You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Riker_2

Tier 8 Battleships

30 comments in this topic

[HRG]
Members
31 posts
3,918 battles

I am close to getting US tier 8 battleship and getting close on German tier 8 battleship which one is the better ship 

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

If your playstyle leans more stand-off-ish USN. 

If you're more up close more often then KM.

Members
652 posts
7,492 battles

If you want to be hidden at most of the time and shoot down planes/provide AA cover... Get North Carolina (Stealth/AA build/Superintendent since your torpedo protection is way too weak, and of course its up to you)
But if you rather be tanky and want to lead the main force and support teams by providing a lot of fire assistant and torpedo detection, Get Bismarck (Secondary build along with Superintendent, and again, up to you)

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,446 posts
6,834 battles

In high tier matches NC is better because guns. Bismarck is easier to play because secondary range 

I play both and like both. 

Members
1,148 posts
4,259 battles

North Carolina...

very capable for her tier and can punch above her weight better than the Bismarck

[KNMSU]
Members
3,370 posts
4,000 battles

Bismarck. If you go full secondary (or, my version of full secondary, which doesn't utilize manual targeting), it essentially turns you into a miniature force of nature - you rove the map with this 20km-diameter halo surrounding you. 

• Cool 1

[AXANR]
Members
3,363 posts
16,663 battles

Vastly different playstyles. I tend to play aggressive and brawl a lot, and I still like both, but I play them a bit differently. 

Bismarck is easier to play; it's tanky, and rewards players who are willing to get in close. Her dispersion is punitive at range and 8 15" gun tubes combined with that dispersion make her a terrible fighter at distance, but with secondary spec she can wade in and do enormous damage. While you still have to be cautious of brawling without support, she is very comfortable in a brawl. I can do things with her that would get me killed in North Carolina and survive, but you still have to be careful not to end up outnumbered without teammates to help. That moment where you think you have support and wade into a cap circle only to realize there are 5 enemy ships surrounding you and the 4 ships you thought were with you are running for the back of the map? That's likely your final moment in the match. 

North Carolina is more of a mid-range lancer. She can bow-tank like a champ and having 6 of her 9 16" guns mounted forward means she can use most of her potential DPM even while bow-on. Her secondaries are terrible, but her main guns do far more damage than Bismarck's at any range. She also has god-mode AA for her tier; I kept and still use my North Carolina for missions that require lots of plane kills even though I don't play her much else anymore. Her sides are very vulnerable to citadels, so positioning is key for her. I use a stealth build and play her at mid-range (11-14km) until I see the opportunity to get closer without exposing flanks or overcommiting. At that range, she can back off a bit and go dark to buy time to heal or reposition to support elsewhere, but she's still close enough to accurately hit opposing ships and to charge in quickly when you see your opportunity. When you have that chance, staying bow-on and charging in can absolutely demolish an opposing team; you can wiggle your tail end out to get the occasional salvo from your #3 turret but mostly trust in your bow armor to shrug off shots while accurately raining 16" shells down on the opponents in front of you. 

Bismarck's probably a slightly better choice for a novice player who is willing to play close enough to make optimum use of her attributes. She's also a good choice for players who play mostly solo. North Carolina has a slightly higher skill floor and a significantly higher skill ceiling, especially as a solo player, but if you play divisioned up a lot and have a div partner helping keep your flanks clear (gunboat DDs and light cruisers are great for this,) a less experienced player can still do well even with the inevitable positioning mistakes they will make. 

I own both ships. I enjoy both ships. And both ships have a reasonably consistent evolution into the tier 9 and 10 ships in that line, so if you like North Carolina, you'll probably like Iowa and Montana, and if you like Bismarck, you will REALLY like Friedrich and Grosser Kurfurst. Not going to lie, I usually reach for my Bismarck when I want to play BB at t8 these days, but that's mostly because I play Missouri when I want to play a high-tier USN BB as it makes a lot more credits. If I didn't have a Missouri, I'd probably play NorCar and Bismarck about equally as much. 

• Cool 1

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,769 posts
4,582 battles

In my experience, North Carolina has it better because getting to the close range where the Bismarck excel is much harder to do as tier go up with all the cowardice passive play going on. The NoCar's larger guns go through things better than Bismarck's 38cm, and should you spec for AA (a nearly extinct breed these days) those pesky carriers would be in for a big surprise. Double forward triple turrets works better when bow-on too.

Bismarck does have sonar to pierce through smoke so it really is better for close-in battles, along with significant secondaries with long range.

Members
3,725 posts
15,042 battles

Judging by your "stay as further away as possible from the enemy" playstyle I think North Carolina will be a better choice for you.

Edited by m373x

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,503 battles

NC. 100%. Better, more consistent ship. I fear no Bismarck or Tirp when in this boat. I know where to hit them and the NC's guns are consistent enough to hit that spot directly and deal massive, unrecoverable damage. NC all day.

[SPTR]
Members
25,806 posts
11,120 battles

From my experience I like the NC more than the Bismarck, Bisky can't pull her weight consistently when up tiered, through as the others have said, if you're secondary specced and you get up close and personal Bisky is pretty fun.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,882 posts
10,655 battles

Both are good but vastly different play styles. NC is the mid to long range artillery with amazing AA and Bismarck is the in close brawler with great secondary's but main gun accuracy issues. In a 1 v 1 battle I would take NC every time over Bismarck.

[O_O]
Members
4,425 posts
9,588 battles

They are both excellent, but different.

As stated above, North Carolina is better at mid range.  She is a completely different style of battleship than New York, New Mexico, and Colorado.  Her guns are more accurate and hit like Mack trucks.  You have to keep that broadside protected, however.

Bismarck likes to be right up in the mix of things.  After the initial DD onslaught, don't be afraid to move closer to the front lines.  Her guns are good, but her secondaries are scary for destroyers and many cruisers.  They can reach out to over 10 km when properly spec'd.

You can't go wrong with either, but both require you play to their strengths...and they certainly have strengths!!!

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,559 posts
3,539 battles

The North Carolina is a better ship when uptiered into T9 and T10 battles while the Bismark is incredible when top tier.

North Carolina has awesome guns that take a little while to get used to but will absolutely delete cruisers and DDs while easily citadeling broadside Yamatos at max range. That said you can't show your broadside so you really need to rely on your stealth to get around the map.

The Bismark is tough but its guns suck. Most T9 and T10 matches rarely get to brawling ranges where the Bismark excels at and most players at this point know to keep you to at least 12km away and can keep you there. When top tier the Bismark has the speed to chase everyone down and force the brawl

[PVE]
Members
9,789 posts
7,478 battles
5 hours ago, Riker_2 said:

I am close to getting US tier 8 battleship and getting close on German tier 8 battleship which one is the better ship 

giphy.gif

Seriously, go with this recommendation, if you are looking to see which one first.

5 hours ago, DJ_PON3_ZaNe said:

If you want to be hidden at most of the time and shoot down planes/provide AA cover... Get North Carolina (Stealth/AA build/Superintendent since your torpedo protection is way too weak, and of course its up to you)
But if you rather be tanky and want to lead the main force and support teams by providing a lot of fire assistant and torpedo detection, Get Bismarck (Secondary build along with Superintendent, and again, up to you)

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
5,026 posts
8,264 battles

NC if like MB accuracy and strong AA (as a Taiho captain, just be aware T9+ planes are very resistant).

Bismarck if fond of brawling.

Of the  two, Bismarck takes significantly more investment as well as good judgement when to a push a flank (2.5km more detect than NC).

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,855 posts
11,564 battles

I prefer the Bismarck, it's a really fun ship to play with a full secondary build. But the North Carolina is great too, just not my preferred play style.

Beta Testers
1,196 posts
6,168 battles

North Carolina, no contest. Bismarck is an exercise in frustration with the smaller caliber shells and poor accuracy. North Carolina is incredibly accurate, and those shells are a threat to whatever you manage to hit.

Essentially, North Carolina is anti-frustration. More accurate on average than everything in her tier, AA to make planes really only attack you if there are no better targets, and exceptional stealth. 

Members
1,610 posts
3,573 battles

Well, statistically speaking,  you have a mid-tier ship in the Bismarck and a bottom tier ship in the NC.  Across all the servers the NC is consistently at the bottom and the Bismarck is right around the middle of the pack.  Course I think that just means the Bismarck is the easier of the two ships to play and is more forgiving while the NC requires more range,  which adds in more RNG.  Meanwhile the Bismarck really needs to get close to be effective which helps remove some of the RNG.  Course German battleship dispersion is the height of derp so everything you can do to reduce RNG is important...

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,849 posts
13,067 battles

Lots of good comments above.  I play both, and enjoy both.  Well, I mostly play Alabama vice NC these days, but the comments are still valid.  I gravitate toward the Biz...as I tend to push and brawl.  But I like play variety, so when I feel like the mid game...Alabama it is.  Or if I've have a bad day against CVs...Alabama's a nice pick.

[SYN]
Members
14,456 posts
10,465 battles

You guys forget to mention how slow NC's shells are. Slowest in T8, which makes leading shots difficult