You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ReddNekk

Descisions... descisions...

20 comments in this topic

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

I believe that I've finally gotten the hang of driving DDs. I've especially been having a lot of fun driving Vampire and Blyskawica. I'm fixing to jump into the shark tank with a tier 8 DD and I have 2 to pick from; Kidd and Lo Yang. both look like they're good botes but I'm undecided as to which one. So, any advice as to which one to use? I'll eventually use both but which would be a good high tier starter? :cap_book:

[HINON]
Modder, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, WoWS Wiki Editor
6,756 posts
4,376 battles

Kidd will likely be more forgiving with her high AA power (for a DD) and heal.

Lo Yang is a cap and smoke pusher with powerful short range torpedoes or long range area denial torpedoes, and of course, hydro.

[TBW]
Members
7,185 posts
13,316 battles

The Harekaze is also a good choice.

8 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

Kidd and Lo Yang.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
13 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

Kidd will likely be more forgiving with her high AA power (for a DD) and heal.

I've been kinda leaning toward Kidd for that reason.

9 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

The Kidd isn't available ATM is it?

Unfortunately, no. I got mine in a Christmas crate.

11 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

The Harekaze is also a good choice

I hear that she is but I don't have her in my port.

[TBW]
Members
7,185 posts
13,316 battles
9 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

I was thinking you were going to buy one, I don't do well in the Kidd but why not use both of them if you have them. Do 5 battles in each and see which you do better with. They have vastly different play styles.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,613 posts
9 minutes ago, ReddNekk said:

I've been kinda leaning toward Kidd for that reason.

Unfortunately, no. I got mine in a Christmas crate.

If you don't have her yet and have enuff FreeExp  you might like the Big Mo  I sure do,   Before I got her I only had the Nola at tier 8 and the Baltimore at tier 9   and both of them play like only just slightly faster BB's

[HYDRO]
Members
2,654 posts
4,416 battles

Depends on what playstyle you enjoy in DDs really. There is no jack of all trades Tier 8 prem DD as the Blyska. I believe all the T8 DDs are pretty good in their own ways, with distinct pros and cons. Kidd as you mention is a nice choice, but one of its big advantages, the AA will only be useful when you end up in a battle with CVs. Lo Yang and Harekaze can use their respective gimmicks (Hydro and Reload Booster if you are into that) in every battle they end up. I guess it comes down to if you want to be a massive danger in caps with the Lo Yang Hydro, or be a Kagero with 3 Akizuki turrets.

Alpha Tester
5,754 posts
2,787 battles
1 hour ago, ReddNekk said:

I believe that I've finally gotten the hang of driving DDs. I've especially been having a lot of fun driving Vampire and Blyskawica. I'm fixing to jump into the shark tank with a tier 8 DD and I have 2 to pick from; Kidd and Lo Yang. both look like they're good botes but I'm undecided as to which one. So, any advice as to which one to use? I'll eventually use both but which would be a good high tier starter? :cap_book:

Kidd because memes.

Members
34 posts
1,694 battles

Loyang is a fun boat, and the hydro helps me more with spotting incoming torps then pushing smokes (a good player will just charge you out of his smoke when he sees it's a Loyang- or flee).  I WISH I had purchased the Kidd, and will buy it as soon as it becomes available again- I love my Sims for it's AA, and the Kidd has a HEAL!!!  Go with the Kidd!!!

-Members-
360 posts
194 battles

If you are set on choosing between the Kidd and the Lo Yang, then take the Kidd. If, however, you are open to other Tier 8 DDs, then I would probably take the Benson. It's basically the Kidd, with less AA and more torps.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

Thanks for the input folks! :Smile_honoring: Since this will be my first plunge into high tier DDriving I'm going to go with Kidd since Kidd seems like she'd be better suited for shoot 'n scoot, which is how I drive Blyskawica and do pretty decently with her.

Lo Yang seems like she'd be a excellent cap contester but I need to get comfortable with high tier DDriving before I go for that. And I expect to get bottom tiered. :cap_haloween:

Wish me luck! :Smile_izmena:

Members
5,575 posts
7,121 battles
2 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

A long term DD hater has been converted!

PRAISE BE!!!

giphy.gif

• Funny 1

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles
11 minutes ago, Wulfgarn said:

A long term DD hater has been converted!

PRAISE BE!!!

I have seen the light Brother! And been dazzled by it's brilliance! :Smile_playing:

You have me confused with someone else Wulf. I've always respected the sneaky 'lil devils but could never seem to get the hang of playing them well until recently.

[LWA]
Members
55 posts
4,367 battles

Have Harekaze, Loyang, and Kidd, with Harekaze being my most played boat and Kidd being second. Personally between the 3, Kidd seems the most fun. Presuming you liked having Vampire's guns singing over islands, you'll probably like doing the same with Kidd.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

After some battles in both Kidd and Lo Yang I've found Lo Yang to be more to my liking. Lo's hydro and 10 high speed torps are just the ticket for cap contesting and having only 4 guns to Kidd's 5 aint a problem to me. The 6.7km ranged torpedoes just means that I have to be careful when setting up a torpedo attack. And the short range can be a good thing since the shorter the distance to the target, the better the chance of getting hits. 

Edited by ReddNekk

Members
842 posts

If that's the case for what you enjoy, then I strongly suggest you work your way up the German DD line.

They get hydro once you hit T7, and are very similar to the LoYang in playstyle.  They have some minor differences:  slightly worse average concealment, much better torpedoes (better range, faster reload, low detectability), better guns (IMHO), but noticeably worse smoke.

Members
4,094 posts
15,015 battles

On advice from folks on this thread and elsewhere I decided to give Harekaze a go. I love it! Lo Yang's in second place now. I've only fought ten battles with Harehaze so far, but I've been doing better with this bote than any other DD that I've driven. I use the 100mm guns and she's not only a respectable torp ambusher but a decent gunboat as well.

I got a Kraken on my 5th battle driving her.

Kaze.thumb.jpg.c6a203f31d7d22deb680df8e35def390.jpg

Members
1,802 posts
9,511 battles

Hey

With the Harekaze; does the lack of HP seem to hurt her: is it imperative to take survival expert to make her a threat in battle?  I want another T8 premium DD but debating should I just wait for the Kidd to become available again?  I have LoYang and it's good fun; not too fat to getting the Z23 but finding the Germans somewhat lacking.  (Even though they are T7, I love my Blyska and my Leningrad, both are great fun).

Pete 

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,613 posts
14 minutes ago, sasquatch_research said:

Hey

With the Harekaze; does the lack of HP seem to hurt her: is it imperative to take survival expert to make her a threat in battle?  I want another T8 premium DD but debating should I just wait for the Kidd to become available again?  I have LoYang and it's good fun; not too fat to getting the Z23 but finding the Germans somewhat lacking.  (Even though they are T7, I love my Blyska and my Leningrad, both are great fun).

Pete 

Try the Benson  it's a good solid ship