You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AlcatrazNC

Fix your double damage AP shells

30 comments in this topic

[WOLFB]
Members
1,737 posts
8,305 battles

This is really becoming annoying.

I was kitting in my Chappy while a Missouri was shooting at me.  First salvo he scored a lucky cit, ok I understand Chappy isn't very armored why not. Second salvo he missed. Third salvo the ONLY shell coming my way hit the gun, incapacitate it then dealt 18k damage and killed me. Basically that single shell did the same amount of damage as a citadel and a full pen.

Another game later, I decided to take out my Spee. I shot at an ennemi Cleveland and....score a citadel with 11.5k damage. I was kinda surprise with the damage so I looked at her max AP shell  damage : "8400". Yeah that only shell did a citadel damage + full pen.

Took out my Amagi, same story. I land a single citadel and I deal more damage than what I should have done. 

So far this glitch seems to only affect BB AP.  I landed several citadel with my cruiser or DD and I never dealt more than...well a citadel damage.  

• Cool 3
  • Bad 3

[HBK]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,331 posts
10,524 battles

I've seen this a lot with an overpen adding up to overpen + shell pen and all sorts of other combinations.  Had a few 17k damage citadels, too.

That's bad enough for anyone on the receiving end but it's also extremely ridiculous to get half pen damage or zero damage shell pens.  In a given match somewhere between 10% to as many as 40% of shell pens have been for zero damage for me.

It has reached a point where I'd rather just have overpens and citadels because normal 33% shell pen damage is a goddamn urban legend.

• Cool 3

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles

Get plenty of double dips when AP hits your DD, it's pretty crap when it happens.

[USCC2]
Members
3,590 posts

BB = BIG 'Bada Boom!' Could be a fault who knows, but if it isn't any other ship type benefitting from it then we can all laugh at the awesomeness that is BBs.

Take  look at a lot of video reviews nowadays: 

BB does massive damage and it's 'all good fun' and comments like 'sometimes I just feel soo bad doing so much damage mwahaha!', or I'm only doing soo much damage because everyone else is playing bad'.

Any other type ship does comparable damage to a BB (even though every ship in game has the ability to do so) and it's 'Whoa, this is OP; think we need to nerf!' :Smile-_tongue:

Just to double check, I looked at Notser's vids for 3 Prem BBs at Tier 6 = Warspite 128,000 damage/Arizona 123,000 damage/Dunkirk 111,000 damage and a comment of really bad AP rounds.

He did 71,000 damage with the T-61 and everyone screamed OP - it's not been seen since lol. Yet if you look at the results from Notser's play stats, he has had better 'best results' in nearly every other tier VI DD (but one), than the score he got in the T-61. Why is it that some seem soo scared of ship type damage being balanced and the real challenge being how you have to fight in the different ships to get that damage? Oh well.

Truth hurts doesn't it, I feast on the negative votes as proof of the facts and an inability to put anything that contradicts those facts forward yourself. :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 3

[ADR]
Members
4,314 posts
13,374 battles

Haven't seen this.. all I usually see is Multiple shell hits for a Full pen do 0 Damage.   Watching a 5 Full Pen hit net 1300 damage is a wth moment. and when it happens multiple times in one match....

[RLGN]
Members
8,287 posts
17,349 battles

7 minutes ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

Haven't seen this.. all I usually see is Multiple shell hits for a Full pen do 0 Damage.   Watching a 5 Full Pen hit net 1300 damage is a wth moment. and when it happens multiple times in one match....

Meanwhile in co-op; the only possible result for bot vs player damage is a full pen or citadel; while when you shoot at them; even broadside; it’s as above.

• Cool 1

[HBK]
1,331 posts
10,524 battles
9 minutes ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

Happens quite frequently especially against destroyers.  Had two shells from my Kurfurst register for almost 11k damage despite being overpens for a decent strike against a Shim.  He was lengthwise, of course

[HCH]
[HCH]
Beta Testers
878 posts
7,268 battles

My guess is that the shell over penned a module, which has a separate health from the ship's main health, passed straight through and into the ship proper, then dealing the second set of damage. Considering that BBs are shooting shells about as heavy as a VW Beatle at supersonic speeds at ships that have next to no armor, why are you surprised that your ship gets seriously messed up when such shells land home?

1 hour ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I was kitting in my Chappy while a Missouri was shooting at me.  First salvo he scored a lucky cit, ok I understand Chappy isn't very armored why not. Second salvo he missed. Third salvo the ONLY shell coming my way hit the gun, incapacitate it then dealt 18k damage and killed me. Basically that single shell did the same amount of damage as a citadel and a full pen.

You sure you did not see a detonation medal? Would like to see a video displaying this curious case.

1 hour ago, Business6 said:

It has reached a point where I'd rather just have overpens and citadels because normal 33% shell pen damage is a goddamn urban legend.

Just shoot at a German or British BB, then you'll see what half a dozen regular pens will do.

[CUTE]
Members
5,202 posts
3,461 battles
1 hour ago, sulghunter331 said:

Considering that BBs are shooting shells about as heavy as a VW Beatle at supersonic speeds at ships that have next to no armor, why are you surprised that your ship gets seriously messed up when such shells land home?

Stop with this tired [edited] trope. Shells shouldn't be rattling around for more than they should in this game. Real life doesn't quite enter into it.

I could give you any number of fantastic examples of nonsense mechanics but I chalk it up to "because game" and realise that just because you don't sail BB the game should still be fun for the other 60% of the players too.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 1

[HBK]
1,331 posts
10,524 battles
5 minutes ago, sulghunter331 said:

My guess is that the shell over penned a module, which has a separate health from the ship's main health, passed straight through and into the ship proper, then dealing the second set of damage. Considering that BBs are shooting shells about as heavy as a VW Beatle at supersonic speeds at ships that have next to no armor, why are you surprised that your ship gets seriously messed up when such shells land home?

You sure you did not see a detonation medal? Would like to see a video displaying this curious case.

Just shoot at a German or British BB, then you'll see what half a dozen regular pens will do.

It's the way the detailed ribbons communicate what is going on.  it's horribly inaccurate and leads to way too much weird crap that doesn't tell the player what is truly happening.  A shell can apparently register as two hits for damage but the detailed ribbon only let's it show as one. 

It's a complicated issue, I'm sure, but it's one that WG has never bothered discussing.

• Cool 2

Members
182 posts
728 battles
1 hour ago, Shadowrigger1 said:

Yup i feel your pain.

[ADR]
Members
4,314 posts
13,374 battles
46 minutes ago, Business6 said:

Happens quite frequently especially against destroyers.  Had two shells from my Kurfurst register for almost 11k damage despite being overpens for a decent strike against a Shim.  He was lengthwise, of course

Now that you are mentioning it,   yeah, I have seen it,  both on the Receiving end and Giving end,  on Destroyers..   I normally don't pay attention to the "good to me" hits, only the wth moments. 

[NG-NL]
Members
5,032 posts
8,285 battles

Problem is without a video/gif to show how it happens, how is WG going to track down the glitch?

In all my BB citadels, this hasn't happened to me. Maybe you just got the Super-AP that time (as in, SC when trying for regular container).

[OPG]
Members
3,983 posts
5,714 battles

I actually find it's incredibly common to get "double dip" damage on my shells.  When playing BBs I'll get a single overpen for 5k damage(over pen + regular pen) all the time, but I've never seen a citadel do more than it was supposed to.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,687 posts
9,098 battles
5 hours ago, Business6 said:

I've seen this a lot with an overpen adding up to overpen + shell pen and all sorts of other combinations.  Had a few 17k damage citadels, too.

That's bad enough for anyone on the receiving end but it's also extremely ridiculous to get half pen damage or zero damage shell pens.  In a given match somewhere between 10% to as many as 40% of shell pens have been for zero damage for me.

The zero damage pens are module damage which is unseen and only noticed when the module is destroyed or incapacitated.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,986 posts
7,530 battles
2 hours ago, francesabyss said:

Yup i feel your pain.

As do I. Pens for no damage, and overpens for eff all damage, seem to be the way of things for me lately. RNG is effing annoying. >_>

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,775 posts
5,809 battles

Is a citadel counted as its own hit separately from regular pen/nonpen/overpen hits?

shot-18.02.24_16.01.51-0226.jpg

[PT8TO]
Members
1,410 posts
13,323 battles
3 hours ago, Business6 said:

It's the way the detailed ribbons communicate what is going on.  it's horribly inaccurate and leads to way too much weird crap that doesn't tell the player what is truly happening.  A shell can apparently register as two hits for damage but the detailed ribbon only let's it show as one. 

It's a complicated issue, I'm sure, but it's one that WG has never bothered discussing.

the 2 or 3 shell penetrations on a salvo for 0 damage irritates the living hell out of me lol.

Edited by GUNSTAR_THE_LEGEND
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,465 posts
11,785 battles
5 hours ago, AlcatrazNC said:

This is really becoming annoying.

Another game later, I decided to take out my Spee. I shot at an ennemi Cleveland and....score a citadel with 11.5k damage. I was kinda surprise with the damage so I looked at her max AP shell  damage : "8400". Yeah that only shell did a citadel damage + full pen.

Took out my Amagi, same story. I land a single citadel and I deal more damage than what I should have done. 

So far this glitch seems to only affect BB AP.  I landed several citadel with my cruiser or DD and I never dealt more than...well a citadel damage.  

So I took out my Graff Spee......that only shell did a citadel damage + full pen. 

So far this glitch seems to only affect BB AP.  I landed several citadel with my cruiser or DD and I never delt more than...well a citadel damage.

2 quotes from op....

Last time I played my Graff Sped she was a cruiser.

• Funny 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,465 posts
11,785 battles

Takes Roma out.....

Full salvo at broadside battleship 15 km away.....

Gets 1 pen , no damage.....

[Smiles]

At least I hit the SOB....

• Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,687 posts
9,098 battles
13 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

So I took out my Graff Spee......that only shell did a citadel damage + full pen. 

So far this glitch seems to only affect BB AP.  I landed several citadel with my cruiser or DD and I never delt more than...well a citadel damage.

2 quotes from op....

Last time I played my Graff Sped she was a cruiser.

I think this effects all AP but BB AP has a lot more punch so is noticed easier and the Graf's guns are BB caliber.

• Cool 1

Members
182 posts
728 battles
1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Takes Roma out.....

Full salvo at broadside battleship 15 km away.....

Gets 1 pen , no damage.....

[Smiles]

At least I hit the SOB....

$60 wasted i feel your pain also.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,256 posts
5 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Meanwhile in co-op; the only possible result for bot vs player damage is a full pen or citadel; while when you shoot at them; even broadside; it’s as above.

Yep.

Why is it a bot BB shooting at a player DD's broadside gets normal pens or more*   when BB AP SHOULD overpen the broadside of a DD?   Like it does when WE players shoot at DD's.

* I say more, because I get nuked by BB AP for most of my health in one shot- AND I get to hear the citadel noise followed by silence.   Do bots get to ignore the fact we don't have citadels too?

I'll agree that it's insanely frustrating to nail a broadside enemy with a perfect salvo- and get nothing but "thanks for playing!" overpens, bounces and 0 damage pens.  Cruiser, BB it doesn't matter- much of the time I feel gimped, like I'm fighting with one hand tied behind my back.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
3 hours ago, Reymu said:

Problem is without a video/gif to show how it happens, how is WG going to track down the glitch?

In all my BB citadels, this hasn't happened to me. Maybe you just got the Super-AP that time (as in, SC when trying for regular container).

They already know about it, according to LWM they're working on a redo of the pen mechanics. It should remove the double hits and remove getting full pens on DDs with BB AP.

In general it seems like a very welcome nerf to BB AP.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,465 posts
11,785 battles
6 hours ago, Business6 said:

Like a New York getting a kill using torpedoes.....

Yea it is bugged.