You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Old TV Show can be Hillarious

19 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
11,022 posts
12,551 battles

Got to love how old movies and TV shows would get things mixed up or attempt to pass off something as something else.

Was just watching some Mchale's Navy Season 3 Episode 19 when the PT 73 had to kill their engines to avoid detection by a "Japanese Destroyer" I laughed so hard when they showed what they tried to pass off as a DD... 

Poor Graf Spee, nobody can decide what it is, Cruiser, Battleship, Pocket Battleship, Battlecruiser, and now I guess it's a Destroyer???:Smile_teethhappy:

IMG_0749.thumb.PNG.2850e1a9f3307ab6123943994bded2da.PNG

IMG_0751.thumb.PNG.4c83b3df9903e34f5f51bd490ff74887.PNG

• Cool 2

[KOHAI]
Members
1,670 posts
4,820 battles

That destroyer looks suspect...

Perhaps it wasn't actually a destroyer...

Nope, definitely a destroyer.

[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Well consider the size difference of a PT Boat and  Destroyer TV likes Size contrast especially from the 60&70s. I am surprised they didn't use a Cruiser.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,545 posts
12,254 battles

I'm gonna be honest here, before I started playing this game, I had no idea what the difference is between a destroyer, cruiser, or battleship :Smile_teethhappy:

[RKLES]
Members
11,022 posts
12,551 battles
7 hours ago, pikohan said:

I'm gonna be honest here, before I started playing this game, I had no idea what the difference is between a destroyer, cruiser, or battleship :Smile_teethhappy:

Well considering I was hauling history and various science, architecture, how things work books off the shelves ever since I was 1st or second grade in elementary school. I had some understanding of what some of the ships were, granted the lines between some were quite blurred as far as some ships went. But if I saw a major Battleship, Destroyer, or Carrier I knew what kind of ship, but not the actually Class of the ships...

But your right the game really does teach us a lot if we're are willing to study to find out about each ship in the game / in history.

[FU8AR]
Alpha Tester
479 posts
4,190 battles

And in the Movie "Battle of the River Platte". they use USS Salem (CA-139) for the role of Graf Spee...

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester, Modder, Privateers
8,659 posts

600px-Patton_411.jpg
Panzers from the film "Patton"
Kind of ironic~

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,932 battles
14 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Got to love how old movies and TV shows would get things mixed up or attempt to pass off something as something else.

Was just watching some Mchale's Navy Season 3 Episode 19 when the PT 73 had to kill their engines to avoid detection by a "Japanese Destroyer" I laughed so hard when they showed what they tried to pass off as a DD... 

Poor Graf Spee, nobody can decide what it is, Cruiser, Battleship, Pocket Battleship, Battlecruiser, and now I guess it's a Destroyer???:Smile_teethhappy:

IMG_0749.thumb.PNG.2850e1a9f3307ab6123943994bded2da.PNG

IMG_0751.thumb.PNG.4c83b3df9903e34f5f51bd490ff74887.PNG

Giggles to himself about how they got Akagi and Hiryu wrong in "Tora! Tora! Tora!" Or how Michael Bay thought pretty explosions could hide the fact that those are modern DDs in Pearl pretending to be WW II era DDs (ah who are we kidding, it's Bay).

[SOUP]
Modder, Supertester, Modder, Privateers
8,659 posts
1 hour ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Giggles to himself about how they got Akagi and Hiryu wrong in "Tora! Tora! Tora!" Or how Michael Bay thought pretty explosions could hide the fact that those are modern DDs in Pearl pretending to be WW II era DDs (ah who are we kidding, it's Bay).

They also got the carrier wrong too in Pearl Harbour, among many MANY other things

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,932 battles
5 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

They also got the carrier wrong too in Pearl Harbour, among many MANY other things

I had given that to The better Pearl Harbor movie, but yes the Bay one is a complete crapshow. Besides with the exception of Akagi and Hiryu, the rest of it is pretty much accurate. 

[REVY]
Members
6,293 posts
5,164 battles
2 hours ago, Chobittsu said:

Tora Tora Tora, filmed on location
nagatoakagi_by_chobittsu_studios-dc4a88v

I wished they kept that set.  Would be an awesome day at the beach.

NMOS1f7.jpg

[FU8AR]
Alpha Tester
479 posts
4,190 battles

Pearl Harbor (2001) was such a let down.  For every little bit of realism/cool thing, so many things they got wrong that could have been easy fixes.  The over arching story line of the love triangle, nothing could have fixed that.

[REVY]
Members
6,293 posts
5,164 battles
41 minutes ago, Irishwind said:

Pearl Harbor (2001) was such a let down.  For every little bit of realism/cool thing, so many things they got wrong that could have been easy fixes.  The over arching story line of the love triangle, nothing could have fixed that.

Pearl Harbor is what happens when you get a trash director that's trying to maximize profit. 

/Monopoly Guy Voice "That film made a boatload of movie, mission accomplished!  It did what a film is suppose to do.  Make money."

"What about honoring the memory of the battle and all those that died?"

/Monopoly Guy Voice "You Communist!  You'll never work in this industry again!"

[BNKR]
Members
546 posts
362 battles

Been 20 years or so since I seen it but try watching the movie  Battle of El Alamein, iirc they really screwed up the tanks on that one.

The only redeeming quality in my mind of the 2001 Pearl Harbor movie is that they included the Dollitle Raid