DD and use your smoke properly

[SALVO]
Members
21,713 posts
22,016 battles
2 hours ago, Azumazi said:

Very true.

If a DD is going to lay smoke for his team, IMO, it becomes his responsibility to then SPOT for those players he smoked up.  Don't lay smoke intentionally team mates to hide behind and shoot without being spotted, but then sit in your own smoke!!!  You have to get out there and SPOT the enemy team for your guys.

The only real reason to lay smoke and not spot is perhaps if it's just to hide movement.  But honestly that rarely happens.  It tends to be a waste of a smoke charge.

• Cool 1

Members
4,729 posts
8,260 battles
20 hours ago, Crucis said:

Very true.

If a DD is going to lay smoke for his team, IMO, it becomes his responsibility to then SPOT for those players he smoked up.  Don't lay smoke intentionally team mates to hide behind and shoot without being spotted, but then sit in your own smoke!!!  You have to get out there and SPOT the enemy team for your guys.

The only real reason to lay smoke and not spot is perhaps if it's just to hide movement.  But honestly that rarely happens.  It tends to be a waste of a smoke charge.

I guess that is what I was trying to say. I better shut up about smoke. Some seem to think the more the better.  BUT..there is too much stupid smoke IMO. 

[SALVO]
Members
21,713 posts
22,016 battles
On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 8:23 PM, dmckay said:

I guess that is what I was trying to say. I better shut up about smoke. Some seem to think the more the better.  BUT..there is too much stupid smoke IMO. 

No, you're not really wrong, dmckay.  Perhaps it's not a case of "too much" smoke, but rather poorly used smoke.  A DD should never lay smoke for his team unless he's ready to then spot for the team mates he's obscured with his smoke.  It's a huge mistake to lay smoke for your team and then park yourself in that smoke, unless you know with absolute certainty that someone else is spotting.

Members
4,729 posts
8,260 battles
10 minutes ago, Crucis said:

No, you're not really wrong, dmckay.  Perhaps it's not a case of "too much" smoke, but rather poorly used smoke.  A DD should never lay smoke for his team unless he's ready to then spot for the team mates he's obscured with his smoke.  It's a huge mistake to lay smoke for your team and then park yourself in that smoke, unless you know with absolute certainty that someone else is spotting.

THIS ^  is what I meant and see too much of.  Mindless smoke for no good tactical reason. Tks.  SMOKE....and then just sit in it. :Smile_sad:  Well many ships now have it and by God they will use it...yup. :Smile_teethhappy:

[SALVO]
Members
21,713 posts
22,016 battles
3 minutes ago, dmckay said:

THIS ^  is what I meant and see too much of.  Mindless smoke for no good tactical reason. Tks.  SMOKE....and then just sit in it. :Smile_sad:  Well many ships now have it and by God they will use it...yup. :Smile_teethhappy:

Oh, I don't mind DDs wanting to smoke up and shoot.  BUT they need to be aware of whether there's going to be someone spotting for them if they do smoke up.  If you're the only DD on your side of the map and have a number of team mates well behind you engaging the enemy ships in front of you, there's a really high chance that you're spotting for them.  And smoking up to shoot, even if you do it off to the side and don't block your team mates' line of sight, may still cause your team mates to lose sight of the enemies because you're no longer spotting.

This is a relatively subtle point that requires a good understanding of the smoke and spotting mechanics.  And not everyone has a good understanding of these things, particularly in the mid tiers.

[DDMAF]
Members
1,890 posts
12,305 battles

I love how many of you guys just decided that the OP needed a big glass of a-hole for actually bringing up a totally valid subject. Keep shining on, you glorious, howling apes! What would Internet forums be without you, after all?

Anyway, he's right: there is a very annoying tendency for dds to pop smoke either the second they enter a cap, or the instant they're spotted. It is a tactic that is often detrimental to the team, and rarely poses any real value to the dd player. I find it more prevalent at lower tiers, and usually Nicholas and Farragut are the most common ships to do this, but that's only anecdotal evidence. I suspect that many higher tier players have a solid base of experience in CAs and BBs or have learned to play without smoke at all, and thus are less likely to use it until necessary.

I was guilty of doing just that until I started to play bigger ships with more frequentcy. It's just one more example of how players can benefit and improve by getting experience in a wide range of ship types and play styles.

Errrrr.. what I really meant to say was: lol I thought the complaint was about too much radar lol now it's too much smoke git gud lol maybe play a dd and use smoke properly lol noob. 

Members
4,729 posts
8,260 battles
23 hours ago, legozer said:

I love how many of you guys just decided that the OP needed a big glass of a-hole for actually bringing up a totally valid subject. Keep shining on, you glorious, howling apes! What would Internet forums be without you, after all?

Anyway, he's right: there is a very annoying tendency for dds to pop smoke either the second they enter a cap, or the instant they're spotted. It is a tactic that is often detrimental to the team, and rarely poses any real value to the dd player. I find it more prevalent at lower tiers, and usually Nicholas and Farragut are the most common ships to do this, but that's only anecdotal evidence. I suspect that many higher tier players have a solid base of experience in CAs and BBs or have learned to play without smoke at all, and thus are less likely to use it until necessary.

I was guilty of doing just that until I started to play bigger ships with more frequentcy. It's just one more example of how players can benefit and improve by getting experience in a wide range of ship types and play styles.

Errrrr.. what I really meant to say was: lol I thought the complaint was about too much radar lol now it's too much smoke git gud lol maybe play a dd and use smoke properly lol noob. 

TKS and I agree.  No big deal but Oh WOW the spew venom. Don't think some even heard what my little point was. 

The longer this game goes on the more you see players begin to act like WoT types.  They start out taters.  They play all day. They spend $. They get big win rates. They then start the toxic carp.  I see it happening now. Slow but sure. I now see players putting down others for win rate.  Posting "look at me!" matches. Posting others numbers....just to put them down. I knew this would happen given time.  Game was SO nice and polite when I joined. :Smile_sceptic:

[AK-47]
Members
559 posts
3,290 battles
7 minutes ago, dmckay said:

They start out taters.  They play all day. They spend $. They get big win rates. They then start the toxic carp.  I see it happening now.

Don't eat toxic carp! I've recently discovered you can hide in enemy smoke. lol. Also never thought about dd's not spotting WHILE IN smoke, good to know. I do have one question. How do you spot a dd?