You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Krilencu

Some Advice?

Where should I go?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Where should I go?

• Keep where you at! (german Cruisers)
    • Go for the Bismarck!
    • Play other countries ships! (suggest something in the comments below, please?)
    • Don't go for the higher tiers like the Bismarck yet!

34 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
174 battles

Hello mates from the forum!

I just started playing World of Warships, and I have not a lot more than a handful of battles played, and I need some advice. (I am most sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but I couldn't find the newcomer's section)

When I first opened the game I looked at the tech tree, and then I saw the Bismarck at tier VIII and I thought to myself "I need to get that", but then I remembered when I first started to play World of Tanks, I looked at the tech tree, and I saw, the T-34 there at tier V, and Thought to myself "I need to get that legendary Machine", but it turned out to be a nightmare,  I didn't know a thing about the game, for example, I thought the higher the number in accuracy the more accurate the guns were, so I picked all the derp guns, it turned out that the higher the number in accuracy, the more inacurate the guns were, and it took me 2 months to get the T-34!

Then comes the question, (I am currently playing german Cruiser Kolberg at tier III) i'm currently looking foward to get the Battleship Nassau, at tier III, but is that the right choice? are the german ships the right choice for a Ultra-noob like me?

Should I play something else? maybe keep playing the german cruisers or try other countries like USSR, USA or Japan?

Another thing, there was this:

I was playing against bots the other day, and then BOOOM! my ship exploded and it began to sunk, then I asked in the game chat:

I said : 

- What happened? I just got One shotted!

Some other guy on my team :

- It must have been a citadel!

and I was like "what's a citadel?!?!?!?"

then I ask what's a Citadel, and how to avoid it? or do that myself?

I am most sorry if am I a bit stupid by asking those questions, but I didn't do the same when I started playing World of Tanks, and I hated the game for it, and only kept playing it because I wanted the T-34, and after because I wanted other historical Tanks, and due to that horrible experience, I hate World of Tanks.

Thank you in advance for any Advices you can share!

Edited by Krilencu
  • Cool 1

Members
1,352 posts
1,345 battles

Oof... well what kind of style are you looking for? If you are just going for the pretty girl Bismarck then I have you know brawler is the way to go. 

If you want to know about Japanese CA I got you covered. 

[NNC]
Members
2,090 posts
10,710 battles

Stay low tier for first 1k battles (tier 2-4) this is where protected MM is and will greatly help you learn the game. Heck if i was starting out grind out all ship lines to tier 4 gather what you like about them figure out a decent play style and advance in that line

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

I think German battleships are a good first line. They're hard to citadel, so they are more forgiving of mistakes. Their guns disbursion isn't good, and quite a few of them are smaller, both of which make it harder to citadel another ship. But if you're still learning, then I don't think you'll know whether you'll over pen or not, let alone where the citadel is.

I wouldn't go straight for the Bismarck though, as the meta changes from low to medium to high tier. So take your time getting there.

• Cool 1

[PNP]
Members
401 posts
3,323 battles

When I first started, I started off on German cruisers as well. However, my advice is that it really depends on how quickly are you willing are to learn the game mechanics. The German BBs are quite forgiving and have good armor schemes, providing a less frustrating experience. But if you wish to challenge yourself you can continue up the cruiser lines and I'd bet you will learn about ship positioning quickly.  The T5 Konigsberg and T6 Nurnberg have excellent DPM for its tier but virtually no armor. If you are focused on, most likely you aren't going to come out alive. 

Personally, I think going with German cruisers might be the way to go, mainly because you will learn skills earlier that you can apply to other ships.

But German battleships are quite noob friendly as well. You just need to get close to make a real impact. 

• Cool 1

[-RNG-]
[-RNG-]
Members
322 posts
6,333 battles

OP, I would recommend watching some video's - here is just one I picked out for players just starting out.

Good luck!

Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
12 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

Stay low tier for first 1k battles (tier 2-4) this is where protected MM is and will greatly help you learn the game. Heck if i was starting out grind out all ship lines to tier 4 gather what you like about them figure out a decent play style and advance in that line

Really?  1000 battles?  I think one can dip their toes into tier 5 and 6 waters just a tad prior to 1k. 

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
8,014 posts
14,639 battles

You tube is a wealth of knowledge.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=world+of+warships

Like type in World of warships citadel and you get.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=world+of+warships+citadel

Good luck Fair RNGs and Welcome aboard.

[HINON]
Members
11,212 posts

I would play 3-4 different lines to T4 or T5 to get a better feel for what play styles you like. Then come back and tell us what you found out and we can better advise you on a line to go up. I will say overall the german BB line is fairly forgiving as other players have noted but you still need overall play skills to succeed at higher tiers. That's why it's a good idea to stay at T3-T4 running multiple lines to become  a better player. Then you can dip your toe into T5 and up play and start to learn more advanced tactics.

• Cool 2

[TROY]
Members
212 posts
2,936 battles
23 minutes ago, JessieTheKitty said:

8 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

Really?  1000 battles?  I think one can dip their toes into tier 5 and 6 waters just a tad prior to 1k. 

I would agree that he needs to not advance too quickly but 1000 games is a bit much.  I spread out across multiple lines grinding out ships and had my first T10 inside 1500 battles.  Not to mention that games are much longer on this compared to WoT and 1000 battles takes much more IRL time.  Perhaps for the first 100-200 he should stay under T5 if he isn't confident but not 1000.

Edited by biggie1447

[-AGW-]
Members
847 posts
11,814 battles

German BBs are solid performers. However, starting at Gneisenau and certainly Bismarck you'll need a 19 point captain to make them really work, because without secondaries and all the fire prevention you will have some very short battles.

This gives you some idea how much time you need to spend in lower tier ships before making the attempt.  

[TNG]
Members
395 posts
12,731 battles
Just now, NashW8 said:

German BBs are solid performers. However, starting at Gneisenau and certainly Bismarck you'll need a 19 point captain to make them really work, because without secondaries and all the fire prevention you will have some very short battles.

Mind explaining? Saying that a ship needs a 19 point captain to make them really work is a little counter to the idea that German BBs are solid performers...

I have never feared a German BB with the exception of the Konig and Scharnhorst.

[HIT]
Members
164 posts
8,231 battles

With the exception of Nassau and König I’d have to disagree with the idea that German BBs are forgiving. Ships like Kaiser and Bayern can be frustrating without a good deal of experience.

The US line seemed more noob friendly and their anemic speed keeps players from yoloing early and teaches positioning more quickly. They have decent protection and accuracy as well.

IJN BBs demand a more experienced hand at positioning and aiming. UK BBs just teach you how to play other UK BBs.

Edited by HQ_21

[-AGW-]
Members
847 posts
11,814 battles
44 minutes ago, _Big_Lou_ said:

Mind explaining? Saying that a ship needs a 19 point captain to make them really work is a little counter to the idea that German BBs are solid performers...

I have never feared a German BB with the exception of the Konig and Scharnhorst.

Up to Bayern and arguably Gneisenau you can get away with fewer captain skills.

I found that Bismarck performs poorly unless fully upgraded, skilled captain and with manual secondaries. You are the fist thing everybody focuses on and usually get your ship shot and burned from under you if you go in with any less. <shrug>

[PVE]
Members
15,717 posts
10,424 battles
2 hours ago, Krilencu said:

I just started playing World of Warships, and I have not a lot more than a handful of battles played, and I need some advice. (I am most sorry if this isn't the right place to post this, but I couldn't find the newcomer's section)

When I first opened the game I looked at the tech tree, and then I saw the Bismarck at tier VIII and I thought to myself "I need to get that", but then I remembered when I first started to play World of Tanks, I looked at the tech tree, and I saw, the T-34 there at tier V, and Thought to myself "I need to get that legendary Machine", but it turned out to be a nightmare,  I didn't know a thing about the game, for example, I thought the higher the number in accuracy the more accurate the guns were, so I picked all the derp guns, it turned out that the higher the number in accuracy, the more inacurate the guns were, and it took me 2 months to get the T-34!

Then comes the question, (I am currently playing german Cruiser Kolberg at tier III) i'm currently looking foward to get the Battleship Nassau, at tier III, but is that the right choice? are the german ships the right choice for a Ultra-noob like me?

Should I play something else? maybe keep playing the german cruisers or try other countries like USSR, USA or Japan?

I was playing against bots the other day, and then BOOOM! my ship exploded and it began to sunk, then I asked in the game chat:

I said : 

I am most sorry if am I a bit stupid by asking those questions, but I didn't do the same when I started playing World of Tanks, and I hated the game for it, and only kept playing it because I wanted the T-34, and after because I wanted other historical Tanks, and due to that horrible experience, I hate World of Tanks.

First, if you are still account level 3 or below, then use the following code.

https://playtogether.worldofwarships.com/invite/OwpAraz

If it is still valid for you, then you will get the premium ship Diana soon and Texas later when you get a T6 ship. Plus you get other goodies and I get some goodies as well.

Otherwise, do try the other lines. I like the US and the IJN is popular as well.

Edit: I looked you up and you are account level 5. The ships are commonly sold and with the other goodies at T6, are worth about $25-30. So not sure if you would find it worthwhile to restart.

In any case, check out @hangglide42 great WoWs series for new players.

https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/135123-wows-enjoyment-list-of-game-improvementmechanics-articles-guides/

Edited by Kizarvexis

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,621 posts
15,905 battles
2 hours ago, Krilencu said:

I said : 

I was going to pm you, but not sure if know what that is.

Add me to your contacts. I'm off tomorrow and willing to help you. 

We can do training room or vs bots I have numerous tier 2 to 10 ships and can answer all your questions.

Members
155 posts
3,106 battles

I just passed 1k battles and decided cruisers since I smash my face on the keyboard waiting for reload in bbs lol... I have both usn/rn tier9 ships including all prior ones... progress up when you feel like the challenge has gone away that's how I did it although I did go up rather quickly since I watched a lot of YouTube... zoup/flamu on down time... the biggest thing to hold in your brain is what did you do wrong for your to get sunk... once you figure out the reasons you die you'll become a lot better player... Another good thing to do is not focus on only the enemy you are shooting at till it's sunk... that'll get you deleted rather quickly always look at minimap and captain skill priority target is a must..... 

Captain skills-what you might thing are good skills to have are normally not the most optimal for the ship you are using... there are endless resources to learn out there just have to take the time to actually want to learn it or you'll just waste doubloons quickly... 

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
8,033 battles

KGM BBs have this nasty tendency to fail when you need a hit the most, due to their troll accuracy guns. Sniping a DD 16 KM, no problem! Shooting at a broadsiding cruiser 5 km away? All miss.

Scatter gun cannons. 

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Play each ship until it becomes easy to live all match with high damage and multiple accomplishments. Play till you have twice the Credits and twice the required EXP to move up next tier.Take Your Time on the grind, There is no prize at the end of the rainbow, just more expenses.

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
2,862 posts
12,773 battles
4 hours ago, Krilencu said:

I said : 

Hi, welcome to Warships!

Dont be afraid to hang around at low tiers, particularly Tier 4, to become comfortable with the game mechanics. Whilst some thing are similar to WoT, when I made the move over classic WoT tactics and approach just gets you killed here. No side-scraping!!

In terms of which lines to do, I have found German battleships, American destroyers and French cruisers pretty forgiving for new players. These will give you some exposure to what you enjoy and are good at. The good is you can rush for the Bismarck! (Though personally I am a heretic who much preferred the Gneisenau, cos torps on a fast battleship is hilarious).

Do not/not do Royal Navy cruisers early on, as the low tier ships are crap until Tier 6 and you need a great grasp of game mechanics to make them work well (like positioning, map awareness, spotting mechics, smoke-firing, target selection, precision aiming and torpedo aiming). Once you work these out, though, mid-high tier UK cruisers are monsters that carry battles. Or perhaps I’m just biased. 

Good luck, and welcome!

[KSC]
Members
1,047 posts
4,577 battles
3 hours ago, Krilencu said:

-snip

Ok, where to begin. Wall of text incoming.

First lets talk about ship acronyms, so when I use them in this post, you understand what I'm saying.  

CL is a Light cruiser.  They are the first cruisers you will play in game, ranging from T1-5/6 depending on the line.  They are generally speaking fairly maneuverable, have good fire rates, while having decent to poor armor.  They are the DPM king and should make up the majority of most fleets.

CA is a heavy cruiser.  The main difference between a heavy cruiser and a light cruiser is the armament.  Heavy cruisers use 203mm+ guns, while light cruisers typically use 152mm guns.

BB stands for a battleship.  Heaviest armor and largest guns in game.  Very poor mobility and concealment, but strong firepower and suitability.  

DD is a Destroyer.  Fast, nimble ships with very poor to virtually no armor and low hitpoints.  They have the best concealment in the game and all carry torpedoes of some usability.  Guns are generally small in caliber with faster fire rates, while doing low damage per shell.

CV stands for Aircraft Carrier, which I will not touch on because I'm no expert on them.

So, the German BB line is very noob friendly and very forgiving in the way they play.  They have the best armor layout in the game, and don't get punished nearly as much as BBs of other nations.  They have a turtleback armor layout which basically means they will not eat citadels at close range from any ship at their tier.  They will still eat tons of normal penetration damage, but it is still going to be far less than citadel damage.  I will touch on what a citadel is later.  German BBs have the worst dispersion tier for tier of any BB.  This basically means their guns are very, very, inaccurate.  They have arguably the best secondary layouts tier for tier in the game, which makes a secondary build a viable option.  The Germans are made to play a fast, aggressive, up-in-your-face play style. 

This brings me to what a citadel is.  Every ship has one, and it is defined as the "vital" portions of a ship.  It is where the boilers, ammo racks and other machinery of that nature is stored.  It is the most protected part of any ship.  The citadel on most ships is located beneath the smoke stacks, at or near the waterline.  Hitting this part of the ship will net full AP or HE shell damage if you can punch through the armor.  There are very few ships in the game that can effectively citadel another ship with HE, so I won't touch on that.  The vast majority of citadel hits will be done with AP shells at a medium to close range.  Keep in mind, an AP shell that does not penetrate the armor of another ship will not do damage.  If a ship is bow in, you're probably better off firing HE than AP.  If a ship is broadside, you're better off firing AP rather than HE. 

Saying all this, my recommendation would be to test at least one ship from a DD, CL, and BB before you commit to grinding one thing.  Diversity is a good thing, and will teach you to play much faster than sticking to one class.  I recommend United States DD's due to their jack of all trades nature.  They are good gun boats and torpedo boats at different tiers.  They are very good for learning and are very forgiving.  I would recommend Japanese, or IJN, CL/CA next.  They have very good concealment and maneuverability, while having some great guns and torps up through the line.  Finally, I would recommend the German, or KM, BB line.  Like I said earlier, they are very noob friendly and do not get punished as bad as other nations for mistakes.  

If you have any questions about game mechanics, or gameplay of any nature, you can dm me on the forums or in game.  Good luck!

[SEALZ]
Members
545 posts
6,401 battles
4 hours ago, Krilencu said:

I said : 

In all honesty, I think you should branch out and try each Ship class to see what you enjoy playing the most. When I first started I went up the US BB line but found my true calling in the Kriegsmarine CA line. You would be surprised how much your play style likes and ship preferences change as you play more and more. The German BB line is a great place for a new player to start in terms of BBs. If you are looking at cruisers I would recommend the US, Soviet, or French lines. If you want to try DDs I would recommend the US line. This game has plenty to offer, and being a new player you should try to expand your horizons instead of botteknecking yourself. You not only learn how to play a ship class, but also how to counter it when you face off against them. 

[WOLF2]
Members
419 posts
7,330 battles

My advice is play coop until you feel you've learned the game as best you can.

This is just my personal experience but I've got just over 800 coop battles and 95% of those were before I ever stepped foot in random. The rest were just testing out new

ships after jumping to randoms, but i don't even do that anymore.  

I would also stay at low tiers for a while and don't be afraid to grind up multiple line types. It doesn't take that long at the lower tiers.

It's good to at least know what playing all the ship types is like.

Then when you really feel comfortable, you can jump to randoms and start going up a line or two depending on what you have found fun so far.