You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
warspite1

15 inch gun ranges

11 comments in this topic

Members
1 post
5,316 battles

Not holding my breath but complained about major discrepancies regarding 15 inch gun range. My gifted Richelieu BB has a range of 25kms more "realistic" while my earned ship Monarch has a range of 18kms. Didn't pay for either but certainly no interest in upgrading to lion with its larger guns and ranges of 18.9 and 20.7kms respectively.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,181 posts
11,169 battles

Don't worry about it, you shouldn't be more than 18k away from the enemy anyway.

• Cool 2

[5D]
Members
2,836 posts
17,569 battles

Let us know how many things you hit from 25km.

You'll probably find that dispersion is not your friend at that range.

Members
4,729 posts
8,263 battles
28 minutes ago, warspite1 said:

Not holding my breath but complained about major discrepancies regarding 15 inch gun range. My gifted Richelieu BB has a range of 25kms more "realistic" while my earned ship Monarch has a range of 18kms. Didn't pay for either but certainly no interest in upgrading to lion with its larger guns and ranges of 18.9 and 20.7kms respectively.

Range?  Hell I hardly ever get hit by a BB that is not at least 15k or closer. Don't know why some try to shoot at 20+k.  Fun....ya. Productive?  Rarely.l

Edited by dmckay

[HYDRO]
Members
3,563 posts
5,062 battles

If it were some slow a** moving ship that wasnt able to get anywhere I would understand your issue. But you can do 30.4 knots without the speed boost and flag. I cant see what more range would do for you when you can just move into the action.

[CVA16]
Members
2,763 posts
8,046 battles

th?id=OIP.RtGeszUb-yjGTAhAJ1YJnwHaHu&pid

Get in at 12 and pummel the crap out of them. Duck and weave your fat azz off. Get out when DDs swarm you. BBs don't snipe to extent. I start shooting when I can get a clear range and spot. Push in and cover. Just me. Like bringing lead to the reds.

[WOLF2]
Alpha Tester
2,400 posts
7,872 battles

range is a double edged sword. sure you may get to shoot at someone without being shot back, but the time it takes to get that far gives even other BBs a slight chance to dodge.

EDIT: I find my Iowa's range upgrade worthless since the likelihood of hitting something at 21km is next to nil.

Edited by EmperorMaxwell

[PVE]
Beta Testers
322 posts
4,075 battles

it cool to have 25km range but have anyone else notice you loose your scout plane on the Richelieu when you take hull B... mind you it does upgrade alot of secondary and AA.....  

[XBRTC]
Members
2,883 posts
9,089 battles

The discrepancies that you're noticing in range are not due to the ballistics of the shell, exactly. The rounds themselves could almost certainly manage to fly 3-5 times further, if fired on the proper trajectory. The problem is the fire control capability. This is why, for instance, FUSO has such a stupidly short range for the A-hull, while the C-hull goes up to 21.8. The fire control systems were upgraded substantially in the late 1930's.

The way that the game implements these improvements, though, feels a little forced and artificial. That said, it's a casual game, not a real simulation where you're working the coincidental rangefinder and calculating lead angles using a whiz wheel and looking for colored splashes where your shots fall and calling out corrections based on that.

... though, now that I think about it, I'd probably play that game.