Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Captain_Futher_Mucker

Is there a shooting range?

16 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
268 battles

I can't shoot for crap.

Is there a way to have target practice with targets of different types moving at set angles?

I don't want to worry about anything but learning where to shoot.

It is a fairly important skill and learning on the fly isn't working.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,140 posts
19,957 battles

Actually a real shooting range might be fun. Ships dragging targets, planes doing the same. But yeah like Kingfisher said, use the training room if you can get into one and you should be good. 

Members
6 posts
268 battles
2 minutes ago, Kingfishercritic said:

Yup. Just go to battle types and hit training room. You can set bots up as targets.

They are stationary I thought.

Can you set them to travel at an angle? That is my biggest problem. I have no earthly idea where to shoot.With the other ships  I had a high enough rate of fire I could figure it out on the fly. With the Pensacola and BBs it is all or nothing and I more often than not end up with nothing.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,886 posts
2,647 battles
4 minutes ago, Kingfishercritic said:

Yup. Just go to battle types and hit training room. You can set bots up as targets.

Training room bots no longer move :(

OP, CO-OP is probably your best bet. It's not quite as good as the old training rooms used to be, but it's better than Randoms.

• Cool 1

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles

What ship are you playing? Perhaps pick a ship that is better suited for close range fire. 

I found it difficult to hit targets in Coop, because they make different choices then most humans.

Members
6 posts
268 battles

I am on the Pensacola and I have a French BB I am leveling for the upcoming campaign.

The Pensa I can hit at mid to close range (For as long as I last) fairly well. Long range is pointless for me.Randoms were not kind so I am grinding the weekly mission instead.

The French BB I overshoot at all ranges.I will aim waterline and the shots all fall behind the target.BBs at long range Clevelands at 8km and 10km all landed behind them.I am either very bad (a distinct possibility)or the aim point is merely a suggestion.

I can understand why there isn't a dedicated shooting range, no way to monetize it, but it would be useful.

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles

You got the Normandie, right? Perhaps someone else can tell something about the spread of that ship.

I think you don’t have to worry too much when you can hit targets just fine with the Pensacola. Also keep in mind that that ship has some really decent spread. Low tier BBs mostly have an awful spread.

I would say keep on playing PvP and you ll be just fine :)

Members
6 posts
268 battles
41 minutes ago, joris92 said:

You got the Normandie, right? Perhaps someone else can tell something about the spread of that ship.

I think you don’t have to worry too much when you can hit targets just fine with the Pensacola. Also keep in mind that that ship has some really decent spread. Low tier BBs mostly have an awful spread.

I would say keep on playing PvP and you ll be just fine :)

I'll stick to lower tiers and weekly scenarios for now.

Not a fan of being canon fodder while trying to learn.

• Cool 1

-Members-
1,542 posts
26 battles

I think it would be great to have a few different training rooms. I have had great success with them in other games previously. I use the one in Overwatch every time I try out a new character

• Cool 1

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

You may benefit from reviewing:

Introduction to Aiming  by Red_Raven_168

Gunnery Basics

Turret Focus

Weapon Bearing (Shift-X) (Ctrl-X) (X)

The can all be found in the New Player Guides forum.

There are a couple of things which may be useful to remember if you are coming over from a First Person Shooter game.

Leading the target is much more important in Ships than in an FPS game. Gunnery in ships is more like using a shotgun loaded with bird shot to shoot ducks, than it is like using a rifle to shoot deer. If you have your cross hair on a moving ship you will probably miss. The shells take a long time to arrive unless you find yourself in a knife fight. Don't get into a knife fight.

Once you lock a target the system will keep the gun focused on your delivery point until you adjust the aim with the mouse.  Unless your enemy is using the WASD Hack all you need to do is correct your aim point for the proper lead. It does not matter how much you speed up, slow down, or turn, the guns will maintain your lock unless you make wild moves with your mouse. A predictable enemy is an easy kill. Use the WASD hack.

As far as angled ships go, with the new training room the ships are stationary, but you aren't. you can move to any angle you like.  But stationary ships will not prepare you for the game.  The CoOp battles are a better training ground. But fighting bots will not prepare you for fighting players.  What CoOp will do is let you get used to your ships. i.e. speed, turning radius, rate of fire, etc.

Have fun.

Members
6 posts
268 battles
1 hour ago, Quaffer said:

You may benefit from reviewing:

Introduction to Aiming  by Red_Raven_168

Gunnery Basics

Turret Focus

Weapon Bearing (Shift-X) (Ctrl-X) (X)

The can all be found in the New Player Guides forum.

There are a couple of things which may be useful to remember if you are coming over from a First Person Shooter game.

Leading the target is much more important in Ships than in an FPS game. Gunnery in ships is more like using a shotgun loaded with bird shot to shoot ducks, than it is like using a rifle to shoot deer. If you have your cross hair on a moving ship you will probably miss. The shells take a long time to arrive unless you find yourself in a knife fight. Don't get into a knife fight.

Once you lock a target the system will keep the gun focused on your delivery point until you adjust the aim with the mouse.  Unless your enemy is using the WASD Hack all you need to do is correct your aim point for the proper lead. It does not matter how much you speed up, slow down, or turn, the guns will maintain your lock unless you make wild moves with your mouse. A predictable enemy is an easy kill. Use the WASD hack.

As far as angled ships go, with the new training room the ships are stationary, but you aren't. you can move to any angle you like.  But stationary ships will not prepare you for the game.  The CoOp battles are a better training ground. But fighting bots will not prepare you for fighting players.  What CoOp will do is let you get used to your ships. i.e. speed, turning radius, rate of fire, etc.

Have fun.

I have read them.

What I need is a place to put them in practical application without waiting for the ship to get into the angle I am having trouble with in co op and then wondering did I miss because of bad aim,dispersion.or the bot used a WASD hack.

Random is a non starter for learning unless you are a masochist.

I just want to git gud and the lack of tools to do so  is getting frustrating.

Are there any mods that are

A Legal

and

B Have ships that move that I can learn on?

Members
109 posts
4,288 battles

I would suggest sticking with Co-Op until you feel confident enough to graduate to Random. WoWS was actually the first online video game I'd ever played, and I had absolutely NO idea what I was doing at first.  I played a LOT of Co-Op to familiarize myself with the ships, game mechanics, shooting techniques etc before I felt comfortable trying Randoms, and it paid off over time. Yes, Co-Op bots react differently than PvP players do, but learning the basics against them should give you enough practice to make the transition to Random easier once you feel more confident in your abilities. The game is a constant learning experience, so don't get frustrated if it all doesn't click at first. It will eventually.

And I agree, not having moving bots available in Training Room is dumb. Really, WG? :fish_palm:

[VW]
Members
2,394 posts
14,143 battles

You can go to training room and while the bots no longer move, you can move around them thus experimenting with the effect of angle on damage

Members
107 posts
4,075 battles

This probably isn't very helpful, but the way that I was able to get better was by playing random battles. Trial and error and all that jazz.

Sign in to follow this