You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IfYouSeeKhaos

What's the determining factors for zero XP?

28 comments in this topic

[PVE]
Members
3,952 posts
22,262 battles

So I used my damage control immediately after being set on fire & then the enemy air force arrived...needless to say the hammer strike (although it didn't take me out initially) in combo w/the bomb drops resulted in massive fire & flooding damage that annihilated me rather quickly.

I managed to shoot down 4 planes & loosen 15 rounds but due to smoke my targets were fading in & out & no shells landed (I on the other hand remained perfectly spotted throughout even before the planes arrived as my DDs smoke only covered himself in the cap (not his fault...I was a bit too far forward & away from support for my Musashi's AA abilities to be effective).

But I did manage to get over a million potential damage racked up in my very short (3 1/4minutes of) game time in just under 10km of movement but I got a zero XP from the battle. I know I wasn't very useful in the battle but I wasn't afk & a million potential damage is a million potential damage that wasn't being aimed at my teammates.

So just wondering how much more I needed to accomplish (not that I accomplished much of anything admittedly) to get credited w/a participation award.

shot-18_02.24_14_22.54-0266.thumb.jpg.dd9b2faa343b6799360f01d1b4804f69.jpg

[RLGN]
Members
12,231 posts
21,951 battles

Look at the details page, you should have credits listed there, even if the total is negative.

Not sure bout the zero xp; had that happen recently myself.

I thought zero xp was from never moving out of spawn? but maybe there’s some minimum distance traveled requirement?

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,815 posts
4,346 battles

If I'm not misremembering (and I could be wrong), the bare minimum is having dealt a bit of damage, even just 1 point of it. The only time I ever got 0 XP was due to getting detonated a few minutes into the match as a DD, though I still got Silver for capping successfully (I was ambushed as I was leaving the cap, and my guns were facing the wrong way).

Members
837 posts
5,358 battles

I think XP is determined by spotting, damage done and bases captured / prevented capture. The algorithm for xp and credits is a shadow zone, no one really knows how it works.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,100 posts
15,420 battles

I've gotten cap and ended up with 0xp    basically its WG's idea of  punishing afk player. 

shot-18.01.17_18.54.59-0448.jpg

Edited by centarina

[PLDN]
Supertester
2,102 posts
5,890 battles

Musashi's AA abilities

:cap_wander_2::cap_fainting:

As stated, we don't actually know.

[WOLF5]
Members
788 posts
29,398 battles

From other posts in the forum, it seems that if your team loses and you don't damage a red ship (planes don't count), then it's possible to get a 0xp game even if you cap. 

[WOLF2]
Members
1,583 posts
10,128 battles

Yep.  Who knows?    Got insta-deleted last night.    I was moving towards my cap to start the match.    Hidden DD must have been pushing hard - I was spotted.   Priority target shows 2 instantly.    I turn, and catch rounds from two BBs.    Done in 1:30.    But the game ends and the final screen showed I was given experience.   I didn't spot anyone, and I didn't get rounds off.   The only thing I did was move, and then turn to avoid (or more so, run into) BB rounds.

[RLGN]
Members
12,231 posts
21,951 battles
17 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

The only thing I did was move, and then turn to avoid (or more so, run into) BB rounds.

lol

Points for 'potential damage' perhaps? :Smile_teethhappy:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
23,398 posts
12,937 battles

I think that you need to do damage to ships although potential damage might factor in. I got burned by this awhile back when my initial volley bounced and a Missouri vaporized my Saint-Louis. Unfortunately I see no way to stop a larger percentage of the leeches that doesn't occasionally snag someone that really tried.

[-SOL-]
Members
559 posts
3,614 battles

It seems like XP is only rewarded for damage. And it's only based on damage done. This will undoubtedly lead to better gameplay. I know I won't bother with objectives or teamwork when I only get credit for damage that I do myself. Don't bother shooting at cruisers when it's easier to hit a battleship and pad your numbers...

[PSV]
Privateers, Supertester
705 posts
5,612 battles
4 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Look at the details page, you should have credits listed there, even if the total is negative.

Not sure bout the zero xp; had that happen recently myself.

I thought zero xp was from never moving out of spawn? but maybe there’s some minimum distance traveled requirement?

You can get 0 xp if you get annihilated at the start of the game 

[PSV]
Privateers, Supertester
705 posts
5,612 battles
2 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

It seems like XP is only rewarded for damage. And it's only based on damage done. This will undoubtedly lead to better gameplay. I know I won't bother with objectives or teamwork when I only get credit for damage that I do myself. Don't bother shooting at cruisers when it's easier to hit a battleship and pad your numbers...

That's not correct at all. 

There's some kind of calculation that goes into base xp calculations that we don't know, but we do know that it involves percent HP dealt to enemy ship (not raw damage), spotting, capping, and a few other things that I'm probably forgetting. 
10k to a destroyer will get you much more xp than 10k to a battleship.

[-SOL-]
Members
559 posts
3,614 battles
1 minute ago, mrmariokartguy said:

That's not correct at all. 

There's some kind of calculation that goes into base xp calculations that we don't know, but we do know that it involves percent HP dealt to enemy ship (not raw damage), spotting, capping, and a few other things that I'm probably forgetting. 
10k to a destroyer will get you much more xp than 10k to a battleship.

And it's way easier to do 10% do a battleship than 10% to a destroyer. Good to know, though, this will lead to MUCH better gameplay.

Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

This was about a year ago and perhaps WG has changed this (along with so much else), but I received XP from a 0 damage game:

Spoiler

5a922f45aaeb4_Screenshot(143).thumb.png.17f820ec2c2af9c4e8448b899cbd4f38.png

That was a standard battle where I sailed down one side of the map, the red team completely ignored it, and just capped without even firing a shot, let alone hitting anything...unless the green-on-green bump affected it?  It's just fairly confusing to me as none of the other images in this thread actually show the amount of XP (not) received..?

[PSV]
Privateers, Supertester
705 posts
5,612 battles
1 hour ago, 44_percenter said:

And it's way easier to do 10% do a battleship than 10% to a destroyer. Good to know, though, this will lead to MUCH better gameplay.

???
10% to a DD isn't hard at all. That's pretty much a BB AP overpen or two.

[-SOL-]
Members
559 posts
3,614 battles
1 minute ago, mrmariokartguy said:

???
10% to a DD isn't hard at all. That's pretty much a BB AP overpen or two.

All you ever get is overpens on dd's. And that requires a hit in the first place, which isn't going to happen with them zigzagging, not being spotted by your team, and smoking once you get in range to actually land a shell. Whereas you will probably be able to land hits on bb's.

[PSV]
Privateers, Supertester
705 posts
5,612 battles
2 hours ago, 44_percenter said:

All you ever get is overpens on dd's. And that requires a hit in the first place, which isn't going to happen with them zigzagging, not being spotted by your team, and smoking once you get in range to actually land a shell. Whereas you will probably be able to land hits on bb's.

Overpens are big against DDs, and regular pens are devastating. It takes practice, but once you get it down hitting DDs shouldn't be too hard. 

[WOLF9]
Privateers
11,803 posts
4,594 battles
8 hours ago, DiddleDum said:

Got insta-deleted last night.

Same thing happened to me the other night.  Low-tier cruiser got deleted by a BB having fired like 3 shells, likely spotted nothing, no damage, no cap, yet got 200-some XP.  Surprised me.

Members
3,878 posts
20,869 battles
11 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

So I used my damage control immediately after being set on fire

You should avoid doing so. This may be a good read for you

[PVE]
Members
3,952 posts
22,262 battles

1st of all Thanx for all the replies...let me respond to a few...

23 hours ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

maybe there’s some minimum distance traveled requirement

23 hours ago, YamatoA150 said:

a bit of damage

19 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

damage to ships

19 hours ago, 44_percenter said:

for damage

I've had quite a few battles w/no ribbons at all ("you have not contributed in this battle") where I've received some pity XP before...Seeing as I was just short of 10km that seems like the most logical explanation (thinking 10km might be the magic #)...don't know why I didn't think of it before as I even included it in my post.

21 hours ago, h9k_a said:

if your team loses

You can get 0 XP in a winning game also...afk gets 0 XP win or lose.

12 hours ago, m373x said:
23 hours ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

So I used my damage control immediately after being set on fire

You should avoid doing so.

Thanx for the link but aware of it & I'm usually pretty good at not doing that...but...Scenario...Hotspot...west side...Atago was only ship firing at me & I cut west behind big island out of his (& every other red ships) range so figured I was safe. It was instantly after I used DC that a whole plane squad arrived literally almost right on top of me...due to close proximity to island & being committed to the turn (previously I was heading right towards the island to try & get some rounds off before their ships all ducked behind island so had to cut pretty sharp just to clear island...thus the "being committed to the turn") didn't have any time to maneuver.

23 hours ago, centarina said:

I've gotten cap and ended up with 0xp    basically its WG's idea of  punishing afk player. 

shot-18.01.17_18.54.59-0448.jpg

Saved you for last because there's a couple things I can't figure out...

1st...why (assuming requiring a whole minute just to cap for a whole 60 point) a Lexington (I could see a T4 or even a T5...but by T8?)would be in a cap 1 1/2 minutes into the battle (in order to be deleted w/in 2:39)...

& 2nd...why a Lexington has stats for main battery damage (even though you received 0...the stat is still there???)...I don't play CVs (other than some low tier Co-Op & a few T5 battles to complete the Science of Victory campaign) but I thought they only had 2ndaries & AA.

I did notice that you only traveled 9.93km though (just short of 10...missed it by that much)...thus enforcing my 10km minimum travel assumption...I do know that if you manage to get some damage (or at least a hit...even w/out damaging anything) that it cancels out the 0 XP even if you don't make the minimum distance.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,100 posts
15,420 battles

i shot down planes.  2.  I was in a DD  and    got hit by torps from tbd  that was manual dropped.  it happens.   

[WOLF9]
Privateers
11,803 posts
4,594 battles
58 minutes ago, IfYouSeeKhaos said:

1st...why (assuming requiring a whole minute just to cap for a whole 60 point) a Lexington (I could see a T4 or even a T5...but by T8?)would be in a cap 1 1/2 minutes into the battle (in order to be deleted w/in 2:39)...

& 2nd...why a Lexington has stats for main battery damage (even though you received 0...the stat is still there???)...I don't play CVs (other than some low tier Co-Op & a few T5 battles to complete the Science of Victory campaign) but I thought they only had 2ndaries & AA.

No no no.  The Lexington appears only because the two planes he shot down were her's.  The stats below it are for another ship entirely.