Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Wheelbase911

These Ships. How Do?

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

Beta Testers
5 posts
3,211 battles

I’m starting up this topic because I have a handful of ships that I do terribly in / just plain curious as to how other people play it. So feel free to discuss whatever tips / tricks you have with these ships if you want. :)

 

1st ship: Yugumo

For my first tier IX, I would say that I actively avoid playing this ship. To be fair to it, it’s still pretty much stock so there’s room for improvement. But so far, to me it just feels like a Kagero that always sees tier IX games. It’s slow, torps can be seen from space, practically defenseless when spotted. 

I have it specced for torpedo attacks and stealth, with TRB instead of smoke and I recently unlocked the type F3 torps. Eventually I plan on getting TA with the 12km torps, which seems like a good compromise. 

I just can’t seem to hit anything with the torps. Once I shadowed an engaged Zao with only torps selected the entire time. He was broadside straightlining, I launched from 6km away and they were dodged at the last second like they were nothing. Kinda disappointing for 76knt torpedoes.  

2nd ship: Emerald

I don’t hate this ship as much as I just don’t click with it. I try to play it a bit like my iwaki (an oversized DD) and sometimes I get a decent game; 50-60k dmg, nothing special. But most of the time I just get frustrated at the AP shattering on BB superstructures. Maybe it’s my target selection, but I don’t seem to have any luck when firing at cruisers either, they practically have to be broadside for the AP to do anything. 

On a side note, I noticed the Emmy has a 19mm belt on her bow. Is it possible to even remotely bow tank with her? The one time I tried, I just blew up so I never tried again. But is it possible, even in theory?

3rd ship: T-22

Now I’ve actually finished grindig this ship, but I’m curious as to how people play her. I heard people say they didn’t like her; I kinda did. I mostly played the ship as a close range brawler when top tier, and a torpedo boat when at the bottom.

Her guns have pretty good dps if the managed to deal any damage, and rotate a full 360 degrees. Because of this I would normally charge into smoke to flush any dds out (bonus points if they were pan-asian). Firing a slavo of torps and then guns, with a second salvo in reserve. The turrets turn slow, so I had specced as much as I could to improve that. 

I also have to say that getting that slight detection buff was nice, as having only .5km buffer for a torp launch when bottom tier was rough, and made her all that bit more enjoyable to play. 

I usually gired HE into BB superstructures and cruisers for fire, and a mix of AP and HE on DDs depending on the situation.

 

Feel free to throw any insights/ constructive criticism this way! I’m curious as to how others play these ships. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,984
[O_O]
Members
5,324 posts
12,239 battles

I played Yugumo as a stealth torpedo boat and also opted for TRB rather than smoke.  It certainly took some adjustment to find her play style, but once I did I became pretty effective with her.  I may even keep her.

First, understand and know that without smoke, getting detected is probably a death sentence.  Yugumo is well-known as a deadly, ghostly torpedo boat, so the reds will likely focus on you as a priority target if you get spotted.  Her stealth makes her a great sneaky capper...but everything else about her makes her a dead capper if you are seen.  If you want to cap, go gently into the cap and have an avenue for a hasty retreat.  If enemy planes are near that cap, I honestly wouldn't even try it without smoke.  If your cap attempt is contested by just about any other ship, I would drop torps and abort.  Better to live longer into the game than get sunk pushing a cap attempt in which you have a clear disadvantage.

When torping, you should very rarely launch a tight spread on top of another tight spread.  Either launch tight spreads on different trajectories, or use wide spreads and overlap them by half or so.  Don't focus so much on devastating strikes unless they are gimme's.  Work on getting one hit per spread, or even per attack.  The damage will add up, especially if a second torp hit several seconds after the first causes an unstoppable flooding.

Yugumo's guns aren't great.  But, they aren't useless, either.  If you are detected and it won't hurt to use them, DO SO!  I knock out a fair number of engines on opposing DD's before I launch torps, which makes them easier targets.  Also, even in high tiers, I can light a fire on a cruiser or battleship and bait them into using their repair even as my torps are in the water and closing in on them.  Don't over-use your guns, though.  Once the advantage of using them as above has expired, best to quit shooting and go stealthy again.  Firing while kiting away will not yield enough damage to justify the risk of taking hits.  Flooding damage is a bear...try to take advantage of it.  TRB is great for that, because the several second delay between torp spreads means any hit and flooding you caused from the first spreads will likely have caused your target to burn his repair.  Now your hits from the second spread will be even more deadly.

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
142
[AAA]
Members
716 posts
8,803 battles
46 minutes ago, Wheelbase911 said:

I’m starting up this topic because I have a handful of ships that I do terribly in / just plain curious as to how other people play it. So feel free to discuss whatever tips / tricks you have with these ships if you want. :)

 

1st ship: Yugumo

For my first tier IX, I would say that I actively avoid playing this ship. To be fair to it, it’s still pretty much stock so there’s room for improvement. But so far, to me it just feels like a Kagero that always sees tier IX games. It’s slow, torps can be seen from space, practically defenseless when spotted. 

I have it specced for torpedo attacks and stealth, with TRB instead of smoke and I recently unlocked the type F3 torps. Eventually I plan on getting TA with the 12km torps, which seems like a good compromise. 

I just can’t seem to hit anything with the torps. Once I shadowed an engaged Zao with only torps selected the entire time. He was broadside straightlining, I launched from 6km away and they were dodged at the last second like they were nothing. Kinda disappointing for 76knt torpedoes.  

2nd ship: Emerald

I don’t hate this ship as much as I just don’t click with it. I try to play it a bit like my iwaki (an oversized DD) and sometimes I get a decent game; 50-60k dmg, nothing special. But most of the time I just get frustrated at the AP shattering on BB superstructures. Maybe it’s my target selection, but I don’t seem to have any luck when firing at cruisers either, they practically have to be broadside for the AP to do anything. 

On a side note, I noticed the Emmy has a 19mm belt on her bow. Is it possible to even remotely bow tank with her? The one time I tried, I just blew up so I never tried again. But is it possible, even in theory?

3rd ship: T-22

Now I’ve actually finished grindig this ship, but I’m curious as to how people play her. I heard people say they didn’t like her; I kinda did. I mostly played the ship as a close range brawler when top tier, and a torpedo boat when at the bottom.

Her guns have pretty good dps if the managed to deal any damage, and rotate a full 360 degrees. Because of this I would normally charge into smoke to flush any dds out (bonus points if they were pan-asian). Firing a slavo of torps and then guns, with a second salvo in reserve. The turrets turn slow, so I had specced as much as I could to improve that. 

I also have to say that getting that slight detection buff was nice, as having only .5km buffer for a torp launch when bottom tier was rough, and made her all that bit more enjoyable to play. 

I usually gired HE into BB superstructures and cruisers for fire, and a mix of AP and HE on DDs depending on the situation.

 

Feel free to throw any insights/ constructive criticism this way! I’m curious as to how others play these ships. 

On the Emerald its a fine ship that is completely unforgiving if you make a mistake. You can never show broadside except you have to show broadside to get your guns, all, on target. It's a destroyer with a citadel. Avoid BBs like the plague. You have torps if forced to deal with them. I suggest a bow on run right at them weaving as best you can.

I supported DD capping chasing off red dds, and hammering red cls. Just be careful to show broadside, fire and close that side down. Even if you like the ship, and I did, you will have games where you are ready to rip a cl and boom you explode

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
5 posts
3,211 battles
10 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I played Yugumo as a stealth torpedo boat and also opted for TRB rather than smoke.  It certainly took some adjustment to find her play style, but once I did I became pretty effective with her.  I may even keep her.

First, understand and know that without smoke, getting detected is probably a death sentence.  Yugumo is well-known as a deadly, ghostly torpedo boat, so the reds will likely focus on you as a priority target if you get spotted.  Her stealth makes her a great sneaky capper...but everything else about her makes her a dead capper if you are seen.  If you want to cap, go gently into the cap and have an avenue for a hasty retreat.  If enemy planes are near that cap, I honestly wouldn't even try it without smoke.  If you cap attempt is contested by just about any other ship, I would drop torps and abort.  Better to live longer into the game than get sunk pushing a cap attempt in which you have a clear disadvantage.

When torping, you should very rarely launch a tight spread on top of another tight spread.  Either launch tight spreads on different trajectories, or use wide spreads and overlap them by half or so.  Don't focus so much on devastating strikes unless they are gimme's.  Work on getting one hit per spread, or even per attack.  The damage will add up, especially if a second torp hit a several seconds after the first causes an unstoppable flooding.

Yugumo's guns aren't great.  But, they aren't useless, either.  If you are detected and it won't hurt to use them, DO SO!  I knock out a fair number of engines on opposing DD's before I launch torps, which makes them easier targets.  Also, even in high tiers, I can light a fire on a cruiser or battleship and bait them into using their repair even as my torps are in the water and closing in on them.  Flooding damage is a bear...try to take advantage of it.  TRB is great for that, because the several second delay between torp spreads means any hit and flooding you caused from the first spreads will likely have caused your target to burn his repair.  Now your hits from the second spread will be even more deadly.

As I said above, I feel like the Yugumo is a higher tier Kagero. So I practically play her the same. 

 

I know the Yugumo gets focused on when spotted. Lots of games ended with me being blasted as soon as I was lit. Though yeah, if you keep aware of your surroundings she’s pretty hard to spot. I usually contest caps a bit more aggressively, trying to spot the enemy ship in the cap with and hoping the team focuses on them, as I would probably spot them before they spot me. Sometimes late game I also try to use myself as bait; if a friendly BB/CA is being focused I fire my guns and try to draw some fire away. When there’s planes above the cap however? I just hightail it out of there, bot worth it. 

In that respect I think I do decently with the Yugumo. It’s the torps that infuriate me. Like that Zao I described earlier. He was sailing in a straight line, broadside on to me while being engaged by friendlies. I fire off my torps from 6kms, tight spread, a little but off to the right, a little bit off to the left, like I usually do with straightliners. All of them miss, he’s spotted the torpedoes from a mile away. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
166
[PVE]
Members
800 posts
6,227 battles

I am still grinding the T-22, but my good games have come through patience. I make spotting my primary job, I cap when I can, and use my torps as often as practical. I only use my guns when I have to, really really should to take down a DD, or to distract a torpedo victim.  I don't really knife in it, but I do engage DDs regularly by kiting them and trying to draw them out (unless they are IJN, then I blast them at my medium range).

Edited by MasterDiggs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,984
[O_O]
Members
5,324 posts
12,239 battles

T-22 and Emerald are forgettable.  I only played them long enough to advance past them.  Fortunately, both grinds have rewards waiting.  Gaede is a solid destroyer, and Leander is a comforting entry into what the rest of the British cruisers are.  I kept both of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
5 posts
3,211 battles
8 minutes ago, wstugamd said:

On the Emerald its a fine ship that is completely unforgiving if you make a mistake. You can never show broadside except you have to show broadside to get your guns, all, on target. It's a destroyer with a citadel. Avoid BBs like the plague. You have torps if forced to deal with them. I suggest a bow on run right at them weaving as best you can.

I supported DD capping chasing off red dds, and hammering red cls. Just be careful to show broadside, fire and close that side down. Even if you like the ship, and I did, you will have games where you are ready to rip a cl and boom you explode

Learned about how unforgiving she is the hard way. 

The thing is, I find it really hard to support my team. Apart from hydro and smoke (which I mostly use when pushing with DDs/CLs), I usually do very little damage. For example, helping said CLs whittle down a lone BB/focusing fire. I do practically no damage, while essentially just being another ship to be shot at. I get a lot of AP superstructure shatters. 

Should I just not bother? 

As for not showing your broadside, I learned that a long time ago. I usually sail at a slight angle, hoping to get more than 2 guns to bear. And wiggle a little to avoid fire. I’ve found that well placed shots cripple the ship even from the front, but I find that to be the case with a lot of CLs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
142
[AAA]
Members
716 posts
8,803 battles
44 minutes ago, Wheelbase911 said:

Learned about how unforgiving she is the hard way. 

The thing is, I find it really hard to support my team. Apart from hydro and smoke (which I mostly use when pushing with DDs/CLs), I usually do very little damage. For example, helping said CLs whittle down a lone BB/focusing fire. I do practically no damage, while essentially just being another ship to be shot at. I get a lot of AP superstructure shatters. 

Should I just not bother? 

As for not showing your broadside, I learned that a long time ago. I usually sail at a slight angle, hoping to get more than 2 guns to bear. And wiggle a little to avoid fire. I’ve found that well placed shots cripple the ship even from the front, but I find that to be the case with a lot of CLs. 

The ships up the tree are worth it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
76
[SSBN]
Members
331 posts
6,591 battles

The emerald- I free xpd past this crapbox. The Leander is great and the Fiji is a machine gun. The lesson to learn here for the rest of the rn cruiser line is that you are very fragile.

the T-22 this boat teaches you a very valuable lesson for the remainder of the Kms dd line. Your torps are your primary source of damage and your guns will do in a pinch. You can’t out daka daka most other dds, so you always need to find the advantage.  I didn’t hate the t-22, but this line gets progressively better as you go up.   AP is a powerful tool for German dds

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,454
[NDA]
Supertester
5,236 posts
15,711 battles

@Wheelbase911 what you need is someone to review your game play and point out whats going wrong. 

Thankfully there is such a person lurking around these forms. All you have to do to get help is enable replays and than play a game in the aforementioned ships, especially games in which you did poorly. Next you need to recite the following sentence while holding a gold coin [one of those gold foil covered chocolate ones will work]. "I Summon Smaug of the Seven Seas, Inventor of the Time Extension, Keeper of the Treasured Vault, Earl of Salt, Chancellor of Your Replays, Rumored Evil Genius, Master of Narai, Sage of the Commentary and Collector of Damage. @Lord_Zath Come forth and assist this player in need." 

You're results may vary but generally I find this method to be helpful. 

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,854
[-K-]
-Members-, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,469 posts
17,698 battles

o/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
5 posts
3,211 battles
On 2/26/2018 at 5:21 AM, RedSeaBear said:

@Wheelbase911 what you need is someone to review your game play and point out whats going wrong. 

Thankfully there is such a person lurking around these forms. All you have to do to get help is enable replays and than play a game in the aforementioned ships, especially games in which you did poorly. Next you need to recite the following sentence while holding a gold coin [one of those gold foil covered chocolate ones will work]. "I Summon Smaug of the Seven Seas, Inventor of the Time Extension, Keeper of the Treasured Vault, Earl of Salt, Chancellor of Your Replays, Rumored Evil Genius, Master of Narai, Sage of the Commentary and Collector of Damage. @Lord_Zath Come forth and assist this player in need." 

I didn't get to play WoWS yesterday so, I'll perform the summoning today! (Sorry)

*While holding a coin shaped object*

"I Summon Smaug of the Seven Seas, Inventor of the Time Extension, Keeper of the Treasured Vault, Earl of Salt, Chancellor of Your Replays, Rumored Evil Genius, Master of Narai, Sage of the Commentary and Collector of Damage. @Lord_Zath Come forth and assist this player in need." 

 

Attached are 2 (each) of my most recent replays in both the Yugumo and Emerald. Since they're recent, I played with the tips everyone gave in mind. Though I have to admit that the second Yugumo game is pretty decent, I think I got lucky a few times. Anyways, thanks in for all of the help! 

1-20180227_111413_PJSD209-Yugumo_45_Zigzag.wowsreplay

2-20180227_113027_PJSD209-Yugumo_37_Ridge.wowsreplay

1-20180227_120844_PBSC105-Emerald_42_Neighbors.wowsreplay

2-20180227_122600_PBSC105-Emerald_13_OC_new_dawn.wowsreplay

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,854
[-K-]
-Members-, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
5,469 posts
17,698 battles

LOL thanks for summoning me!  Unfortunately,  the client updates tomorrow, so the replays you sent in will no longer work on the client.  I do apologize for this, but it is what it is.  HOWEVER, this means you have a HIGH chance of getting your replay featured if you send in games from Wednesday through Friday, since I will likely be doing another live stream of Zath's Replay Theater on Saturday or Sunday!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
5 posts
3,211 battles

Dang, didn't know that the update would be tomorrow. Oh well! I'll be sure to try and send a replay after the update drops! I'll also see if I can catch the live stream! Which site is it on? 

Anyway, thanks for the help! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×