You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
db4100

My Suggestion For a "Honorable" Replacement Name for Capt Seagal

25 comments in this topic

[LWA]
Members
824 posts
12,103 battles

Capt John Doe is just lame and insulting to the United States Navy.  So many heros to choose from, and yet WG decided with "John Doe?"  

Here is my serious suggestion. Steven Seagal was put into the game as a captain to collaborate with the release of the USS Missouri (for some movie he did with the ship decades ago), and now he is being removed with the captain being renamed to John Doe.  How about WG complement the USS Arizona with the soon to be Capt John Doe, whom has great battleship skills, by renaming John Doe to Capt Isaac C. Kidd.  Capt Kidd was the last captain of the USS Arizona, and was on the bridge of the USS Arizona on 7 Dec 1941 when it exploded and sank.  His body was completely consumed by the ensuing fire.  For his gallant actions he was awarded the congressional medal of honor.  

It took me close to a year to get enough free XP to get the ship meant for Steven Seagal, the USS Missouri.  Until I got the Missouri, I ran the Capt Steven Seagal mostly in my USS Arizona and USS Alabama.  The unique captain skills of Steven Seagal is a perfect match for the USS Arizona.  I see no greater tribute to a USN battleship captain killed in action on the first day of the war to "live" again in a virtual world with the chance to command the USS Arizona in perpetual battles in the media that we call "World of Warships".   Captain Kidd can also get the chance to command the USS Missouri that was the setting for the ending of the war, which is also birthed not far from his tomb.  I am quite sure his family descendants will have no qualms with WG using his name and image for use in the game.

Isaac_C._Kidd.NH50176.thumb.jpg.77aed9548d10f2ef89a638fdcbc08d0c.jpg

Isaac Cambell Kidd (March 26, 1884 – December 7, 1941) was an American Rear Admiral in the United States Navy. Kidd was killed on the bridge of USS Arizona during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor. He was the father of Admiral Isaac C. Kidd, Jr. He was a posthumous recipient of his nation's highest military honor—the Medal of Honor. The highest ranking casualty at Pearl Harbor, he became the first U.S. Navy flag officer killed in action in World War II as well as the first killed in action against any foreign enemy. A Fletcher-class destroyer, Kidd (DD-661), was commissioned in his honor on April 23, 1943. The second ship named after him, Kidd (DDG-993), lead ship of four Kidd-class destroyers, was commissioned on March 27, 1981. An Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyer, Kidd (DDG-100), was the third ship named after him and was commissioned on June 9, 2007.[1]

Early years and military service[edit]

Kidd was born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1884. He entered the U.S. Naval Academy in 1902, graduating with the Class of 1906 in February of that year. He was commissioned an ensign in 1908. Kidd participated in the 1907–1909 Great White Fleet cruise around the world while serving on the battleship New Jersey. Following service on the battleship North Dakota and armored cruiser Pennsylvania, Kidd became the Aide and Flag Secretary to the Commander in Chief, Pacific Fleet, the first of his many flagstaff assignments. He was an instructor at the U.S. Naval Academy in 1916–1917.

During and after World War I, Kidd was stationed on New Mexico, and then he had further staff and Naval Academy service. He was the executive officer of the battleship Utah in 1925–1926, then commanded Vega until becoming the Captain of the Port at Cristóbal, Panama Canal Zone from 1927 to 1930. Promoted to the rank of captain, he was the Chief of Staff to the Commander, Base Force, United States Fleet in 1930–1932. After three years at the Bureau of Navigation in Washington, D.C., he was the Commander of Destroyer Squadron One, Scouting Force, in 1935–1936.

During the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, Rear Admiral Kidd was the Commander of Battleship Division One and the Chief of Staff and Aide to the Commander, Battleship Battle Force. At his first knowledge of the attack, he rushed to the bridge of USS Arizona, his flagship, and "courageously discharged his duties as Senior Officer Present Afloat until Arizona blew up from a magazine explosion and a direct bomb hit on the bridge which resulted in the loss of his life."[2]

Admiral Kidd's body was never recovered and to this day he is considered missing in action. U.S. Navy salvage divers located his Naval Academy ring fused to a bulkhead on Arizona's bridge.[3] A trunk containing his personal memorabilia was found in the wreck and sent to his widow.[4] Rediscovered in the attic by his children, both the trunk and its contents are now displayed in the museum at the USS Arizona Memorial.

Awards and decorations[edit]

Admiral Kidd posthumously received the Medal of Honor and the Purple Heart. His other awards include the Army of Cuban Pacification Medal, Mexican Service Medal, World War I Victory Medal with Atlantic Fleet Clasp, American Defense Service Medal with Fleet Clasp, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with one bronze battle star for Pearl Harbor (posthumous), and the World War II Victory Medal (posthumous).

A light blue ribbon with five white five pointed stars 106px-Purple_Heart_ribbon.svg.png
106px-Combat_Action_Ribbon.svg.png 106px-Army_of_Cuban_Pacification_service 106px-Mexican_Service_Medal_ribbon.svg.p
Bronze star
106px-World_War_I_Victory_Medal_ribbon.s
Bronze star
106px-American_Defense_Service_Medal_rib
Bronze star
106px-Asiatic-Pacific_Campaign_Medal_rib
106px-World_War_II_Victory_Medal_ribbon. 106px-U.S._Navy_Rifle_Marksmanship_Ribbo 106px-U.S._Navy_Pistol_Marksmanship_Ribb
Medal of Honor Purple Heart
Navy Combat Action Ribbon Cuban Pacification Medal Mexican Service Medal
World War I Victory Medal
with Atlantic Fleet Clasp
American Defense Service Medal
with Fleet Clasp
Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal
with star
World War II Victory Medal Navy Rifle Marksmanship Ribbon Navy Pistol Marksmanship Ribbon

Medal of Honor citation[edit]

"For conspicuous devotion to duty, extraordinary courage, and complete disregard of his own life, during the attack on the Fleet in Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii, by Japanese Forces on December 7, 1941. He immediately went to the bridge and as Commander Battleship Division ONE, courageously discharged his duties as Senior Officer Present Afloat until the USS Arizona, his Flagship, blew up from magazine explosions and a direct bomb hit on the bridge, which resulted in the loss of his life."

Edited by db4100
  • Cool 3

[WOLF5]
Members
3,004 posts
3,304 battles

I'll vote for pretty much anyone not John Doe.

• Cool 1

[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
7 minutes ago, db4100 said:

Capt John Doe is just lame and insulting to the United States Navy.  So many heros to choose from, and yet WG decided with "John Doe?"  

Here is my serious suggestion. Steven Seagal was put into the game as a captain to collaborate with the release of the USS Missouri (for some movie he did with the ship decades ago), and now he is being removed.  How about WG collaborate this John Doe captain, whom has great battleship skills, to another premium battleship, the USS Arizona?  Capt Isaac C. Kidd was on the bridge of the USS Arizona on 7 Dec 1941 when it exploded and sank.  His body was completely consumed by the ensuing fire.  For his gallant actions he was awarded the congressional medal of honor.  

It took me almost a year to get enough free XP to get the USS Missouri, and until then I ran the Capt Steven Seagal mostly in my USS Arizona and USS Alabama.  I see no greater tribute to a USN battleship captain than to let the man whom perished on the first day of the war to "live" again in a virtual world with the chance to command the USS Arizona in perpetual battles in the media that we call "World of Warships".   Captain Kidd can also get the chance to command the USS Missouri that was the setting for the ending of the war, which is also birthed not far from his tomb.  

Isaac_C._Kidd.NH50176.thumb.jpg.77aed9548d10f2ef89a638fdcbc08d0c.jpg

I would say this is most commendable and would honor him beyond the grave. To bring Two naval adversaries{Kidd & Yamamoto} into final combat.

I vote for this Honorable Admiral Kidd.

[LWA]
Members
824 posts
12,103 battles

WG did bring the USS Kidd into the game, which was name after Capt Kidd.

Members
1,483 posts
6,752 battles
11 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

I would say this is most commendable and would honor him beyond the grave. To bring Two naval adversaries{Kidd & Yamamoto} into final combat.

I vote for this Honorable Admiral Kidd.

Count me in as well.

[PLDN]
Supertester
2,102 posts
5,890 battles

Anything that doesn't mean "unidentified dead person" is good with me.

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
830 posts
7,845 battles
24 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I still vote for Kirk.

0a35482cbad51f45df372b031543bcae.jpg

Nope , Kirk should've died from Romulan AIDS or Klingon Crotchrot , Jean Luc anyday over Kirk . :etc_red_button:

Edited by retic1959

Members
4,156 posts
15,654 battles
9 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

Nope , Kirk should've died from Romulan AIDS or Klingon Crotchrot , Jean Luc anyday over Kirk . :etc_red_button:

Picard's a wuss!

Why James T. Kirk is better than Picard;

5a91de7a372c7_(KGrHqNHJB8FC2(EZ6OdBQwuCFo2w60_12.jpg.1553050769b08b0ffa624be78d682646.jpg

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
2,492 posts
9,851 battles
12 minutes ago, retic1959 said:

A bald headed French wannabe over James T Kirk never . There's only one caption of the Enterprise and it ain't Jean luc  Piccard . 

Edited by clammboy
LEFT OUT A WORD

[U571]
Members
2,067 posts
14,014 battles

How about William M Callaghan - the first captain of the Missouri as the replacement name for Mr Segal.

[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,584 posts
15,005 battles

Captain Philip Francis Queeg is probably available - with a photo of Humprhey Bogart - it's a slam dunk for WG.

[MIA-I]
Volunteer Moderator Coordinator
1,287 posts
13,341 battles

Willis Lee, Arleigh Burke, Frank Fletcher, Raymond Spruance. There are lots of great options. 

Beta Testers
2,317 posts
4,693 battles

How about another Cook but this one being an actual hero.

Doris "Dorie" Miller (October 12, 1919 – November 24, 1943) was a Cook Third Class[1]that the United States Navy noted for his bravery during the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941. He was the first African American to be awarded the Navy Cross and the Navy Distinguished Service Medal.

Nearly two years after Pearl Harbor, he was killed in action when Liscome Bay was sunk by a Japanese submarine during the Battle of Makin.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doris_Miller

[HINON]
Members
3,996 posts
4,484 battles

Or, what about the actual captain of USS Missouri, William McCombe Callaghan.

He served for 40 years and fought in three wars, and lived to be almost 100.

[LWA]
Members
824 posts
12,103 battles
31 minutes ago, admiral_noone said:

Well the whole John Doe thing tells us that WG hastily cut ties due to surfacing allegations against Seagal. 

Ah yeah, that's right.  Accusations that he is a sexual predator.  

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,930 battles
On 2/24/2018 at 4:04 PM, db4100 said:

Has anybody thought that this was just a temporary placeholder? After all that is what "John Doe" is used for in real life. Honestly people are taking this whole thing WAY to seriously.

[STA_]
Members
309 posts
2,298 battles
21 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

Has anybody thought that this was just a temporary placeholder? After all that is what "John Doe" is used for in real life. Honestly people are taking this whole thing WAY to seriously.

That they couldn't come up with a name fast enough and so just "John Doe" gives one an idea of how WG cut Seagal off (ie they weren't expecting this and had to change their plans)

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,930 battles
1 hour ago, admiral_noone said:

That they couldn't come up with a name fast enough and so just "John Doe" gives one an idea of how WG cut Seagal off (ie they weren't expecting this and had to change their plans)

That is my point, this is probably just a placeholder so Wargaming can cut ties quickly, likely we will get a better name in the future, as I said people are taking this way to seriously.