You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

USS Montpelier?

13 comments in this topic

Members
4,729 posts
8,260 battles

I am not so knowledgeable about this kinda thing but is there a place for the Cleveland class Montpelier on the tech tree?  Reason is I read Pacific War Diary when I was a kid.  As a kid I liked that book. Written by sailor who served on her in WWII. Pretty neat book by a common sailor who described his experiences in WWII serving on her. Think his name was Faley or something like that. I know we have Cleveland in the game now so probably there is no nich for her. Was she any different at all from Cleveland? Just wondering.  Tks.  Maybe a gift ship? Premium for sale?  Whatever. Don't think I have ever heard her mentioned on these forums.  Served honorably.

Vermont needs some respect even though that state has gone kinda lefty loony....HAH.. Sorry.  Been there and it's a beautiful state. 

Edited by dmckay

[HINON]
Supertester
21,365 posts
15,079 battles

Far as I can see she was a standard pattern Cleveland. Could be a premium I guess. Maybe give her a heal and / or radar to set her apart, at the expense of some range.

Members
4,729 posts
8,260 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Far as I can see she was a standard pattern Cleveland. Could be a premium I guess. Maybe give her a heal and / or radar to set her apart, at the expense of some range.

Ya.  Something.  Probably won't happen however. 

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

Like the idea. It's great to know the unique history of a ship like that. It makes playing her a real personal experience I feel

• Cool 1

[USCG]
Members
399 posts
15,297 battles

I recommended a USS Houston (another Cleveland class) after hurricane Harvey hit last year.  Thought it would be a good fund raiser.  Either a premium or a special camo you could purchase & put on your existing Cleveland.  Anywho, never happened...  I grew up about 20 miles from Montpelier and it would be nice to throw the Green Mountain State some recognition!  Yes, the state has her rudder jammed hard to port but she might come back amidships... 

Members
4,729 posts
8,260 battles
36 minutes ago, cgbosn4 said:

I recommended a USS Houston (another Cleveland class) after hurricane Harvey hit last year.  Thought it would be a good fund raiser.  Either a premium or a special camo you could purchase & put on your existing Cleveland.  Anywho, never happened...  I grew up about 20 miles from Montpelier and it would be nice to throw the Green Mountain State some recognition!  Yes, the state has her rudder jammed hard to port but she might come back amidships... 

YES.  Give them thar "Green Mountain Boys" some love. They were very tough in the American Revolution. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

Members
4,729 posts
8,260 battles
1 hour ago, WolfofWarship said:

Like the idea. It's great to know the unique history of a ship like that. It makes playing her a real personal experience I feel

It's a cool book.  The guy who wrote it talks about mostly sleeping on the top deck it was so hot in the S Pacific. Describes Kamikaze attacks.  Scared the hell out of him. Lotta shore bombardments. Ship commissioned in 1942. She was in most all the campaigns in the Pacific. Just a neat book from the perspective of the average sailor who joined up and did his duty. Had never been far from home before the war.  

• Cool 2

[S0L0]
Beta Testers
672 posts
5,012 battles

If we’re gonna honor the Green Mountain State make mine BB-20 USS Vermont. Mikasa needs a dueling partner.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,857 posts
4,072 battles

Necro I Know...Just noticed this thread -  But would love to see this ship in game.  My grandfather,  RIP, served aboard the USS Montpelier during her entire commission and alongside the author James Fahey, who wrote "The pacific war diaries"   I have his autographed copy in my collection which includes his own handwritten notes made in real time along with the authors telling.  It is a treasure.   

• Cool 2

[UTWE]
Members
303 posts
4,231 battles

Not many people would enjoy that as not many enjoy DoY when it's basically the same as KGV. Why pay real money when you can just get it with in-game currency? Besides, there are more ships that need to be put in the game more than another Cleveland, for example, the RN still doesn't have DD's or CV's, as well as that WG, might put in Italian Cruisers and French Destroyers. Also give DD's a break, if you keep adding in Cruisers, especially Cleveland's there's going to be no one who wants to play DD's.

Members
4,729 posts
8,260 battles
5 hours ago, RA6E_ said:

Necro I Know...Just noticed this thread -  But would love to see this ship in game.  My grandfather,  RIP, served aboard the USS Montpelier during her entire commission and alongside the author James Fahey, who wrote "The pacific war diaries"   I have his autographed copy in my collection which includes his own handwritten notes made in real time along with the authors telling.  It is a treasure.   

NOW that is neat.  Read that book when a kid. What I liked is that it was written from the perspective of just your average sailor doing his duty and not some Admiral.  But he put a lot of real life details in that book.  For sure a treasure.  Fahey..ya...that was his name. :Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[KEK]
[KEK]
Beta Testers
82 posts
3,955 battles

Honestly, I think we need the USS Vermont (BB-20) there need to be more Tier-II BB's. The Mighty Monty's already in game effectively with Cleveland, but the USN doesn't have a Tier-II pre-dreadnaught, and the IJN shouldn't be the only one!

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,521 posts
12,810 battles
On 2/26/2018 at 3:22 PM, cgbosn4 said:

If Houston comes to the game it's more likely to be the Northampton class ship.