You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Soshi_Sone

QE: Clear Skies

24 comments in this topic

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,850 posts
13,067 battles

Considering how everyone (particularly mid Tier BB captains) hate CVs, I'm always disappointed when they don't show up.  When I saw two in this match, I was ecstatic!  Although I've shot down more planes in a match with my QE, this is my first CS in her:

CS.thumb.jpg.98973758421f88778dd3f5dd8ef21725.jpg

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles

Should just be 40 planes or 80% of the carrier-based aircraft in the match (which excludes catapult planes), whichever number is smaller.

So you can still get it vs low-tier carriers who don't even have 40 planes, but it doesn't mean you have to shoot down a billion aircraft when Midway is on the field.

Edited by KiyoSenkan
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
19,241 posts
12,789 battles

Nice! I haven't managed a CS yet at all in over 10k games.

Just did this with my QE as bottom tier

Spoiler

dhSmwiR.jpg

People say she's bad and the performance stats paint her as very mediocre, but she just works for me, for some reason.

[HELLS]
Members
1,703 posts
15,579 battles

Got one in Texas over the weekend. We still lost. My first at that, after two years plus playing the game. I don't do CVs except when a mission comes up that I can handle in a Bogue in Co-op. I have played exactly two games in Random in a CV!

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,678 posts
9,071 battles

I have two Clear Sky's but I got them both before the change to the current system that makes them about as common as unicorns.

[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,731 posts
4,763 battles

Can't say I've gotten them often...  This was a surprise though

GgoR2kG.jpg

[RLGN]
Members
8,283 posts
17,327 battles

First Clear Sky; back before the change; scored driving a STRIKE Bogue.

AA and tail-gunners all the way baby!

[-K-]
Members
614 posts
4,861 battles

Rarely get them now days. Last one was in my cleveland. 

Id love to see this revisited as there are campaign missions for it but most high tier cvs won't feed one ship planes like that

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles

Latest one I've got one in was against an essex in my Taiho, I just farmed his fighters and nibbled at his strike aircraft until I'd done it.

It's surprising that the CV went after you after the second or third wave, gamblers fallacy?

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,162 posts
14,573 battles

Victimizing those Tier IV-V CVs with their very low hangar capacity is where it's at if you want Clear Sky badge.  It takes a "special" kind of CV to keep on feeding a surface ship planes to shoot down, but you can realistically expect that kind of play in the Tier IV-V CV crowd.

Speaking of Clear Sky:

I got that with Bogue today.

X3xbuzV.jpg

EUJwiMW.jpg

2 things let me get Clear Sky:

1.  I had a full spec for air-to-air Bogue.  This isn't my first rodeo with her.

2.  Tier V Bogue fighter > 1 Zuiho fighter + Langley fighter... By a large margin.

FFS, I was able to get Clear Sky before I had to return my fighter for rearming the first time.

And one confession to make:  I did on one occasion at the start of the match, let the Langley of my team take on both fighters while I killed a TB squadron nearby :Smile_hiding: Jerk of a play, I know, but my logic?  The TB squadron is far more dangerous to my team.  Killing that goes a long way in the match because bomber reserves in these tiers are very low.  I also felt very confident in Bogue's fighter to make up for the fighter loss of my team.  I expected the friendly Langley fighter to get overwhelmed but still inflict enough losses on the enemy fighters.  When I killed the TB squad and turned to engage the enemy fighters, they were too weak to resist.  Still ended up killing both enemy fighter units on top of a precious TB squad.

[C-HAG]
Members
483 posts
7,698 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Hide contents

dhSmwiR.jpg

People say she's bad and the performance stats paint her as very mediocre, but she just works for me, for some reason.

This is what I got today

QE.PNG

[HINON]
Supertester
19,241 posts
12,789 battles
1 minute ago, Plaatduutsch said:

This is what I got today

Very nice. Impressive base XP, too. Far better than my example.

[DPG]
Members
897 posts
4,435 battles

Grats! Clear skies is always such a pain.  The last time I got one I was in my Ranger facing a Hiryu and Indy.  I had to shoot down 80 planes before it gave it to me.

[SYN]
Members
334 posts
11,816 battles

Clear Sky in surface ships is always impressive.

My own contribution, only non-CV one so far...

shot-18.02.03_18.27.43-0616.jpg

[-BRS-]
Members
890 posts
7,594 battles
6 hours ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Should just be 40 planes or 80% of the carrier-based aircraft in the match (which excludes catapult planes), whichever number is smaller.

So you can still get it vs low-tier carriers who don't even have 40 planes, but it doesn't mean you have to shoot down a billion aircraft when Midway is on the field.

What, when did they changed?! I must have missed that, Good to know.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,162 posts
14,573 battles
4 hours ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

If you get Clear Sky against a high tier CV, you did some serious ownage.  Getting it with the huge hangar capacity as well as catapult fighters, spotting planes flying around, it's d*mn hard to get in those tiers.

KzVqxVY.jpg

[FML]
Members
1,767 posts
10,138 battles
10 hours ago, Lert said:

Hide contents

dhSmwiR.jpg

Nice.  

I am very jealous - my damage was some 25k over the server average (about 56% more damage) but still only managed a 47% WR in her.  Was putting the hurt out, but my teams refused to be carried.  

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,447 posts
3,875 battles
8 hours ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

I was saying that's what it should be, not what it is.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,850 posts
13,067 battles
2 hours ago, Crusin_Custard said:

Im amazed you got a CS achievement with a QE  :Smile_honoring: :Smile_medal:

The QE is by far the best AA troll in mid tier.  Not just for BBs, but for ALL ships.  A fully air spec'd QE can even hold its own vs T8 CVs, and it completely shreds any unwitting mid tier CV captains who are not aware of its capabilities.

Hell, I literally throw the BB playbook (to avoid getting targeted) out the window when a CV is in game.  I try to find ways to bait the CV captain to send his squadrons to me (e.g., running off without supporting AA ships).  Or put my air bubble (7.2km !!!) across his ingress vector...over friendly DDs being spotted...or helping friendly fighters engaged with enemy fighters.  Unless the CV captain knows about the QE, he won't often even know who is deleting his planes.  They just disappear.

The beauty of the QE is the AA is on ALL THE TIME.  No expendables.  Just designate the target and let the DPM do its job.  The magic here is the DPM of the long range AA mounts.  It's pretty high without the bump. Double it, and it becomes extremely effective...at 7.2km!!!

[-BRS-]
Members
890 posts
7,594 battles
13 hours ago, KiyoSenkan said:

I was saying that's what it should be, not what it is.

Misread it, one of the other forumite pointed it. I agree with your proposal as well.