Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Usedcarjock

Izumo Chronicles: Day 1

17 comments in this topic

[SEALZ]
Members
633 posts
7,028 battles

Captain's Log Date: 25 February 2018

After graduating from the Amagi (really did not like it) I have moved on to what is considered the worst battleship in the game, IJN Izumo. Four games in, and I have quickly ascertained the perks and deficits of this mighty vessel. The perks include: everything about the guns. The guns on the Izumo clicked immediately, and are a far cry better than the Amagi's guns which I could never truly get the hang of. The deficits are pretty much everything else, and are in line with what other say about the ship. The turret configuration is awful; she eats penetrations like no other battleship I have played, including German BBs. The citadel is massive, and punishes you for a slight mistake, which I don't mind for the most part until I get myself into a pickle and can't turn around. The AA is mediocre at best, and the armor is asking for HE spam from cruisers. And yet despite all this, I don't hate the ship.... yet. While I would prefer a higher winrate (then again it's the weekend, more data required) I am doing consistent damage (93k average) to a variety of ships, which at the very least keeps me engaged. Tomorrow will be a test to see if tonight was just a fluke or if I may actually like this floating barge.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,540 posts
12,198 battles

Ugh, I'm glad the guns work for you; it's the one thing (and really the most important thing) I can't get on this ship. Something about the way I aim makes every salvo a straddle and when I do hit it's just bounces or overpens. 

[SEALZ]
Members
633 posts
7,028 battles
2 minutes ago, pikohan said:

Ugh, I'm glad the guns work for you; it's the one thing (and really the most important thing) I can't get on this ship. Something about the way I aim makes every salvo a straddle and when I do hit it's just bounces or overpens. 

While I do get that from time to time, im just happy the guns don’t shotgun as much.

[RKLES]
Members
10,984 posts
12,551 battles

Pretty much All the ships in IJN BB line are good, except Izumo. No sure why some in this thread don't like Amagi when enjoyed good successes with it?

Members
1,352 posts
1,345 battles

At least you didn't have to suffer Myoko... ugh I didn't like her in Kancolle, I knew I was going to hate her here as well.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Supertester
891 posts
9,909 battles

The Izumo is a lot better now than in its initial stages. Three hulls, different shells then as well.

It was difficult to get damage with her then. Now she is still hard but a lot more balanced. She is still a good vessel to learn the Yamato play style though.

[SALT]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,660 posts
2,992 battles

Honestly, I wouldn't have hated the Izumo as much if it wasn't for this list of things.

1. Half the TDS that Amagi has before it. Made so little sense to me how you go from 44% TDS to like 25% on a ship larger, longer, with worse AA (Till the C hull) and a terrible turn radius and turn rate. It literally screams to get CV TB'd
  2. The third turret placement. The A-140 series had a few like Izumo and like Nelson with the third turret forward. If it had that 3rd turret forward it wouldn't have been as bad and many that liked to Nelson could have made her work.
  3. The Stock Hull AA. No, seriously, the Stock hull needs to go. The B hull should been base and more 25mm guns should be all over this thing. Yes, we get it, USA's the AA nation, but it's the only ship up the line that's for whatever reason a huge golf course with little AA taking it up like all other vessels.
  4. The Barndoors of please citadel my rear with Cruiser guns because it's a perfect straight shot into it. If you are forced to turn away and run, it's so easy for enemy ships to citadel you from behind since there is zero deck to stop those rounds from going right into that perfect guided rear access hatch of SURPRISE!

I'm shocked you didn't like the Amagi as I had a blast in it and eventually will rebuy her when the tier 8 MM stops going full [edited] into tier 10's a lot. In tier 8/9 matches she was so fun for me doing pushes and angle tanking. Izumo does have harder hitting guns and can get some serious reload with the module but damn if all the above problems didn't make hate her. Honestly, not even joking. Every MATCH I took her out had an enemy CV and they almost always singled me out. I don't blame them as the Izumo is a perfect target with it's poor AA and poor TDS system. Even with a buddy dropping DFAA near me, 12x torps dropped from the Tier 10 Taiho still netted 8 hits turning into the TB's and god does it take 10 years to get into a turn without C hull (I always run rudder mod on my BB's too)

[SALT]
3,660 posts
2,992 battles
1 minute ago, joris92 said:

We got two weird people in this topic; one disliked Amagi and the other one suffered in a Myoko... :Smile_amazed:

I loved both of them too. Only reason why my Myoko dropped out of Unicum stats was that I played it a lot during Christmas and that ship is a bit hard to carry with if all of your BB's die within 4 minutes. So, DMG kept up, W/R hit the floor lol.

[SYN]
Members
15,462 posts
12,778 battles

Myoko: I don't like having to fight my ship to get the turrets to turn, especially on a cruiser

Izumo: I wrote a review of that a while ago.

Amagi: has nice firepower, but it's difficult to use, especially with CV matches.

Edited by MrDeaf

[SPTR]
Members
26,919 posts
14,501 battles

People playing the Izumo are more at it's mercy than the enemies they are shooting at... lets make op an exception for now.

[SALT]
3,660 posts
2,992 battles
26 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

People playing the Izumo are more at it's mercy than the enemies they are shooting at... lets make op an exception for now.

Joking aside, I've never bought into the whole conspiracy theory crap you see spewed on the forums all the time about how MM is rigged, Russian Bias, and all that jazz; however, if there ever was a time that for a moment I seriously considered that they put in a paywall to make people to want to pay to advance, it was the Izumo.

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,540 posts
6,039 battles

I don't mind Izumo actually. Its main crime is being an underwhelming tier IX that plays identically to Yamato, it just does it fifty-times worse.

[LEGIT]
Members
2,073 posts
28,281 battles

I couldn't Izumo.  After fully grinding all the upgrade I free XP to the Yamato.  Night and day difference.  Yammy Whammy hitting a bow on cruiser at 21 km - priceless.

Beta Testers
1,258 posts
8,657 battles
8 hours ago, MrDeaf said:

Myoko: I don't like having to fight my ship to get the turrets to turn, especially on a cruiser

Izumo: I wrote a review of that a while ago.

Amagi: has nice firepower, but it's difficult to use, especially with CV matches.

Agreed with Myoko. Can't stand turrets that slow on a cruiser.

Amagi at the very least suffers less in CV games compared to the Izumo, at least. TDS actually has a slightly more relevant impact against carriers, and she's not a floating dive bomb damage factory like Izumo is either.

To be fair, going from Amagi to Izumo is a massive playstyle change, and you're forced to do it in a not so spectacular ship. It's definitely a crash course in Yamato, but with all of the Yamato weaknesses and none of the strengths.

Sign in to follow this