You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
kirishima_cv

which is stonger ?

15 comments in this topic

Members
3 posts
44 battles

I recently started WOWS on NA server but I am very interested in ship type "aircraft carrier"

Which is stronger between Japan aircraft carrier and American aircraft carrier? (T 6 to 10)

It is the first time to write in the NA Forum, so if you make a mistake writing here please move to the right place
I am also Japanese and I am translating with Google Translate Sorry if I was translated wrongly variously

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,839 posts
11,536 battles

IJN CVs are pretty dominate at most tiers, though there are a few exceptions. 

Since there are only two CV lines, probably best just grinding up both lines and seeing which ones you enjoy playing.

[SPTR]
Members
3,474 posts
5,734 battles

Japanese carriers overall are stronger, especially under the command of a skilled player. More numerous squadrons, multiple configurations featuring different load-outs focusing on air superiority, surface strike power, and balance between the two allows for more flexible capabilities to counter every ship. Yet, the Japanese aircraft are usually more fragile than the USN counterpart, combined with small squadron sizes Japanese carriers are not forgiving for beginners, especially if you are not accustomed to using manual fighter strafe and manual torpedo drops (press ctrl) instead of auto attacks (left click).

US carriers are more forgiving for beginners. More numerous planes in a squadron can excuse a few mistakes, and the bread and butter of higher tier US carriers, their fearsome dive-bombers, are easy to use -- they are pretty effective even with just auto attacks. Yes, they all only have one combination of different aircraft types, but most of them are balanced and decently suited for every situation. 

Why not try them both? Go down both lines to, say, tier 6 and 7 and see for yourself!

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,615 posts
9,014 battles
2 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

IJN CVs are pretty dominate at most tiers, though there are a few exceptions. 

Since there are only two CV lines, probably best just grinding up both lines and seeing which ones you enjoy playing.

They currently are but the recent US change to a single loadout seems to be a live server test and I would expect the same to happen to the IJN CV's in the future making them more equal. What they really need to do is completely redo them as the amount of micromanaging required to be even somewhat useful to your team is excessive.

Members
3 posts
44 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

They currently are but the recent US change to a single loadout seems to be a live server test and I would expect the same to happen to the IJN CV's in the future making them more equal. What they really need to do is completely redo them as the amount of micromanaging required to be even somewhat useful to your team is excessive.

about killing DD ,destroy planes and spot enemy ships ?

Members
3 posts
44 battles

I know that the number of squadrons in Japanese aircraft carriers is large and American aircraft carriers are few in number
Is not it easier for an American aircraft carrier to damage damage?

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles
2 minutes ago, kirishima_cv said:

I know that the number of squadrons in Japanese aircraft carriers is large and American aircraft carriers are few in number

Yes and no. IJN CVs have more ability to hit DDs and smaller targets, as well as doing reliable damage. USN CVs are very good at killing battleships and CAs, but are quite random in their ability to do so. 

It's also easier to do damage in USN CVs because they are easier to play, you don't have to work as hard to deal as much damage. 

[SPTR]
Members
3,474 posts
5,734 battles
4 minutes ago, kirishima_cv said:

Not exactly. American aircraft are slower, and at mid tiers the dive bombers have mediocre damage and accuracy. This means that the American torpedo bombers are only good against Battleships, since they move slow and have only one squadron, while the dive bombers can be hard to rely on sometimes.

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,364 battles

Also, ijn CVs are better at teaching the higher tier skills, like abusing strafe and exit strafe. I would recommend USN CVs first for a beginner, then the IJN CVs. 

[CUTER]
Members
2 posts
1,059 battles

T4-5, US is stronger after changes because you click on IJN fighters and there is no counterplay, although t4-5 sucks and you should skip it

T6 is about even, Ryujo 1/2/2 Ryujo has slightly more strike power than Independence, but Independence plane will crapon Ryujo plane

T7 Ranger is the worst CV in the game, either skip or be prepared to want to kys, seriously ranger is BAD, worse strike, bad plane, 15km concealment or something stupid so you can't push up to reduce your plane reload times

T8, Shokaku is better, Enteprise is the best t8 CV but in terms of leveling Lex is meh although playable I guess

T9, Essex was extremely viable with 1/2/2, a good essex vs a bad taiho will just stop the Taiho from doing anything because the fighters are so strong, but generally Taiho will win more games because it just pours out so much damage, now that essex is 2/1/2 Taiho is best T9 no contest

T10, Midway > Hakuryu after changes, not even worth a discussion, Midway is so OP its almost worth grinding through USN just so you can play this ship, Midway has better strike, better cross drops, and has the option for AP bombers to do 40-65k AP drops on t10 cruisers/t8 German BBs, the HE bombs are also very consistent at starting 2-3 fires.  The planes (even after nerf) NOT ONLY completely crapon Hakuryu planes, but for whatever reason WG decided to give Midway 144 hanger planes, and hakuryuu a measly 100, so even if you outplay the opposing Midway, you'll just run out of planes before he does, the hangar is so large a lot of the time if your planes are far out after dropping, its more time-efficient to just run them into the strongest AA you can find rather than send them back to your plane to reload, and this is perfectly fine beause your hangar has 144 planes

Edited by CV_Sophia

[M_L]
[M_L]
Beta Testers
321 posts
8,849 battles
On 2/26/2018 at 5:11 AM, CV_Sophia said:

T8, Shokaku is better, Enteprise is the best t8 CV but in terms of leveling Lex is meh although playable I guess

T10, Midway > Hakuryu after changes, not even worth a discussion, Midway is so OP its almost worth grinding through USN just so you can play this ship, Midway has better strike, better cross drops, and has the option for AP bombers to do 40-65k AP drops on t10 cruisers/t8 German BBs, the HE bombs are also very consistent at starting 2-3 fires.  The planes (even after nerf) NOT ONLY completely crapon Hakuryu planes, but for whatever reason WG decided to give Midway 144 hanger planes, and hakuryuu a measly 100, so even if you outplay the opposing Midway, you'll just run out of planes before he does, the hangar is so large a lot of the time if your planes are far out after dropping, its more time-efficient to just run them into the strongest AA you can find rather than send them back to your plane to reload, and this is perfectly fine beause your hangar has 144 planes

First Graf Zeppelin when it comes out will likely overtake Enterperise as Best tier 8 CV. Secondly Midway has 136 aircraft not 144. Also a well played AS Hakuryu can wreck a even skilled Midway thanks to having the fighter supremacy both in number of aircraft and number of squads. Plus 8 torpedo bombers and 10 dive bombers aren't exactly a wimpy strike package. So I would say the balance at tier 10 is close to even, at least on paper player skill is really the deciding factor in balance IMO for Midway Hakuryu now. 

As for my recommendation of line @kirishima_cv I would say that the USN line is more dependent on good positioning, putting the bombers where they need to be when they need to be there. While the IJN line is more flexible when it comes to reacting to the unexpected. For air combat they are two different styles with the USN focusing on single squad against single squad engagements while the IJN prefer  to fight two or more against one. However I feel both are powerful and enjoyable to play. 

I translated it for you below, hopefully it makes sense.  私はスポイラーの日本語テキストにそれを翻訳した

Spoiler

ファーストグラファーツェッペリンが出てきたら、最高のティア8CVとしてエンターテイメントを追い越すだろう。セカンドミッドウェイには144機ではなく136機があります。また、巧みなミッドウェイASは、機体数と部隊数の両方で戦闘機覇権を獲得しているため、熟練したミッドウェイを破壊することができます。プラス8の爆雷爆撃機と10の潜水爆撃機は、まったく愚かなストライキパッケージではありません。だから、ティア10のバランスは偶数に近いと言えます。少なくとも、ペーパー・プレイヤーのスキルは、今、ミッドウェイ・ハクユーに対する私の意見のバランスの決定要因になっています。

ライン@kirishima_cvの私の推薦では、USNラインは、彼らがそこにいる必要があるときに必要な場所に爆撃機を置く、良いポジショニングにもっと依存していると言います。 IJNラインは予期せぬことに反応するときにはより柔軟ですが、空軍の戦闘ではUSNが1つのチームとの対戦に集中する一方、IJNは1つの対戦に2つ以上の戦いをすることを好みます。しかし、私は両方が強力で楽しいと感じています。

私はGoogle翻訳が悪い仕事をした場合、ごめんなさい。

• Cool 1

Members
61 posts
366 battles

I did notice you made no mention of the ridiculously overpowered Saipan at tier 7, the one that absolutely creams everything in its path. 

[CUTER]
Members
2 posts
1,059 battles
7 hours ago, FirebirdXIV said:

I did notice you made no mention of the ridiculously overpowered Saipan at tier 7, the one that absolutely creams everything in its path. 

Saipan is very good, but Kaga and Hiryu are still very competitive.  On equal footing a Saipan would beat a kaga/hiryu but kaga and hiryu will still do more damage, its kind of an unfair comparison considering I'm #1 and #2 on kaga/hiryu, but I don't really ever "lose" to saipans, I might lose my fighters sure but if they're down 2-3 ships and only down 1 ship from Saipan generally we end up winning anyway

Vs saipan its very important to learn how to strafe out of strafe-outs(when your fighter is locked from an enemy fightr strafing out, if you click and strafe youll exit the "lock-out" early), because Saipan players tend to strafe willy nilly and you can just wipe their squad for free

On 3/1/2018 at 8:35 AM, Grathew said:

First Graf Zeppelin when it comes out will likely overtake Enterperise as Best tier 8 CV. Secondly Midway has 136 aircraft not 144. Also a well played AS Hakuryu can wreck a even skilled Midway thanks to having the fighter supremacy both in number of aircraft and number of squads. Plus 8 torpedo bombers and 10 dive bombers aren't exactly a wimpy strike package. So I would say the balance at tier 10 is close to even, at least on paper player skill is really the deciding factor in balance IMO for Midway Hakuryu now. 

As for my recommendation of line @kirishima_cv I would say that the USN line is more dependent on good positioning, putting the bombers where they need to be when they need to be there. While the IJN line is more flexible when it comes to reacting to the unexpected. For air combat they are two different styles with the USN focusing on single squad against single squad engagements while the IJN prefer  to fight two or more against one. However I feel both are powerful and enjoyable to play. 

I translated it for you below, hopefully it makes sense.  私はスポイラーの日本語テキストにそれを翻訳した

Reveal hidden contents

ファーストグラファーツェッペリンが出てきたら、最高のティア8CVとしてエンターテイメントを追い越すだろう。セカンドミッドウェイには144機ではなく136機があります。また、巧みなミッドウェイASは、機体数と部隊数の両方で戦闘機覇権を獲得しているため、熟練したミッドウェイを破壊することができます。プラス8の爆雷爆撃機と10の潜水爆撃機は、まったく愚かなストライキパッケージではありません。だから、ティア10のバランスは偶数に近いと言えます。少なくとも、ペーパー・プレイヤーのスキルは、今、ミッドウェイ・ハクユーに対する私の意見のバランスの決定要因になっています。

ライン@kirishima_cvの私の推薦では、USNラインは、彼らがそこにいる必要があるときに必要な場所に爆撃機を置く、良いポジショニングにもっと依存していると言います。 IJNラインは予期せぬことに反応するときにはより柔軟ですが、空軍の戦闘ではUSNが1つのチームとの対戦に集中する一方、IJNは1つの対戦に2つ以上の戦いをすることを好みます。しかし、私は両方が強力で楽しいと感じています。

私はGoogle翻訳が悪い仕事をした場合、ごめんなさい。

No one plays 4/2/2 Hakuryu outside of comp, but if they decided to bring it into randoms I guess it would be equal?

2 torp 2 bombs is a pretty weak strike package for t10, and 2 midway fighters can deal with 4 Hak fighters decently well, for the longest time midway had to 1v2 fightrs anyway, 2v4 is doable

I haven't seen alot of GZ but its hard to imagine it beating enterprises insane fighter loadout

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,359 battles

I am going down both lines at the same time and so far I like that they play differently.  I don't think one has a straight up better line than the other, although American carriers are easier to play.  When I first looked at the modules in game I was like 'tf is this?  Americans get one torp squadron until X?' and then I realized that there are more ways to land hits than to cross people up, and that dive bombers are actually good and that I had the wrong impression from playing low tiers.

Basically what I'm saying is that you should struggle through to Independence, since it is mega easy to play, and try that out until you know what is going on.  That's what I did.  Also buy a Kaga if you ever get the chance because it is excellent.  It is so much better than the Hiryu it's not even funny.