Jump to content
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CRGKevin

Should I Sell Bogue and Stick with Surface Combatants?

18 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Members
141 posts
1,824 battles

So, I occasionally run US carriers, with my highest being Bogue, with the intention of going further down as time went on, as a side project to running battleships. All was fine and good, I'd run matches a few times a week or even daily depending on how I felt, and even managed to get the good fighters and the AS configuration. I could dominate the skies on a good day, and often completely neutralize the strike ability of the enemy CVs! It was quite fun, and I could protect the lumbering battleships that I usually am in from air attack, which was also really nice. 

 

Fast forward to the present: I've been on a bit of a hiatus due to some now solved technical issues, and look in to taking Bogue out now that I'm back in the groove of things. But US CVs have had their AS loadouts removed, and while I have a reasonable strike capability, I'm unable to effectively counter enemy fighters, let alone strike craft, and instead it's now the Japanese who get AS options, further neutering my ability to dominate the skies. Instead, I now only get one set air group composition, and no options to change them. 

 

So, since the particular play style of carriers that I know and enjoy is gone, what should I do? Do I adjust and accept that I now can't counter enemy aircraft directly, altering everything I know and enjoy for the changes meta, or do I sell Bogue to fund the surface combatants I know and love, and never look back at my stint with carriers? 

 

Presently I'm leaning towards the latter option. Note that I'm unwilling to grind the Japanese carriers either, I haven't got any Japanese ships, I'm not a huge fan of them anyways. Not to mention that my particular tastes and sensibilities see Japanese carriers as rather ugly contraptions as well...

Edited by CRGKevin
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,322
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,737 posts
10,776 battles

Keep it, if nothing else it will be useful for any CV centric missions that come up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,880
[RLGN]
Members
9,784 posts
19,296 battles
10 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Keep it, if nothing else it will be useful for any CV centric missions that come up.

I recommend the same OP.

As others say; it’s not the same as in Randoms; but I would also recommend playing carriers in co-op until you get the hang of them. If nothing else it lets you practice and work on your micro-managing skills against more predictable opponents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
141 posts
1,824 battles
47 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I recommend the same OP.

As others say; it’s not the same as in Randoms; but I would also recommend playing carriers in co-op until you get the hang of them. If nothing else it lets you practice and work on your micro-managing skills against more predictable opponents.

Hmm, might give that a whirl. Might help me adapt to using a CV in a more strike oriented role, and I can keep using my CV captain for CVs. (Granted, he's only six points, but he'd still be pretty worthless on a surface ship...) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,512
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,137 posts
19,951 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Keep it, if nothing else it will be useful for any CV centric missions that come up.

I second this wholeheartedly. The low tier USN carriers are quite good even if you do poorly with carriers. Fully upgraded, with 10+ point captains and combat signals, they can dominate the IJN carriers. Having a carrier that you can use to farm the missions is a good thing even if you only use them occasionally. The low tier IJN carriers are good but you really have to micromanage your squads and pick your targets very carefully since the planes are so fragile. I kept my Langley and Bogue, sold the tier 4 & 5 IJN carriers. 

BTW if you want to grind up your CV captain without playing the carriers, plop them in low tier premium ships like Albany. The captains CV skills are useless in a surface ship but at low tier more depends on player skill aiming the guns. I did this to get all my CV captains to at least 11 points and did it in Co-op. 

Edited by Taylor3006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
141 posts
1,824 battles

Of course, the new French battleships are available now, and that port slot is looking rather valuable. Which definitely could be shifting the calculations a bit in favor of selling...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100
[BZERK]
Members
745 posts
3,752 battles

Hang in there. Low tiers in USN carriers are tough, and it'll get a lot harder before it gets easier. I was there, and I'm out of it. Just stick with it and you'll be ok.

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41
[DONUT]
Members
438 posts
6,100 battles

Go to the Independence.  Play it in coop.  Learn strafe, manual drops and other CV tricks.  The Independence still fares well after the "balance".  And there are times in challenges and missions that you need a CV.  Most of us who play USN CV are really disappointed now.  If we keep the pressure on WG, or they see almost no USN CVs in battles, they may change the balance.  I encourage everyone to keep your higher tier USN CV out of random battles.  IJN can play IJN.  That will get dull. 

Before you move into French BB wait for the new to wear off.  They seem to burn easily when HE is used against them.  I played the Richilieu in PT and it is a fun ship in scenarios.  You can buff the secondaries and AA to 7-8km range.  You focus on long range gunnery while any CL/CA, DD or plane that gets too close is taken out.  But in random battles against T9-10 it doesn't hold up. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
81 posts
453 battles

I recommend sticking with the bouge, it gets a lot better with the indy, the ranger isn't great, but everything on is totally epic and you get lots of damage (but credits aren't super) and have a seemingly endless reserve of planes. 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40
Members
403 posts
2,444 battles
On 2/26/2018 at 5:48 PM, CRGKevin said:

So, I occasionally run US carriers, with my highest being Bogue, with the intention of going further down as time went on, as a side project to running battleships. All was fine and good, I'd run matches a few times a week or even daily depending on how I felt, and even managed to get the good fighters and the AS configuration. I could dominate the skies on a good day, and often completely neutralize the strike ability of the enemy CVs! It was quite fun, and I could protect the lumbering battleships that I usually am in from air attack, which was also really nice. 

 

Fast forward to the present: I've been on a bit of a hiatus due to some now solved technical issues, and look in to taking Bogue out now that I'm back in the groove of things. But US CVs have had their AS loadouts removed, and while I have a reasonable strike capability, I'm unable to effectively counter enemy fighters, let alone strike craft, and instead it's now the Japanese who get AS options, further neutering my ability to dominate the skies. Instead, I now only get one set air group composition, and no options to change them. 

 

So, since the particular play style of carriers that I know and enjoy is gone, what should I do? Do I adjust and accept that I now can't counter enemy aircraft directly, altering everything I know and enjoy for the changes meta, or do I sell Bogue to fund the surface combatants I know and love, and never look back at my stint with carriers? 

 

Presently I'm leaning towards the latter option. Note that I'm unwilling to grind the Japanese carriers either, I haven't got any Japanese ships, I'm not a huge fan of them anyways. Not to mention that my particular tastes and sensibilities see Japanese carriers as rather ugly contraptions as well...

sell it, the us cv line is dead, unless you have midway, this games dev team is all but in-ept. They dont play this game at all and the changes to the u.s  CV proves it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,822 battles

Air Superiority Bogue is dumb.  You'll be glad you adjusted and started playing CV.  Really the low tier CV is just horrendous.  I don't recommend it to anyone because apparently they will never get it right.  I guess they had problems with people clubbing before they made Tier IV and V point and click only, but to be honest, Air Superiority loadouts were just as bad.  They piss off the enemy carrier and waste his time, but they still keep losing.

Don't judge these until you have the Independence.  It really is a whole different game and loads better than anything you experienced before it.

 

Of course if you just want to clear the skies over and over again but with really weak strike capability, you can always buy a Saipan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,322
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,737 posts
10,776 battles
10 minutes ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

Air Superiority Bogue is dumb.  You'll be glad you adjusted and started playing CV.  Really the low tier CV is just horrendous.  I don't recommend it to anyone because apparently they will never get it right.  I guess they had problems with people clubbing before they made Tier IV and V point and click only, but to be honest, Air Superiority loadouts were just as bad.  They piss off the enemy carrier and waste his time, but they still keep losing.

Don't judge these until you have the Independence.  It really is a whole different game and loads better than anything you experienced before it.

 

Of course if you just want to clear the skies over and over again but with really weak strike capability, you can always buy a Saipan.

There is no such thing as an Air Superiority or Strike American CV anymore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5
[ARRGG]
Members
22 posts
1,328 battles
On ‎3‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 1:44 AM, sartt said:

sell it, the us cv line is dead, unless you have midway, this games dev team is all but in-ept. They dont play this game at all and the changes to the u.s  CV proves it.

I disagree. US CVs aren't bad at all. although I don't have much experience with Bogue (I skipped it with free xp to get manual drops), the Langley and independence both gave me good impressions. I'm looking forward to getting Ranger, as it has more planes. 

On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:48 PM, CRGKevin said:

So, I occasionally run US carriers, with my highest being Bogue, with the intention of going further down as time went on, as a side project to running battleships. All was fine and good, I'd run matches a few times a week or even daily depending on how I felt, and even managed to get the good fighters and the AS configuration. I could dominate the skies on a good day, and often completely neutralize the strike ability of the enemy CVs! It was quite fun, and I could protect the lumbering battleships that I usually am in from air attack, which was also really nice. 

 

Fast forward to the present: I've been on a bit of a hiatus due to some now solved technical issues, and look in to taking Bogue out now that I'm back in the groove of things. But US CVs have had their AS loadouts removed, and while I have a reasonable strike capability, I'm unable to effectively counter enemy fighters, let alone strike craft, and instead it's now the Japanese who get AS options, further neutering my ability to dominate the skies. Instead, I now only get one set air group composition, and no options to change them. 

 

So, since the particular play style of carriers that I know and enjoy is gone, what should I do? Do I adjust and accept that I now can't counter enemy aircraft directly, altering everything I know and enjoy for the changes meta, or do I sell Bogue to fund the surface combatants I know and love, and never look back at my stint with carriers? 

 

Presently I'm leaning towards the latter option. Note that I'm unwilling to grind the Japanese carriers either, I haven't got any Japanese ships, I'm not a huge fan of them anyways. Not to mention that my particular tastes and sensibilities see Japanese carriers as rather ugly contraptions as well...

I suggest grind it up to Independence ASAP!!! once u get manual drops and strafes it becomes lot easier to deal damage. Once u get to Ranger u basically have unlimited planes unless ur just extremely careless. the good thing about having less planes in the lower tiers is that it teaches u how to use planes efficiently. 

To sum everything up, keep the Bogue, get the Independence, and u will have a very fun time. 

Note: try to target Japanese BBs as they have terrible AA

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40
Members
403 posts
2,444 battles
On 3/16/2018 at 10:37 PM, shotgun2010 said:

I disagree. US CVs aren't bad at all. although I don't have much experience with Bogue (I skipped it with free xp to get manual drops), the Langley and independence both gave me good impressions.

I suggest grind it up to Independence ASAP!!! once u get manual drops and strafes it becomes lot easier to deal damage. Once u get to Ranger u basically have unlimited planes unless ur just extremely careless. the good thing about having less planes in the lower tiers is that it teaches u how to use planes efficiently. 

To sum everything up, keep the Bogue, get the Independence, and u will have a very fun time. 

Note: try to target Japanese BBs as they have terrible AA

"I'm looking forward to getting Ranger, as it has more planes. "

 

 

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... oh boy, aren't you in for a shocker.... wait til you run into a Saipan, or a Air superiority IJN CV... lol  I like people like you. You sail into your doom if you play a ranger, and wait til your planes get insta deleted by Cruisers with AA DF before they even get near a ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5
[ARRGG]
Members
22 posts
1,328 battles
14 hours ago, sartt said:

"I'm looking forward to getting Ranger, as it has more planes. "

 

 

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..... oh boy, aren't you in for a shocker.... wait til you run into a Saipan, or a Air superiority IJN CV... lol  I like people like you. You sail into your doom if you play a ranger, and wait til your planes get insta deleted by Cruisers with AA DF before they even get near a ship.

ummm... that's why I don't fly my planes near cruisers. I got the ranger few days ago, liked it a lot. once I got b hull, I never ran out of planes, not even once in over 20 battles. CV players need to be able to manage planes effectively. flying them over a clump of cruisers is definitely not efficient use. I always target Japanese BBs, cuz they have horrible AA. only lose 1 or 2 planes every bomb run. I did run into a air supremacy IJN CV once, terribly annoying. couldn't do anything with my planes. did manage to get 50k damage by sneaking my planes around tho...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40
Members
403 posts
2,444 battles
On 3/28/2018 at 10:16 PM, shotgun2010 said:

ummm... that's why I don't fly my planes near cruisers. I got the ranger few days ago, liked it a lot. once I got b hull, I never ran out of planes, not even once in over 20 battles. CV players need to be able to manage planes effectively. flying them over a clump of cruisers is definitely not efficient use. I always target Japanese BBs, cuz they have horrible AA. only lose 1 or 2 planes every bomb run. I did run into a air supremacy IJN CV once, terribly annoying. couldn't do anything with my planes. did manage to get 50k damage by sneaking my planes around tho...

pray you dont have me as your opponent when im in my saipan...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40
Members
403 posts
2,444 battles

imagine all your planes being shot down and im sitting above your CV with 3 fighter squadrons.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
969 posts
4,141 battles

stop before you're too invested. Probably the single worst line in the entire game. Take it from an early day CV player who used to love them. I have my Midway unlocked(again), but sold it as soon as the first major nerf hit. Never looked back as they just keep pounding the !@#$ out of it.

Edited by BattlecruiserOperational

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×