Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
KalishniKat

Selecting Ship Names in Class

54 comments in this topic

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,535 battles

It would be really cool if WG had a system (even if we had to pay for it) where we could rename the ships in the tech tree. For example, you could choose to rename Cleveland the USS Houston or USS Denver. New Mexico could become Mississippi or Idaho, Kongo Kirishima and so on. Could be lucrative for WG while allowing players a degree of customization and allowing us the "represent" the ships we like. Also a slight advantage for those of us historically minded where in game some on the other team may have no idea what kind of ship a Denver is for example. Just have a select list of names we could choose from and charge say 500 doubloons for the name change. 

Edited by KalishniKat
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
Members
4,549 posts
11,437 battles

I think there are mods that allow you to rename ships to whatever you want.

[JASH]
Beta Testers
52 posts
6,819 battles
20 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

Also a slight advantage for those of us historically minded where in game some on the other team may have no idea what kind of ship a Denver is for example.

Thats the reason WG wont do this

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,535 battles

3 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

One USS Miami, please.

Think of all the new ships we could have without WG having to develop each one....it would truly be "fun and engaging. Here's a pic of Miami

USS_Miami_(CL-89)_underway_at_sea,_circa_early_1944_(NH_98403).jpg

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,535 battles

A few doubloon to make my Leander Ajax or Achillies. Take my money. Turn my Clemson into Pope or Edsall to honor Java Sea...i'd pay for that. 

[HINON]
Members
9,055 posts

It would work if the alternate name only showed client side for the player. 

• Cool 2

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,535 battles
11 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

It would work if the alternate name only showed client side for the player. 

Why?....we shouldn't cater to the historically ignorant. 

[NMKJT]
Members
2,738 posts
22 minutes ago, Kittens_On_Board said:

Thats the reason WG wont do this

It would make things too complicated. Agree with WG on this one. 

You could make it configurable to display or not, or you could add a line to the minimap description

Suzukaze

Shiratsuyu Class

(HP bar etc.)

That might work

[HINON]
Members
9,055 posts
2 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

That's quite an elitist statement. Most players don't know the names of many sister ships. For instance, could you name all 175 Fletcher class destroyers off the top of your head? This doesn't add value for the typical player. As I said before I would enjoy the option for my own UI but no need to confuse other players.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 1

[NMKJT]
Members
2,738 posts
2 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

Yes we should. There are thousands of ships in a hundred class, to expect players to learn those so they can say of a Denver has radar or not is too big an ask. Most players are casual and won't put in the effort, and the result is the player base will shrink when they keep losing because of it.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,139 posts
17,811 battles
18 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

Horse feathers.  It's completely ridiculous to think that people would know the names of  each and every ship in a large class like the Fletcher class DD.  Heck, I'm fairly well informed on this stuff, and even I couldn't tell you the names of every BB in every class of USN BB in the 20th century.  I have better thing to do with my naval history hobby time than focus on remembering which states were in which class of BB.  :Smile-angry:

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,535 battles
12 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

Yes we should. There are thousands of ships in a hundred class, to expect players to learn those so they can say of a Denver has radar or not is too big an ask. Most players are casual and won't put in the effort, and the result is the player base will shrink when they keep losing because of it.

Player base will grow as more people get the ships they want. Denver will have no different capabilities than Cleveland. If players can somehow figure out the imagined capabilities of paper ships they should be able to handle ship classes. 

[SALVO]
Members
17,139 posts
17,811 battles
17 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

That's quite an elitist statement. Most players don't know the names of many sister ships. For instance, could you name all 175 Fletcher class destroyers off the top of your head? This doesn't add value for the typical player. As I said before I would enjoy the option for my own UI but no need to confuse other players.

16 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

Rip, it's beyond elitist.  It's completely stupid.  Only a person whose spent hours on such a trivial thing as ship names would bother remembering all the names for all the ships in all the ship classes.  And there's only one thing to say about  such a person.  Get a  freaking LIFE!!!!

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,535 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Horse feathers.  It's completely ridiculous to think that people would know the names of  each and every ship in a large class like the Fletcher class DD.  Heck, I'm fairly well informed on this stuff, and even I couldn't tell you the names of every BB in every class of USN BB in the 20th century.  I have better thing to do with my naval history hobby time than focus on remembering which states were in which class of BB.  :Smile-angry:

If they see a T6 USN battleship then they know its a New Mexico class...not rocket science here. So players could somehow decipher that all the ARP ships were the same class yet are too stupid to figure out the other ships of a class?

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,535 battles
Just now, Crucis said:

Rip, it's beyond elitist.  It's completely stupid.  Only a person whose spent hours on such a trivial thing as ship names would bother remembering all the names for all the ships in all the ship classes.  And there's only one thing to say about  such a person.  Get a  freaking LIFE!!!!

Oh for Gods sake..you don't have to learn every ship of every class....T6 USN BB, New Mexico class whether its NM Idaho or Mississippi. T5 IJN BB..all Kongo class whether its Kongo, Haruna. Kirishima or Hiei. Those of us who care can name our ships..the rest of you won't have to strain your tiny brains trying to remember anything.

• Bad 2

Members
1,788 posts
5,665 battles

Ship names are hard coded for tracking and statistical purposes, and for validation and researching long term status.. You can do it on the client side but not in the server. 

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,429 battles
1 hour ago, slokill_1 said:

I want to name all ships after me, myself, and I.

What about Irene? You forgot her.

[PSP]
Members
1,332 posts
7,535 battles

Suggest something to enhance the historical aspect of the game..get slammed. Suggest more anime and everyone love you. 

• Boring 1

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,429 battles

If the new name of the ship would show where the other players could see it would be nice. I don't see WG being able to do it though. I'm for it if possible.

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,332 posts
6,609 battles
54 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

"Look at that Isokaze over there!"

"Dafuq? This is a T10 game!"

[CVA16]
Members
2,751 posts
6,429 battles
4 minutes ago, KalishniKat said:

Suggest more anime and everyone love you. 

Not true there Kat, I'll take the ship names over anime all day.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,193 posts
11,707 battles

There's no reason why they couldn't add a check box for people to select to show "class names only".  Everyone can win.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this