You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Thornir

Only stat that matters is.....

82 comments in this topic

[LODGE]
[LODGE]
Members
2,842 posts
6,371 battles

...Solo win rate.

WTR? Highly dependent on kills and damage. Kills and damage CAN lead to higher win rates,  but aren’t a prerequisite .

overall WR? Potential for heavy influence by Divisioning .

XP? Ditto. Though I think XP is more likely to be higher, if Solo WR is as well.

i am thinking that finding a way to win, helping a team to win by doing things not directly rewarded or measured currently is reflected most accurately by Solo WR. 

Your thoughts?

EDIT:

some folks are are struggling with this. So let me add: if you DONT think solo WR is the single best indicator of ability, which stat do you think is a BETTER indicator?

Edited by Thornir
  • Cool 3

Members
2,613 posts
9,799 battles

Focusing on a single stat is always subject to padding.  Solo WR can be freely farmed using known OP ships such as Kaga and Belfast.  

[NLIST]
Beta Testers
1,422 posts
13,661 battles
5 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Focusing on a single stat is always subject to padding.  Solo WR can be freely farmed using known OP ships such as Kaga and Belfast.  

Or the Giulio Cesare.  Solo win rate in tier 10's might be a useful indicator, I'm sure the top clans look at an applicants performance in tier 10's much more closely than their performance in tier 5's.

[STW]
Members
696 posts
5,282 battles

I get the issue with damage farming battleships and choosing to ignore ships that may be higher value kills, but someone has to do some damage and kill something or the game is a loss.  Divisioning is dependent on the players that make up the division.  If you're taking a div of average-to-good players, yeah that's going to boost those players' winrates.  But you can't take three 45%'ers, stick them together and suddenly expect their winrate to jump to 65%.  In fact, you probably have a better chance of seeing their winrate drop in a division.

• Cool 1

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles
12 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

So what? You have to be decent in the first place to farm win rate in ANY ship. 

People worry FAR too much about "padding". I won't say it's impossible to find a metric that can't be padded, so let's just say it's extremely difficult. Stop. Worrying. About. It. 

[WOLF4]
Members
1,091 posts
4,681 battles
5 minutes ago, Deviathan said:

I get the issue with damage farming battleships and choosing to ignore ships that may be higher value kills, but someone has to do some damage and kill something or the game is a loss.  Divisioning is dependent on the players that make up the division.  If you're taking a div of average-to-good players, yeah that's going to boost those players' winrates.  But you can't take three 45%'ers, stick them together and suddenly expect their winrate to jump to 65%.  In fact, you probably have a better chance of seeing their winrate drop in a division.

So much this. 

This is what people fail to grok: You have to be somewhat decent in the first place in order to "pad" win rate. Three 45% in a division simply concentrates the suck. 

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
13 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

Ya, ship matters, as well as # of games. A 55% solo win rate in a Kaga is ok, but a 55% solo win rate in a Ranger is great. And my 70% solo win rate in the Cleveland isn't very impressive, on account of I have played 20 games in the Cleveland.

[Y0L0]
Members
9,872 posts
13,704 battles

realistically,  wr  depends on ships and tiers.    you have to look at the whole stat to gauge performance, but  if you are 60% solo playing all variety of bote, you are pretty good imho. 

Members
2,613 posts
9,799 battles
22 minutes ago, DingBat said:

So what? You have to be decent in the first place to farm win rate in ANY ship. 

People worry FAR too much about "padding". I won't say it's impossible to find a metric that can't be padded, so let's just say it's extremely difficult. Stop. Worrying. About. It. 

I don’t worry about it, in fact I don’t play many games in ships that easily reward me with highest WR.  I am just saying solo WR is not a good measure of skill to me.  I saw a 65% player with most of his games played in Nikolai.  His WR in tier 10 ships was way, way below average.

• Cool 1

[LODGE]
[LODGE]
Members
2,842 posts
6,371 battles
2 minutes ago, Ruthless4u said:

The only thing that matters is if your having fun playing.

So we can’t talk about stats?

[LODGE]
[LODGE]
Members
2,842 posts
6,371 battles

So is there a single stat that matters more?

[BNKR]
Members
528 posts
362 battles
2 minutes ago, Thornir said:

So we can’t talk about stats?

Don't see why you can't, but for myself stressing over numbers I will never see is not fun, but for others it is. I get enough stress from work, pregnant wife, and kid as is lol.

• Cool 2

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
10,504 posts
8,673 battles

If I want to evaluate a player, I do look at solo win rate first.  I then look at what ships they're playing and where they're achieving said numbers.  Everything else allows me to evaluate HOW they're winning games.

• Cool 5

[NGAGE]
Members
3,606 posts
8,673 battles
5 minutes ago, Ruthless4u said:

The only thing that matters is if your having fun playing.

I have a lot more fun contributing to winning games than I do losing and potatoing.

It's obviously not a common perspective, given how many people seem to not care about this on the forums.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,672 posts
8,265 battles

Depends on what you are looking for, if you are simply looking for randoms performance sure but a lot of amazing solo players cant work with a team. 

The value of stats is always dependent on what you think is the most important aspect. 

• Cool 1

[NGAGE]
Members
3,606 posts
8,673 battles
2 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

If I want to evaluate a player, I do look at solo win rate first.  I then look at what ships they're playing and where they're achieving said numbers.  Everything else allows me to evaluate HOW they're winning games.

I'm curious what mine tell you - https://na.warships.today/player/1015359222/enderland07

[BNKR]
Members
528 posts
362 battles
8 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

I have a lot more fun contributing to winning games than I do losing and potatoing.

It's obviously not a common perspective, given how many people seem to not care about this on the forums.

Sure I like to win, and I certainly don't try and yolo my ships in a blaze of glory moment. I play, try and improve and have fun doing it. I just don't obsess over it like some here do. I think( hope) I'm getting better but I still have fun.

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,944 posts
11,237 battles

My average tier for the last 30 days playing solo is 8.3 and only 61% wr

Feels bad man

[KOI-S]
Members
236 posts
1,509 battles

Hell,  i completely tanked my win rate playing yesterday. From 61% to 46%. Only took about 25 games.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
4,894 posts
15,569 battles

If you know what it takes to win, and do what it takes to win, then your win rate should show for it.  Granted, in many instances the other stats will move appropriately.  But not always.

I've seen players top out on the leader board but play in a manner that lost the game.  I've seen other player at the mid level of the leader board but played in a manner that won the game.

Of course, it takes more than just trying to win.  You gotta KNOW what it takes to win.  I've seen many otherwise talented players (good shots...good maneuvering...good tactical skills) blow an otherwise winnable game by a simple failure of not knowing (or caring) what it takes to win.   

[HINON]
Supertester
21,343 posts
15,057 battles
7 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

For example, if @Lert posted a 100k damage game, but his experience earned in that match is low.

And that's four times.

You seem to devote a lot of your time and thought to me. Classic obsessive behaviour. Are you sure you don't want a body pillow with my picture on it?

• Funny 2

Members
5,202 posts
9,374 battles
18 minutes ago, Lert said:

-snip-

Did you ever find your stalker?

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT