Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IronMike11B4O

Podvoisky Extremely underpowered

17 comments in this topic

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
20,989 battles

So I just finished the 100 battles to get on the top rated list according to warships today. I'm at the top of the board #1 on the NA server. Now after establishing that I'm pretty good in it here are my issues with this ship. Its extremely underpowered and underperforming on the server. 

Underpowered you wouldn't think it would be underpowered with 5 Stalinium infused 130mm RU rifles with great angles but it is. The reload severely gimps this gunboat. Its reload is so bad it makes some of the Japanese DD's look like Gearings in terms of ROF. Without BFT you feel like you are playing with one hand tied around your genitals while only wearing one shoe. Podvoisky ROF even with BFT is Garbage at 7.3 seconds. This is so bad that when facing a tier lower Izyaslav an Izy can literally get off 2 shots to every 1 of yours if your not running BFT that's just ludicrous for supposed gunboat.

Underperforming, What does it say about a DD when the top players on the server in it can barely achieve the server average of other DD's of the same tier? It says it doesn't have enough DPM to be relevant IMHO. When you look at the top players in the Pod u will see that there are only 6 player, SIX! That can meet or exceed the AVERAGE damage of the top 4 performing tier 5 DD's. You can pass it off with oh well those are premiums so they are captained by experienced players. Tue but the disparity Gap is so large that it has made Pay2Win tinfoil hatters theories ring true. 

Now to finish this off on a positive note what does the Podvoisky have going for it you might wonder? 

Speed: Max speed with Signal is 44.1 knots that is blazing fast perfect for kiting and repositioning to a threatened flank or making a mad dash for a cap at the end of a match. If you don't know what kiting is there are many YouTubers who have done video's on this.

Guns: The guns ROF leaves something to be desired however when they do hit they hit like you would expect RU 130's to hit, the issue is you cant pump them out fast enough.

Gun angles: With the ability to face all 5 rifles forward and slew them from side to side it gives a play style that is only probably found on the Ganja Mada while pushing its very easy to keep all 5 rifles on the "reds" as it is just as easy Kiting them so I give the angles an A+. 

My recommended Captain Build is all about the guns they are so underperforming you probably need to dedicate each and every point you can muster on the guns.

Pt 1: Priority target. whether you are BBQing a BB or fighting a DD PT lets you know when you may need to disengage. 

Pt 2: Expert Marksman slew side to side faster and never feel like you cant get a gun on target. Pods turret rotation is excellent for this tier coupled with the gun arrangement.

Pt 3 BFT should be your next skill you take to help the miserable ROF without BFT the ship is basically unplayable

Pt 2 Last Stand engines get knocked out in DD's so this is a no brainer

Pt 4 AFT buff the gun range and stay at range and be the annoying RU DD that gets everyone shooting at it allowing your teammates to take caps and or sink ships.

Pt 3 DE buff the fire chance as you will be seeing a lot of Tier 7's and setting fires is the most effective way to whittle them down as the Alpha output is well see above.

Pt 4 IFHE I found in the training room IFHE literally invert that ratio of shatters to pens on targets like the USS New Mexico for instance. There is nothing more annoying than all your shells shattering and RNG not giving you any love by setting fires IFHE will allow you to more easily farm damage off of the tougher armored BB's.

One last thing if you come across a same tier or lower CL who is at or under 8 KM and flat broadside don't forget to load ARMOR PIERCING! My 100th Battle I killed a full health Kirov in 2 and a half salvo's with AP 7 hits being citadels.

• Cool 2

[CHASE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,944 posts
11,237 battles

It's a t5. Grind it in 20 games and move on

• Cool 2

[WAIFU]
Modder
1,172 posts
6,475 battles
1 minute ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

It's a t5. Grind it in 20 games and move on

This is a pretty flawed argument... You may not like low tier ships and battles, but they need to be balanced too...

• Cool 1

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
20,989 battles
5 minutes ago, garfield001 said:

This is a pretty flawed argument... You may not like low tier ships and battles, but they need to be balanced too...

Its not flawed its a stupid argument and probably why there is such terrible high tier game play. People moving up lines to far to fast and not learning anything in the process.

• Cool 2

[SYN]
Members
15,354 posts
12,506 battles

needs a bit more gun rpm

but I'm fine with pod underperforming when I am stuck with craptech tree ships like minekaze, mutsuki, t-22, jianwei and nicholas.

Oh, was that all of them? oh well.

• Cool 3

[HYDRO]
Members
3,560 posts
5,062 battles

I can't really comment on the ship itself since I played the old Gnevny at tier T5. I can comment about T5 DDs in general however. I just think the issue with the Podvoisky having bad server wide results is because of its low skill ceiling, as with many T5 ships. You can run around and shoot around, but in the end that's all you can do,  to keep on raking up damage you have to be mostly visible and kitting, and your HP is finite. Meanwhile, a well played torpedoboat, especially one as close to being p2w overpowered such as the Kamikaze clone trio can keep on functioning exactly the same with full HP and with 1 HP. I would even argue that with lower HP and AR one of those things is even more dangerous. As long as they don't get detected its the same. Add to that most people are inexperienced with dodging torps, or to put it in a better way inexperienced in facing pretty fast and quick reloading torps and you see that pattern developing regarding top damages.All in all, I don't think its just a Podvoisky problem, but rather a huge difference between certain ships sharing the same tier.

Members
0 posts

I'm not that far behind the OP.  Ranked 20th on the server in the Podvoisky.

The problem with the Podvoisky is that most players try playing it like a destroyer, and that is a mistake.  They get wrecked in short order, hence the overall poor serverwide results.

Personally, I think the Pod is fabulous.  One of my favorites, and is outright one of the most successful boats I've played in the entire game.

Admittedly, it's one of those boats which certain captain skills are essential.  Chief among them, IMO, is AFT to give you that extra elbow room when kiting.  I can live without EM since all the guns do a full 360 and I avoid putting myself in situations where I'm forced to maneuver wildly.

Edited by Kuckoo
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
3,938 posts
4,342 battles

Really, though, all the Tier V Tech-Tree destroyers are terrible. It's the bad part of Tier 4 Protected MM: Tier Vs almost always see Tier 7s. If Tier 4-5-6 MM matches were possible, then I doubt the Tier V destroyers would suffer as much as they do.

Of course, that can't happen until the USN Cruiser Line Split in the 2nd Quarter of the Year (because I feel bad for any Myogi vs a Cleveland), and, when it happens, some of the Tier IV ships will need buffs to make them able to competently fight Tier 6s.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,246 posts
19,617 battles

Gnevny at Tier VI is much worse.  WG literally took the same old Tier V Gnevny and just stuffed it into Tier VI with the RU DD Line Split, and called it a day.

• Cool 1
  • Angry 1

[NGAGE]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
4,571 posts
6,872 battles
34 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Gnevny at Tier VI is much worse.  WG literally took the same old Tier V Gnevny and just stuffed it into Tier VI with the RU DD Line Split, and called it a day.

Hmm....I'm sensing a pattern, just look at how WG handled the Ognevoi...I have to say I'm fearing for the Cleveland right now.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
21,246 posts
19,617 battles
5 minutes ago, yashma said:

Hmm....I'm sensing a pattern, just look at how WG handled the Ognevoi...I have to say I'm fearing for the Cleveland right now.

I actually loved the old Tier V Gnevny.  I had a grand time in her and I felt powerful.  When the RU DD Split happened, I was curious to see if WG would buff Gnevny appropriately going into Tier VI.  You've been around, you know how that sh*t is for Tier VI DDs.  I was hoping to see if WG buffed Gnveny's turret traverse.  That was the single biggest complaint people had with Gnevny at Tier V.  It wasn't the short ranged torps, but that d*mn turret traverse.  They didn't even buff that to make her go into Tier VI.  FFS, they didn't even buff the godd*mn torpedoes.

No sh*t, they literally copy & pasted her into Tier VI and she has never recovered from that.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
960 posts
15,082 battles

Took one look at Podvoisky's specs when the line split, saw it was significantly worse than the old Gnevny, threw it in the trash and said, "Thank you very much for the free port slot."

Edited by grumpymunky

[4HIM]
Members
2,463 posts
7,916 battles

I absolutely HATE playing the Pud.  Yet to have a decent game in it.  Guns are kind of 'meh'.  And let's not mention those useless deck ornaments they laughingly refer to as "torpedoes".  But in all my DD lines I'm grinding through T5 now.  Of all of them, I've had good and bad games in all, except for the Pud.  I've never had an enjoyable game in it.  

[70]
Members
1,103 posts
5,752 battles

I played pod and gnevny after the line split.

Pod was meh.

Gnevny was a steaming shitheap that requires Expert Marksman and the turret traverse equipment to vaguely resemble something that can be dealt with.

Since I forgot to demount said equipment from gnevny I'm stuck doing Kiev purely in Scenarios whenever I can get freemium going. Fortunately I racked up like 30K yesterday and today on that new scenario with camo + flags stacks...

Edited by Guardian54

[BNKR]
Members
488 posts
3,147 battles

I thought the Pod was okay, tbh. My win rate wasn't great because you can't contest caps as one would like in it, but it was fairly fun. 

The Gnevny...that's tougher. The turrets are so damn slow and the torps are useless unless going full YOLO, it seems.

Would love any tips on what to do with it (other than "free xp to Kiev" :Smile_teethhappy:).

Sign in to follow this