You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
iDuckman

Mutsuki capt skilz ??

14 comments in this topic

[WOLF9]
Members
8,387 posts
3,848 battles

Got three points to spend.  My thinking says Torpedo Armament Expertise to get the reload time down.  Wiki says Superintendent.

Who do you believe?

[REVY]
Members
6,142 posts
5,158 battles

Hard to say, cause those IJN torps are so terrible.  If your getting too many 0 ribbon games, then hit up Superintendent, then at least you can smoke up and possibly start a fire before you die.

Edited by Sventex

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,987 battles

Regardless of whether or not the torpedos suck, the Mutsuki and most IJN DD's are all torpedo, all the time.  Go with TAE.

[RLGN]
Members
9,764 posts
19,290 battles
18 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Hard to say, cause those IJN torps are so terrible.  If your getting too many 0 ribbon games, then hit up Superintendent, then at least you can smoke up and possibly start a fire before you die.

Have no idea what you’re talking about.

Mutsuki’s torpedoes from hell can do up to 14k damage, at freaking T5.

TAE is better, to get those salvos out faster. Develope your map awareness. Attack choke points and straight-sailing targets at range. Learn to stalk your targets using terrain; get close; and knife your targets in the gut at point blank range and out of ambush.

Mutsuki’s torpedoes can just about murder anything.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
6,142 posts
5,158 battles
4 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Have no idea what you’re talking about.

Mutsuki’s torpedoes from hell can do up to 14k damage, at freaking T5.

TAE is better, to get those salvos out faster. Develope your map awareness. Attack choke points and straight-sailing targets at range. Learn to stalk your targets using terrain; get close; and knife your targets in the gut at point blank range and out of ambush.

Mutsuki’s torpedoes can just about murder anything.

Yes the torpedoes themselves cause high damage...if they hit a target.  The stealth on these torps are so terrible, that they cannot be relied on.  Even launching into smoke is a bust because of the long reaction times granted by these lousy torpedoes.  If you setup these torpedo boats only as torpedo boats, your setting up for failure, find another role so you ship can multitask, or your ship is going to haunt the bottom of the exp charts for many battles.

Edited by Sventex

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles

I'm generally of the opinion that if you are relying on consumables to survive you are in the wrong spot.  Mutsuki is not super slow like Fubuki/Kagero so you can run alright without boost and save smoke for that one time you really mess up positioning.  If this is your first 3 point skill go TAE for offensive improvement or Survivability Expert so you can take a bit more damage running or fighting a low HP enemy.  If this is a dedicated Mutsuki captain you can go for Superintendent instead of SE if you prefer but if this will continue up the line SE is superior to Superintendent.  Whatever the case, your real goal is concealment expert and if you don't have that only spend the 6 points required to access the 4th row of skills.

Edit:  I'm currently running SE and Superintendent on my Yugumo captain and have TAE for Mutsuki and will take one of those after getting concealment expert on that captain.  To be honest I'm not even sure the Sup is worth it on Shima since you have to take smoke, but the extra speed boost is nice on Yugumo since the boat is a bit lackluster without the TRB consumable and there are always tons of radars to run from at that tier.

Edited by mrh308

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

I've found SI to be a strong DD skill because like Cruisers, DDs are pretty consumable dependent. 

And just because you are in an IJN DD doesn't mean you should never use your guns. 

Torps may be your first choice for Damage, but the guns still do work although significantly less work than guns for other Nations' DDs. 

[-AVA-]
Members
189 posts
9,528 battles

My personal opinion is go back to the Iso, get TAE and earn enough free XP to convert for bypassing that thing completely. You will likely live longer and have a much happier life as a result.

[-BMV-]
Members
380 posts
7,247 battles
4 minutes ago, syd_ said:

My personal opinion is go back to the Iso, get TAE and earn enough free XP to convert for bypassing that thing completely. You will likely live longer and have a much happier life as a result.

Don't know when you last played Mutsuki but in my opinion its superior to the current Minekaze and much more enjoyable than Fubuki if you have a less than 10 pt captain to work with.  Of course before the split and Minekaze/Isokaze torp nerf the exact opposite was true.  I did fine with the old Mutsuki though.

Edited by mrh308

[RLGN]
Members
9,764 posts
19,290 battles
8 minutes ago, syd_ said:

Having a perfectly happy life with Mutsuki.Scouting, area denial, and shooting only when it is advantageous, and knifing things in the gut from ambush.

Fighting over caps and shooting at anything that moves like it seems many like to do; isn’t playing to Mutsuki’s strengths.

12 minutes ago, mrh308 said:

Don't know when you last played Mutsuki but in my opinion its superior to the current Minekaze and much more enjoyable than Fubuki if you have a less than 10 pt captain to work with.  Of course before the split and Minekaze/Isokaze torp nerf the exact opposite was true.  I did fine with the old Mutsuki though.

Same here.

[-AVA-]
Members
189 posts
9,528 battles

I did reasonably well with it but as far as the IJN line up to that point, both were rather disappointing. IMHO, the Iso is far superior to either.

[WOLF9]
Members
8,387 posts
3,848 battles

I went with TAE.  Not skilled enough with IJN (or any) DDs to make a judgement.  I hear so much from both sides, Mutsuki is crap, Mutsuki is OP.  Gotta depend on the driver.  I will get better.  (As soon as I have time to take from USN CR grind.  Got Pensie tonight.)