You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Incendiary_Tanker

Have the youth of today lost all respect?

33 comments in this topic

Members
1,352 posts
1,345 battles

After spending the day tutoring at "Weekend School" I as usual, had to take the bus home nothing out of the ordinary here. Now the buses in Canada have specific zones for elderly and disabled peoples, a nice feature.  Now a 18 year old couple get on the bus and sits on in the designated zone; let it be known the other section has it's chair folded up. 

On the next stop, an rather elderly lady gets on the bust with walker. Now common courtesy would dictate that you as a young person would get up and give your seat to the elderly women. Of course they don't. Instead  they sit there giving blank looks to me and the other bus riders. Meanwhile this poor old lady is struggling to pull down the raised chair, she eventually gives up and clings on for dear life, nearly falling. Now, I'm sitting here giving dirty looks to these kids, but they can't get the hint. 

So I sitting at the back of the bus get up, and pull down the seat for the old lady who thanks me, as well as a few other bus riders. I then turn to these "kids" and call them out on their inaction saying they should be ashamed. Apparently they didn't understand their mistake because they then tried to confront me in a busy bus loop saying I should "Apologize" for being rude to them. 

Me being rude, Indeed! I guess being showing common courtesy and educating an ignorant individual is considered rude here.  I might only be 16, but I know when something is wrong and in this situation I think I was justified for calling out these idiots. 

:fish_palm:

• Cool 6

[SOL-B]
Members
217 posts
7,876 battles

One time these darn kids were on my lawn.   I was like ARGH.  get off my lawn you darn kids.  

• Funny 3

Members
1,747 posts
3,622 battles

It's how kids will always be, it's not any specific generation but more of a age group thing. They'll grow up eventually

• Cool 1

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,992 battles
11 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

It's how kids will always be, it's not any specific generation but more of a age group thing. They'll grow up eventually

I forgot which Greek Philosopher said it, but one in Athens in the period from 600-200BCE made a comment about how the Youth of that generation didn't show enough respect to elders and all the usual stuff you hear today. Has always happened, just you notice it more the older you become.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
26,942 posts
14,550 battles

Some of these kids these days are just straight out disrespectful and assume the world revolves around them, makes it a worse for the rest of us. I wish that couple is banned from using buses.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
11,936 posts
4,602 battles
32 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

No they won't.  Not if noone tells them how grown-ups act.  Common courtesy - or even common sense - does not develop naturally.  It's a learned behavior.

Ya done good, Tanker.

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,577 posts
4,246 battles

A lot of kids nowadays just aren't taught basic etiquette. Good on you for helping the old lady out.

• Cool 1

Members
10 posts
17,782 battles
"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

ATTRIBUTION: Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato

[AXANR]
Members
3,502 posts
20,032 battles

Meh. When old people stop destroying the planet, electing warmongering jerks, and saddling us with hundreds of thousands of dollars in student loan debt while giving massive handouts to corporations, we'll stop rustling their jimmies. Respect is a two way street.  

• Cool 4

[DLC]
Members
1,193 posts
4,701 battles
44 minutes ago, pastore123 said:

I guess I don’t expect much from kids who eat tide pods...

Its funny because poison control calls for laundry pods have been on the decline since 2015 but I guess all it takes is for a breakout meme to make it seem like its happening with a higher frequency than in reality.

2015: 14,349

2017: 12,299

Jury's still out on 2018 though so who knows? Maybe they cut the difference and surpassed the 2015 statistic.

Plus, there's also the statement thrown here and there by news outlets (i.e. NBC) that more adults have eaten tide pods than kids so I guess these kids must've learned it from somewhere eh?

Edited by Combined_Fleet_HQ

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
952 posts
12,610 battles

First off, I'd have to question the driver for taking off in this situation.  "But they have a schedule to adhere to", yeah, well you can bite me.  I HATE paper work, and someone falling on the bus means I'd have to do said paper work.  So I wouldn't move.  I've left out the obvious however, It's just proper to wait.

Have to play the bad guy here...

Second off, what you did is a double edged sword.  Not sure how they handle things there, but the way we do it is different.  While most drivers will not take action in the situation you are describing, causing a commotion, even if you were in the right, IS grounds for me to have you removed from the bus.  Now, it varies from driver to driver, but there are some that will tell you to leave, and if you do not, WILL have you arrested.  It's a bit embarrassing to admit that...  I, on the other hand, will see how you go about doing it.  I WILL warn you if you are doing it incorrectly, and will give you MANY opportunities to change your course, but if you do not, I will be forced to take action and tell you to leave.  If you do not, I will have you arrested.  Again: Rules are fairly clear, and a commotion is grounds for removal.  You will have the option to leave of your own will, or be arrested.  Obviously this also means it applies to them as well.  In the situation you described, based off of what you have told us, I'd tell you both to chill.  I may agree with your stance and will give you more opportunities, but I cannot overlook the commotion.

Now, did you take into account that they may have a disability?  "Oh they look fine" won't cut it.  Just because they APPEAR to be fine, doesn't mean they are.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
23,440 posts
24,062 battles
2 hours ago, Psycodiver said:

It may also be a function of parenting.  Did their parents instill respectfulness towards their elders in their kids?  It may seems like common sense.  But at times, common sense seems far from common.

[AXANR]
Members
3,502 posts
20,032 battles
28 minutes ago, Volron said:

Now, did you take into account that they may have a disability?  "Oh they look fine" won't cut it.  Just because they APPEAR to be fine, doesn't mean they are.

This. My best friend is a 27 year old woman who is very attractive and fit. She looks fine. She's not. She is disabled and has a service dog for her disability. Her disability may be invisible most of the time, but it's very valid. She constantly gets hassled about her service dog because her disability isn't easily visible most of the time (and there is ZERO doubt in my mind she would be dead by now if she hadn't been paired with her service dog three years ago) , and even before she had him she got hassled about using resources intended for disabled people. 

I have witnessed and sometimes intervened in (depending on how much energy she has, as she prefers me to let her handle things herself) situations where some entitled person, almost always a middle-aged or elderly guy or a 'soccer mom' type being self-righteous, makes a big stink out of something like her parking in a handicapped spot (because I guess people think it's her parents' car or something) or bringing her service dog into a restaurant. I can absolutely see something like the incident the OP describes happening with her. If I was sitting with her trying to calm her down after a seizure or trigger event (and I use trigger in the medical/psychological sense, which is a thing even though trigger warnings are sometimes hilariously overused), and trying to keep her from spiralling out into a major episode (as I often had to do before she had her service dog) , I'm not going to get up for the elderly lady, I'm going to keep trying to keep my friend ok. 

We are all fighting our own battles. No matter what someone looks like, they may not be what you assume them to be. Also, here's a picture of Leo the service dog as a reward for reading this. This dog is my hero; he keeps my friend alive. 

xZnGIB0.jpg

Edited by poeticmotion
  • Cool 3

[A-D-F]
Members
2,105 posts
2 hours ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

After spending the day tutoring at "Weekend School" I as usual, had to take the bus home nothing out of the ordinary here. Now the buses in Canada have specific zones for elderly and disabled peoples, a nice feature.  Now a 18 year old couple get on the bus and sits on in the designated zone; let it be known the other section has it's chair folded up. 

On the next stop, an rather elderly lady gets on the bust with walker. Now common courtesy would dictate that you as a young person would get up and give your seat to the elderly women. Of course they don't. Instead  they sit there giving blank looks to me and the other bus riders. Meanwhile this poor old lady is struggling to pull down the raised chair, she eventually gives up and clings on for dear life, nearly falling. Now, I'm sitting here giving dirty looks to these kids, but they can't get the hint. 

So I sitting at the back of the bus get up, and pull down the seat for the old lady who thanks me, as well as a few other bus riders. I then turn to these "kids" and call them out on their inaction saying they should be ashamed. Apparently they didn't understand their mistake because they then tried to confront me in a busy bus loop saying I should "Apologize" for being rude to them. 

Me being rude, Indeed! I guess being showing common courtesy and educating an ignorant individual is considered rude here.  I might only be 16, but I know when something is wrong and in this situation I think I was justified for calling out these idiots. 

This is why we have all those beautiful national parks filled with millions of acres of remote wilderness, where shallow graves go unnoticed.

• Funny 1

Members
182 posts
761 battles
4 hours ago, Tommy_Bluestreetcar said:

"The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for
authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place
of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their
households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They
contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties
at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.

ATTRIBUTION: Attributed to SOCRATES by Plato
They no longer rise when elders enter the room.

we did this at school.

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,203 posts

Back in the days when you could still smoke on public transportation, two high school-age hooligans were smoking and blowing smoke in my face. I asked them to stop, which only made them do it more. I therefore opened the bus window, which ticked them off because it was winter and cold. They then started saying that they were going to kick my <bleep> and since they didn't get off the bus but waited until I did, I figured that they were serious. Eventually, I came to my stop and got off. They then jumped me. Unfortunately for them, they didn't realize that I was a soldier and was on my way to taekwondo class. I put them both on the ground without actually injuring them and then they got up and ran away. That was a long time ago. Now, I'd probably be jailed for assault on a minor, even though those 17-year-olds were only a year or two younger than me.

Respect, I think, has as much to do with genes and innate personality as it does with upbringing. The lady who lives across the street from me is 95. Her youngest son it the most respectful person you'd ever want to meet and spends the weekday nights at her house making sure she is OK. It works well because he has to pick up water for his cattle anyway. Her oldest son is a no-account who wouldn't help her up if she fell down. Even though he lives in town he never shows up unless he has a load of laundry he wants her to wash (he's 65 too, which shows how much of a loser he is). He's served time in the pen, which reveals more about his character.   

Edited by Snargfargle

-Members-
1,266 posts
13 battles

I agree, they should have given up their seats. Thank you for giving up your seat. I'm sure she appreciated it and was extremely thankful. 

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles
7 hours ago, poeticmotion said:

This. My best friend is a 27 year old woman who is very attractive and fit. She looks fine. She's not. She is disabled and has a service dog for her disability. Her disability may be invisible most of the time, but it's very valid. She constantly gets hassled about her service dog because her disability isn't easily visible most of the time (and there is ZERO doubt in my mind she would be dead by now if she hadn't been paired with her service dog three years ago) , and even before she had him she got hassled about using resources intended for disabled people. 

I have witnessed and sometimes intervened in (depending on how much energy she has, as she prefers me to let her handle things herself) situations where some entitled person, almost always a middle-aged or elderly guy or a 'soccer mom' type being self-righteous, makes a big stink out of something like her parking in a handicapped spot (because I guess people think it's her parents' car or something) or bringing her service dog into a restaurant. I can absolutely see something like the incident the OP describes happening with her. If I was sitting with her trying to calm her down after a seizure or trigger event (and I use trigger in the medical/psychological sense, which is a thing even though trigger warnings are sometimes hilariously overused), and trying to keep her from spiralling out into a major episode (as I often had to do before she had her service dog) , I'm not going to get up for the elderly lady, I'm going to keep trying to keep my friend ok. 

We are all fighting our own battles. No matter what someone looks like, they may not be what you assume them to be. Also, here's a picture of Leo the service dog as a reward for reading this. This dog is my hero; he keeps my friend alive. 

xZnGIB0.jpg

Wow! What a good boy!

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,203 posts

Showing respect and being cordial can go a long way towards greasing the wheels of society. Even in this game, if someone is acting like a petulant child it sours not only the match but that portion of my day. Conversely, if people are witty and funny in chat it just enhances the match, If people are cordial and funny enough I don't even mind losing.

That said, just how much do we owe others, especially in random encounters? When I first went to Chicago I gave $5 to a bum. My cousin then told me that same "bum" was there every day, if the weather was nice, and after "work" would get into a nice car and then drive off to the suburbs. I once saw a lady with a sign begging for money to "feed her kids" standing outside Wal-Mart. Two college girls went and bought a large pizza and gave it to her. After they drove off the just threw it into the ditch and continued to beg for money. I friend of my dad's had two "gang banger" types and a teenage girl stop at his farmhouse recently. The girl went to his door and demanded money, saying that she would tell her "friends" that he was trying to <bleep> her if he didn't give her any money and they would beat him up. I'm sure that they pulled that scam all over the small towns of the midwest and got a bunch of money. Unfortunately for them, this time they were trying to scam the county sheriff. He called a couple of deputies and they took a trip to the local jail.

The last time a young girl tried to beg from me by showing me a kid, I asked her if it was her kid. She said that it wasn't and she had just borrowed it.

Edited by Snargfargle

[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,717 posts
14,074 battles

If I were to say my full feelings on this matter I'd get banned because there's a lot of political jargon that would be needed to back up my point. and we're not supposed to do that type of thing on the forums.:Smile_sceptic:

so I'll say this instead.

I find that most millinials are some of the most disgusting people I run into. Their rude, uneducated and lack any kinda of respect or decensy to other people (especially those who are older).:Smile-angry:

• Cool 2

Members
627 posts
699 battles

Have the youth of today lost all respect?

Speaking as a man of 34 years, I'd say that a large segment of the adult population hasn't done much of anything to be worthy of it.  If anything, I'd say the problem is that kids, especially teens, are learning early that most people are [edited] and only barely worth the air they breathe, let alone actual respect.

The wonders of modern communication and instant information sharing.

[REVY]
Members
6,293 posts
5,164 battles
21 hours ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

I can only speak for the US, but the older generations are teaching us that to get anywhere in life, you have to be as disrespectful, rude and bombastic as possible.  Otherwise no one will respect or remember you.  Those kids would have lost a perfectly good seat if they didn't fight for it.

Members
1,352 posts
1,345 battles
25 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I can only speak for the US, but the older generations are teaching us that to get anywhere in life, you have to be as disrespectful, rude and bombastic as possible.  Otherwise no one will respect or remember you.  Those kids would have lost a perfectly good seat if they didn't fight for it.

On an empty bus, right...

[REVY]
Members
6,293 posts
5,164 battles
Just now, Incendiary_Tanker said:

On an empty bus, right...

You wouldn't have given these kids a second thought if they had sat anywhere else.  Now your here, talking about them with dozens of people in multiple countries.