DarthCitadel

Issues with Lag Spikes - Pulling my hair out!

7 comments in this topic

Members
8 posts
10,913 battles

It started recently.  

I would come into a new session.  First two or three games go smoothly.  Fourth game some noticeable lag starts to occur.

The game after that all hell breaks loose.  Lag spikes from 100 to 3000 sometimes...and it happens every few seconds.  Not registering salvos, struggling to update positions of ships, etc.  Its simply unplayable.

I have good hardware...

i5 4590, GTX 980TI, 16GB Ram....I doubt this is a hardware issue. 

I then leave the game, restrat my router, restart the game...and first few games go smooth as butter...only for the problem to come back after 3 or 4 games.

I'm at my wits end here....

Any suggestions?

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,282 posts

You'd be surprised about hardware... especially comm cards... what I'd do when it happens is verify my comm links are good by pinging a few websites... depending on the ISP, there can be adjustments made by them to the amount of traffic they allow down their "pipes" (ie neighborhoods). If someone is using a lot of bandwidth they will spike on the pipeline, taking much until the system makes adjustments. 

OTOH it could totally be an issue on the "providers". 

If you are using a standard HD (magnetic) I'd check the disk. Sometimes one that's more than half full can start causing problems. But these really are just shots in the dark. 

[FACT]
Members
523 posts
5,905 battles
11 minutes ago, VlamJames40 said:

It started recently.  

I would come into a new session.  First two or three games go smoothly.  Fourth game some noticeable lag starts to occur.

The game after that all hell breaks loose.  Lag spikes from 100 to 3000 sometimes...and it happens every few seconds.  Not registering salvos, struggling to update positions of ships, etc.  Its simply unplayable.

I have good hardware...

i5 4590, GTX 980TI, 16GB Ram....I doubt this is a hardware issue. 

I then leave the game, restrat my router, restart the game...and first few games go smooth as butter...only for the problem to come back after 3 or 4 games.

I'm at my wits end here....

Any suggestions?

Copy that. I have good H/S/ware. Just lost two games due to lag/spike. Have pulled out of play.

Members
1,788 posts
5,665 battles

Lag most of the time is not your hardware, ISP's have fluctuations. Most of the East Coast is having unsettled weather and wires down and bad weather effects the system. I have Verizon and have noticed some slowdowns this morning. 

[NSC]
[NSC]
Members
202 posts
4,007 battles

I'm not much of a tech fellow but, when this type of thing starts happening to me: I do a defrag and clean up my system. It might well be possible that the time it takes to do this is enough for my isp to get their crap together.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
252 posts
4,416 battles
36 minutes ago, VlamJames40 said:

I'm in South Africa though...

southwest US here, same thing been happening to me last 2-3 days; I just close the client, come back later & we're good for 3-4 battles again