You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sid_Has_NFI

Torpedo plain gripe ??

43 comments in this topic

[-SAS-]
Members
4 posts
2,367 battles

Hello peoples,

i have a complaint about torpedo plains being able to drop torps in the same square you ship is in and you have no hope of missing them in a Cruiser or BB.

they should be aloud only to drop torps at least 1 square away from your ship no closer like right on top of you as they do.

i suppose others will say im wrong but oh well there it is.

Happy sailing guys.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[CUTER]
Members
809 posts
20,959 battles
14 minutes ago, Sid_Has_NFI said:

Hello peoples,

they should be aloud only to drop torps at least 1 square away from your ship no closer like right on top of you as they do.

hello person,

Same should apply for cruisers and battleships as their guns cannot depress so far down...so if they apply to both groups sure.  Until then...you sound like a BB or CA main who doesnt like getting wasted by torps because you want big damage and no recourse from enemy DDs.

Edited by Slick_Komodo

[HINON]
Supertester
7,655 posts
8,050 battles
34 minutes ago, Sid_Has_NFI said:

Hello peoples,

i have a complaint about torpedo plains being able to drop torps in the same square you ship is in and you have no hope of missing them in a Cruiser or BB.

Happy sailing guys.

How would this work for destroyers with short range torps like most of the Russian DDs that only have 4km torps?  Or DDs trying to brawl/knife fight each other for a cap? It wouldn’t.

You need to look at the whole picture and not just one aspect.

Edited by renegadestatuz

[SF-A]
Members
2,993 posts
6,252 battles

Once you get to higher tier cruisers, they are much better equipped to shoot down those planes. I recommend the American line, they're quite good at it, and you really won't worry about carriers at all.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,897 posts
4,227 battles
44 minutes ago, Sid_Has_NFI said:

Hello peoples,

Happy sailing guys.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-SAS-]
Members
4 posts
2,367 battles

well told you it would stir a storm - im only talking about torp plains dropping torps virtualy on top of your ship and there might be 3 divisions at once it's not right and i said my piece so like it or not happy sailing.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
8,121 posts
7,125 battles

The squares on the map can be sized up to 4.2 x 4.2 km, that would make Carrier dropped Torpedoes utterly useless.

Members
21,871 posts
5,725 battles
2 minutes ago, Sid_Has_NFI said:

well told you it would stir a storm - im only talking about torp plains dropping torps virtualy on top of your ship

Not really, you said planes should have to be 1 square away. That's 5km. If a torp squadron has to drop 5km out, it might as well drop inflatable dolphins instead of torps, they'll never hit anything.

[INTEL]
Members
1,188 posts
10,612 battles
44 minutes ago, Sid_Has_NFI said:

Hello peoples,

i have a complaint about torpedo plains planes being able to drop torps in the same square you your ship is in and you have no hope of missing them in a Cruiser or BB.

they should be aloud allowed only to drop torps at least 1 square away from your ship no closer like right on top of you as they do.

Happy sailing guys.

The question is what are you doing to combat torp drops? Are you focus firing torp planes? Doing so, even without the Manual Control Capt skill, gives a 30% increase in DPS. Are you maneuvering to make the CV players job harder? Turning into torp planes makes it harder for the CV driver and keeps his planes in your AA aura longer while he tries to line up the shot. Longer in the aura means you might shoot down some of those planes. Are you trying to stay close to teammates for better AA during a CV match? 

Manual dropping torps isn't easy to begin with and being good enough to drop them close is even harder. 

[HINON]
Supertester
7,655 posts
8,050 battles
4 minutes ago, Sid_Has_NFI said:

well told you it would stir a storm - im only talking about torp plains dropping torps virtualy on top of your ship and there might be 3 divisions at once it's not right and i said my piece so like it or not happy sailing.

So what’s the entire point of you making this post if you won’t discuss it?  And also, Torps from TBs only have a range of a couple kms, way shorter than a grid box like you’re referring to. WG seems to already have a hard enough time as it is balancing CVs and you want them to add more balancing into the mix?

[-SAS-]
Members
4 posts
2,367 battles

thanks for all you comments no i understand more how lots of players may think and i can now watch what i say and keep my opinions to my self by the looks of it.

anyway happy travels.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,897 posts
4,227 battles
12 minutes ago, Sid_Has_NFI said:

Sorry, but there's a big problem with this statement. You can't just say something stupid on a forum and then not be part of a discussion. This is a Forum, not your personal diary. If you do want to say something without people being able to comment or discuss,  then may I suggest investing in a diary for your feelings? You've opened your mouth and stupid has spilled all over the ground, now you have to stay for the clean-up.

And, no. Sorry, but to say, "told you it would stir a storm"[sic] is extremely obvious: say something ridiculous and stupid, like how planes should be forced to drop their torpedoes from 8km away just so you don't have to learn the game.

May I suggest a healthy dose of
image.png.be6daa6a31a482dd3582e0953682a865.png

Members
2,805 posts
4,322 battles
1 hour ago, Sid_Has_NFI said:

Hello peoples,

Happy sailing guys.

You do realize that the torpedoes drop further away than just when they get the triangles. 

That is when they arm. 

Considering their slow speed you have more reaction time between drop to impact than deep water torpedoes. And that's not counting the fact that the aircraft are spotted 8km out.

If you are getting consistently deleted by air dropped torpedoes than you are not countering them as effectively as you should be 

[CVA16]
Members
2,760 posts
7,438 battles

plains

aloud

Planes, allowed. No

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles

Squares are not a common distance, because maps come in different sizes, but always have a 10x10 square mini-map. So how far away you had to drop from would vary from map to map. So, no, absolutely not.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
1 hour ago, Raven114 said:

Read the post he is talking about Airplanes. torpedo bombers. and no not a good idea.:Smile_facepalm:

I was ninjad, but he is clearly talking about air-plains, not airplanes. :cap_haloween:

Op, it won't work against the really good CV captains in most cases, but start turning toward the expected drop point so you have a better chance of avoiding...I suppose you could turn away as well, but I find it more difficult to avoid moving away than I do moving toward. 

Members
696 posts
4,701 battles

*Planes

Torpedo bombers are relatively easy to dodge in a CA,CL or DD. Even in some BB's you can dodge torpedoes fairly easily, Gulio Cesare and Warspite being examples. You need to learn to turn into the torpedo attacks. Even in a BB, you're more or less expected to take a torpedo or two unless your AA is high, so build for survivability and make careful use of your repair party so it's always ready to stop flooding.

[PAT]
Members
1,641 posts
3,471 battles

I assume that the amount of time that it would take to dodge those torps isn't factored into your argument, correct? CV torps travel at 41 kts with torpedo acceleration. They also do the same amount of damage as two pens from a 16" gun. After the torpedo planes are launched it usually takes 3 or 4 minutes to get off a strike. For which the CV gets about 20-40k damage. Then the planes have to return, rearm, and the cycle repeats. For every missed strike, the CV sacrifices a large amount of time and damage. CV planes are spotted from 8km out, of they are forced to drop from 5-7km away, they will never hit anything. Period. Any observant player could dodge the torps with ease. 

Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
6 minutes ago, BullpupWOT said:

I was ninjad, but he is clearly talking about air-plains, not airplanes. :cap_haloween:

Op, it won't work against the really good CV captains in most cases, but start turning toward the expected drop point so you have a better chance of avoiding...I suppose you could turn away as well, but I find it more difficult to avoid moving away than I do moving toward. 

Ya, turning in is better. If you turn away in a bb or ca, then you're in the torpedo path longer, and either can't turn fast enough and eat more torpedoes than had you turned in, because your still in their path, or you do turn fast enough, but now can't turn left or right, and eat the entire cross drop.

Edited by cometguy

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles
Just now, cometguy said:

Ya, turning in is better. If you turn away in a bb or call, then you're in the torpedo path longer, and either can't turn fast enough and eat more torpedoes than had you turned in, because your still in their path, or you do turn fast enough, but now can't turn left or right, and eat the entire cross drop.

Yes...I haven't eaten a cross drop in the few times I've turned away, but I'm stuck driving between to paths for far too long like you say. I also find it more difficult to judge slight variances in the paths as well. 

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
18,783 posts
10,788 battles

Sid, you only have one match in CV's and you really need to spend a lot more time in them to see that they are not I win ships as you seem to think. In fact they are the hardest ship type in the game to do well with. I also suggest dropping down into the tier 1 - 3 range and work on your basic skills, treat the game as something new and get really comfortable with each one before moving up.

[PAT]
Members
1,641 posts
3,471 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Sid, you only have one match in CV's and you really need to spend a lot more time in them to see that they are not I win ships as you seem to think. In fact they are the hardest ship type in the game to do well with. I also suggest dropping down into the tier 1 - 3 range and work on your basic skills, treat the game as something new and get really comfortable with each one before moving up.

Doesn't he have over 2000 battles?