Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
ginger63

US Cruiser progression

13 comments in this topic

[SNIPR]
Members
33 posts
4,774 battles

Hello all this is my first time posting in any Wargaming forum.  Forgive me I am long winded.

I am a (newish?) player with World of Warships, less than 500 matches total slowly working my way up the US tech trees minus the carrier tree and I'm finally starting to learn a little about what kind of player I am.  I consider DD play very exciting but I am terrible at it and usually end up getting myself killed by overextending.  BB play is alright but I get super impatient with the fact that I can take a smoke break between getting from one engagement to another.  Cruiser play...I like it.  Fast, flexible, hard hitting.  It suits me.  I had a lot of fun working up through the Phoenix and Omaha and adjusting to the Cleveland was a bit of a challenge but I got used to and fond of it eventually.

I was initially dreading upgrading to the Pensacola due to it's bad rap BUT I AM HAVING A BLAST.  It's guns are so much more effective than I ever imagined, especially the AP and their accuracy/travel time are a dream compared to the Cleveland at least for me.  That finally gets me to my point.

I know they're both gunships on paper but play much differently in practice, as I climb the Cruiser Tree does the game play lean more towards the Cleveland or the Pensacola?  I know they're both made of tissue paper and similar in many respects but the Pensacola feels so much more dangerous and I can actually hit targets with it vs not knowing if the Cleveland's shells are going to land until after the match is over.  I would prefer for the game play to continue to lean towards the Pensacola as I Tier climb and would like to know the thoughts and opinions of those how have climbed higher than me.  I don't want to free to play grind all the way to a Des Moines just to learn that it wasn't for me.

Also, how do you decide to flee, hide, or dive against a BB when you blunder too close to one unexpectedly?  I've had a few tense moments in the Pensacola work out in my favor recently due to it's more powerful guns but I'm not really sure when the time is right and have still gotten bow overmatched/insta deleted more than once.

Thanks,

Ginger

[MIA-P]
Members
684 posts
6,757 battles

The New Orleans is similar to the pensacola, but beyond that the Baltimore and DesMoines are basically bigger, badder (in a very good way) Clevelands.

Simplifying somewhat, there are two broad categories of cruiser playstyle: There's the close in DD support which the Cleveland and DesMoines excel at- these take advantage of concealment mechanics (either smoke, or more commonly in the USN tree: island cover) to get in close to where the guns become extremely effective and they are able to bully DDs and other cruisers without enemy BBs being able to get a shot in.

The other play style, which is much more what the Phoenix, Omaha, Pensacola and New Orleans lean towards, involves staying at range, using speed and maneuverability to dodge shells while burning down enemy BBs and occasionally CAs through attrition and fire. 

Personally, I am a much bigger fan of the first style of gameplay because it is much more high risk/high reward, and attrition warfare tends to bore me. That said, I know plenty of people just like you who love the second type of gameplay, and there's definitely nothing wrong with that. That said, as the USN cruiser line is a bit of a confused mess which oscillates between the two, my advice if you want this kind of dodging/longer range playstyle would be to go for the French or Russian cruisers. Russian DDs also have a similar play style.

Edited by senseNOTmade

[HINON]
Members
11,213 posts
12 minutes ago, ginger63 said:

Hello all this is my first time posting in any Wargaming forum.  Forgive me I am long winded.

I am a (newish?) player with World of Warships, less than 500 matches total slowly working my way up the US tech trees minus the carrier tree and I'm finally starting to learn a little about what kind of player I am.  I consider DD play very exciting but I am terrible at it and usually end up getting myself killed by overextending.  BB play is alright but I get super impatient with the fact that I can take a smoke break between getting from one engagement to another.  Cruiser play...I like it.  Fast, flexible, hard hitting.  It suits me.  I had a lot of fun working up through the Phoenix and Omaha and adjusting to the Cleveland was a bit of a challenge but I got used to and fond of it eventually.

I was initially dreading upgrading to the Pensacola due to it's bad rap BUT I AM HAVING A BLAST.  It's guns are so much more effective than I ever imagined, especially the AP and their accuracy/travel time are a dream compared to the Cleveland at least for me.  That finally gets me to my point.

I know they're both gunships on paper but play much differently in practice, as I climb the Cruiser Tree does the game play lean more towards the Cleveland or the Pensacola?  I know they're both made of tissue paper and similar in many respects but the Pensacola feels so much more dangerous and I can actually hit targets with it vs not knowing if the Cleveland's shells are going to land until after the match is over.  I would prefer for the game play to continue to lean towards the Pensacola as I Tier climb and would like to know the thoughts and opinions of those how have climbed higher than me.  I don't want to free to play grind all the way to a Des Moines just to learn that it wasn't for me.

Also, how do you decide to flee, hide, or dive against a BB when you blunder too close to one unexpectedly?  I've had a few tense moments in the Pensacola work out in my favor recently due to it's more powerful guns but I'm not really sure when the time is right and have still gotten bow overmatched/insta deleted more than once.

Thanks,

Ginger

Well you are in luck ginger63 as the US cruiser tree is going to get a split in the near future. You will want to keep your cleveland as it is going to get moved to T8 on the CL  line. The current tree from Pensacola up are CA's which means they have the larger caliber guns. If you like the pensacola, you will love the des moines when you get there. It's a veritable machine gun and it has wonderful radar to spot those pesky dds.

[PLDN]
Members
2,061 posts
5,207 battles

It slowly leans back to the Cleveland with more DPM over alpha. Unfortunately the Pensacola is fairly unique with it's knockout punch on a highly maneuverable platform.

However, despite loosing the sheer alpha strike, your ability to ambush nearly anything from around an island and kill it remains very high. Baltimore and Des Memes both get upgraded AP shells that give them some of the best close range performance of any cruiser. They also get bows thick enough to bounce the 15 inch shells tier 8 German, British, and French battleships.

The line is also getting split soon and we may see some changes in that regard. Don't sale the Cleveland.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,560 posts
5,062 battles

I would leave the Pensacola for now and wait until the split personally. Grinding it in a BB rich environment is a pretty scary ordeal, since theres not always cover to fire safely from.  As for when to choosing when to fire and if facing a BB, I would stick at least to 13km and wiggle if there was no cover. If you take too much damage you can disengage and get a breather.If I were you, while waiting for the change I would give DDs a shot again. From what I saw you have the Farragut. At tier 7 upwards all USN DDs can torp from stealth, so along with Concealment Expert you could have a better time. Another thing you could do is give IJN cruisers a shot. They are one of the more dependable lines to grind. Nevertheless, good luck whichever route you take.

Edited by warheart1992

[PLDN]
Members
2,061 posts
5,207 battles
Spoiler

4WnuI6c.jpg<Neptune was here

Apazd1T.jpg

The NO's guns are basically a faster version of the Pensacola's. And as an enemy Neptune learned, they hit just as hard.

With a full concealment build your radar range is equal to your base detection range. This is extremely useful for hunting DDs as they can't see you until it's too late. But be careful, you didn't gain much armor.

[SNIPR]
Members
33 posts
4,774 battles

Yes I do have the Farragut.  My games in that ship are very erratic.  When I am gunboating I don't feel effective and it seems like too many of my torpedo ambushes end in disaster.  My game play got a little better after watching a few streamers play some DD matches but I seem to struggle for finding the correct time and place to use my torps without getting myself killed in the process.  

Thank you all for the feeback so far, I definitely really like the Pepsi and am excited to continue to improve in it.  Do any of you ever take Hydro over AA in random battles?  It seems like I'm not seeing very many CV's and they don't seem to pick me as a target very often but I also try not to put myself too close to likely DD hiding spots to be needing Hydro so much either.  It kind of feels like MM intentionally gives me no CV's when I take AA and no DD's when I take Hydro.

[NSC]
Members
262 posts
6,049 battles

There is some good information in this thread. There are different youtubers like Mighty Jingles, iChase and Noster that review different ships as well. Don't forget the wiki.

I free xped through the Baltimore to get to the Des Moines for clan battles. What they said about the dpm is no lie. In one battle last night, tucking up behind some islands as needed, I managed to put 588 rounds in the air and hit with around 30% of them.

[PVE]
Members
9,314 posts
16,538 battles
2 hours ago, senseNOTmade said:

The New Orleans is similar to the pensacola, but beyond that the Baltimore and DesMoines are basically bigger, badder (in a very good way) Clevelands.

I am only to Baltimore but I agree with ^^^. Pensacola and NO seem the same to me gun wise while Baltimore reverts back to a more Cleveland like feel. I actually made a post on that exact topic after getting to Baltimore. Not at Des Moines yet but from what I have seen playing against them and in videos they are Cleveland like as well. I actually prefer the Pensacola/NO feel to the Cleveland feel.

Members
349 posts
6,599 battles

After Pensacola, the current US cruiser tech tree line plays more like the current Cleveland, ending in the Des Moines which is basically a tougher Cleveland with heal, radar, plane melting AA and very firing guns.  I reached Des Moines recently and it quite fun to play with except for the cost of service.  It can send a hurricane of shells down range and is tough enough to take a hit or 2.

If you prefer the play style of Pensacola, the Russian cruiser line might be more for you.  They do not turn as quickly and is not as agile as the Pensacola, nor do they have as good of a AA, but their guns are very accurate with high alpha strike capability.  Their HE shells will make BBQ out of battleships and any cruisers caught on their broadside with your AP shells will most likely sink, like the Pensacola, they are one of the new cruisers that can sink similar tier cruisers with a single salvo.

• Cool 1

[SNIPR]
Members
33 posts
4,774 battles

Thank you again for the feedback all.  I've been doing some more research since I posted this thread and now I want to try EVERY Cruiser line!  I still want to finish the US tree but now the Hindenberg, Moskva and Henri IV all look really tasty too.  I got so pumped I almost bought some Premium time last night but ultimately held off on that.

[TSG4B]
Privateers
2,299 posts
12,527 battles
On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 8:10 AM, ginger63 said:

ultimately held off on that.

from my experiences and preparing for the up coming split, you should just focus on the USN line cruiser for now to maximized free ships after the split; based on the educated guess that many players had.

Then maybe pick out the next nation that you want to grind but take that as your 2nd project and you can still play here and there, so that as soon as you done with the USN, you will have comfortable tier to play next

for example: I had mini project prior about the USN split, I wanted to get Monarch, DeGrobe, Benson, Kiev, Yamato - Musashi and any other in between missions, but had to put a hold on them, grind like crazy from the Cleveland all the way to Baltimore while still play 1 or 2 games in those line, then I learned about the Yamato HSF perm camo where I can save 5000 doubloon so I put a hold onto those mini projects and grind like crazy, got the HSF camo. Then I see that the Moskva is another very competitive position in clan battle so I really wanted her, so I further put a hold on those mini projects and grind the Russian cruiser line, while still play 1 game in the Baltimore so that as soon as I finish up to Moskva, I will be very comfortable playing the Baltimore and obtain the DM very quickly and yet return to other mini projects - while doing this, still earn decent amount of freeXP to get to the MU

[LUCK]
Members
1,700 posts
23,913 battles
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:10 PM, ginger63 said:

Thank you again for the feedback all.  I've been doing some more research since I posted this thread and now I want to try EVERY Cruiser line!  I still want to finish the US tree but now the Hindenberg, Moskva and Henri IV all look really tasty too.  I got so pumped I almost bought some Premium time last night but ultimately held off on that.

Tier X cruisers are all very strong however you didn't mention was Minotaur and Zao.

Trollish armor, extremely fast and powerful torpedoes and pyromaniac fire-starting HE shell characteristics. Zao AP will rip any Tier X cruiser apart and put a hurt on BBs.

Do not underestimate the Zao.

Mino, well that's an acquired taste I guess. Feast or famine, that one.

Sign in to follow this