Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Brandx51

Lyon, 150 game impression from a average guy.

12 comments in this topic

[YOHB]
Members
250 posts
10,843 battles

So after 150 games in the French Tier 7 BB Lyon I thought I'd share my likes and dislikes.

Overall fun factor for me : High

I'm not a BB player at heart, but I love this bote.

While the guns are individually underwhelming sometimes, you get 16 of them.. What's that old saying "Quantity has a Quality all it's own"  While you may have issues farming citadels with them against other BB's other than at close range, for cruisers they are devastating, and also to any DD's that's foolish enough to get close. Against BB's I've had success with superstructure hits, also with minimal angling you can still get 8 guns on target.

Armor: Fair

it's armor is is weakness, you can and will bounce shots if you know how to angle, but you're going to take damage, I've played all the tier 7 BB's and it feels the least tanky of them all.

That being said in brawls I tend to come out the victor most of the time just by sheer firepower.

AA: Decent

It has decent-good AA, and with the lack of CV's it's serviceable, you could spec for AA and bump that decent to a good I'm sure.

Secondaries: Good-Great

So I'm most likely going to be shunned for this, but I am running a partial secondary build in the form of AFT and Manual Fire control (no BFT in favor of concealment)

Why?

1. They do good damage, I've had a high damage of around 65K in a match from secondary hits and fires, though 25-35k combined is the norm when I do get in brawls.

2. "But Brand! it's not a brawler! You're doing it wrong!" Very true, but esp at tier 7, you end up brawling in the latter stages of the match, and that added DPS has helped immeasurably, You can't always keep range and lets face it, sometimes you have to push into a cap, I've been in many matches where I've set my secondaries on a cruiser or DD while brawling with another BB, and kill them.

Concealment: Fair?

13.2 with concealment expert, I tried not running that skill, but ended up just being a HE pinata.. no fun. Your mileage may vary with that.

Final Thoughts

I hope this is the tech tree version that goes live, I think people will enjoy the play-style that it offers. I will say I do not like how WG implemented the early release of it, as it seems too much like gambling to me.

Apologies for poor grammar and typos.

• Cool 6

Members
381 posts
10,072 battles

Judging from your total amount of games, and a good sample of 150 games in this ship, this seems like a trustworthy and objective review of a ship I'm really looking forward to! I'm a BB main at heart because of the big alpha numbers, and BIG GUNS YAY! This ship has THE MOST guns, (ok , ATLANTA! some will say, but it doesn't fire shells with the diameter of a friggin' car tire) So thank you for not shattering my dreams. Completely agree with the gambling reward system, too. It needs to go. +1

[WOLFB]
Members
312 posts
6,403 battles

From all the times I've come against it from sailing my T5s all the way to my T8s this thing terrifies me like no other T7 I've ever come against.

If i had a dollar for every time i told someone to NOT SHOW ANY BROADSIDE when fighting a Lyon and shortly there after see a Devastating Strike I'd probably have like...15 dollars.

In all seriousness this thing is a dangerous as all get out, even to T8 ships, do not underestimate it just because accuracy isn't its strong point.

[WOLF9]
Members
10,237 posts
4,366 battles

I've played about a half dozen games in Lyon on the PTS and from my much more limited experience, I concur.  Fun bote.  Almost makes the French BB line work grinding. 

I did not have as much fun with Richelieu, though -- probably because I didn't know how to play her well.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,246 posts
19,617 battles

The French BBs are HE magnets.  Cruisers love them, especially IFHE CLs.

When sailing Lyon around, I was worried only by 2 things:

Exposing too much side to 16"+ BB gunfire.

Getting into a bad spot where Cruisers can focus you hard.

I had an AA Build and had zero fear of CVs.  I even sailed Lyon alone in a CV match daring for the CV to come after me, and make them pay as a result.  When the bombers came, I only smiled.

Concur with the part about the shell effectiveness against BBs.  Shot placement is more important for Lyon.  Get a bunch of lower superstructure hits and you rack up a lot of damage.

The guns are at their best against Cruisers and Destroyers.  A DD getting close to a properly played Lyon is asking for a 1 salvo death.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[OO7]
Members
5,232 posts
12,037 battles

The Lyon (and most of the French BB's have some really good situational AP. It's just silly on the Lyon with its shotgun effect, you get a good spread of shells giving you a cit or 2 on even poorly aimed volleys. It is long fused, so works great on mid range cruisers and battleships. Closer in and it will overpen. It gives some very unexpected citadels at weird angles and ranges, thats for sure. A fun ship overall!

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
282 posts
10,458 battles

Agreed, very fun ship with surprisingly decent AA... just the armor is garbage, but the 16 guns make a lot of lolshots. 

Highly recommended

[WOLF5]
Members
695 posts
14,209 battles

I will also add it's not fast, but it does turn well enough to be pretty good at evasive maneuvers. I'm not nearly a good player, but with WASD and some care she tends to be tanky. 

Sign in to follow this