Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Roadster311

Des Moines

16 comments in this topic

[BUNNY]
Members
255 posts
10,743 battles

Have had the DM for a while but haven't played it much until today. Pretty fragile but still loving it. Wish she were a bit more maneuverable but I'm getting to love her

[PLDN]
Supertester
2,103 posts
5,920 battles

She is one of the only ships I worry about with my Hindenburg, inside 10km that DPM gets incredible.

Members
1,871 posts
16,403 battles

One of the best "carry"  cruisers out there.  Had a match today, 100K damage, 44 planes shot down - red said in chat that the reason they lost was "we didn't kill the DM".....

Edited by Panzer1113
  • Boring 1

[SSBN]
[SSBN]
Members
367 posts
7,654 battles
25 minutes ago, X15 said:

She is one of the only ships I worry about with my Hindenburg, inside 10km that DPM gets incredible.

I second this. There are a few feelings worse than facing a nose in desmemes, your only hope is a torp rush.

[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I agree

43 minutes ago, gmrbull said:

I second this. There are a few feelings worse than facing a nose in desmemes, your only hope is a torp rush.

[WOLF2]
Members
289 posts
16,308 battles

you can always find a Des Meme behind the mountain, sometimes a minotaur is also there !

Supertester
435 posts
10,044 battles

Des Memes is amazing. I had a battle where I was very low HP and a Khabarovsk decided to rush me. He probably was thinking something like "Muh 50mm plating, good luck penning me with HE. Prepare to get rekt :cap_haloween: ". And I was like "Ever heard about AP? :Smile_trollface: " and then I proceeded to take his entire health with a few salvos. I would've told him that that's why you don't rush a Des Memes, but his own team beat me to the punch.

[RLGN]
Members
12,300 posts
22,047 battles
4 hours ago, X15 said:

Why? Seems like everything and it's uncle just blows DM the hell out of the water with nothing more serious than a barely registered snapshot....

Beta Testers
1,458 posts
8,476 battles
10 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Why? Seems like everything and it's uncle just blows DM the hell out of the water with nothing more serious than a barely registered snapshot....

In the right hands, this boat can be a nasty killer.  

[ZR]
Members
984 posts
12,269 battles
38 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

If its a battleship sure.  If you are fighting at that 10k window then the high dps is something that lets it win trades with other cruisers.

[RLGN]
Members
12,300 posts
22,047 battles
46 minutes ago, Crusin_Custard said:

In the right hands, this boat can be a nasty killer.  

19 minutes ago, MountainManxDan said:

If you are fighting at that 10k window then the high dps is something that lets it win trades with other cruisers.

Of course there is endless testimony to that effect; just not in my personal experience.

[PLDN]
Supertester
2,103 posts
5,920 battles
11 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

DM should have an island between it and anything with 16 inch guns or larger. You bow camp and handily win DPM contests.

[CAST]
Members
4,798 posts
3,359 battles

I have Des Moines and she's a fantastic ship. But I also know how reckless I can get and this ship brutally punishes anyone for playing aggressively in her. I can absolutely wreck any cruiser or DD I go up against, but BBs delete this ship if they so much as snort at her. The main problem being that her upper belt is also 27mm and hence she gets smashed by 16 inch AP even when sharply angled. Her upper belt needs to be 30mm to match her deck. I don't mind that her side is so squishy, but it would be nice to have at least *some* protection from battleship shells if she's angled.

Also, for some reason, despite having really good deck armor for a cruiser, she gets absolutely wrecked by AP bombs, whereas much more lightly armored decks like Hindy or Minotaur get tickled with overpens due to being unable to arm the fuse on those bombs. This is just beyond stupid. Minimum fuse on AP bombs should be MUCH lower than the current 70mm found on USN AP bombs.

[WOLF3]
Members
22,938 posts
20,865 battles
9 hours ago, _Dracarys said:

Personally hate the playstyle of DM and mino. Zao and HIV way better

My criticism for ship like Zao and Henri IV is that they are merely more ships in the large stable of long range damage farmers in these tiers.  The ships that can affect things where they matter most, the cap area where DDs like to dwell, are few and far in between.  And that is where DM & Minotaur are at their best.  Moskva could also, but she's so large that she tips her hand too easily with bad detection, and her ability to sail well in confined areas is troubling at best, but she has the consumables for it.

It's very common to find 9 ships standing off at long range while the DDs are left alone with everyone expecting them to carry the day while BBs & Cruisers are sitting back at 15km+.  But it's quite a bit of help if a DM can snake its way to help in the objectives while everyone else is only farming damage at long range.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sign in to follow this