Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

2 different Lyon BB turret layouts?

4 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
11,015 posts
12,551 battles

Looked up the French BB Lyon on Google  while getting general overview on what the French Navy had in WWI and WWI, and found these design drawing that shows the middle turret actually should be in bow in with the other forward turret. The other design is what Wargaming used in game. Was hoping somebody that had in depth knowledge of French Navy at the time might be able to clear this up? ( I mainly have studied USN, Kriegsmarine, IJN, Royal Navy, and only done general overview of some of the other navies at the time so figured I had better ask about French lol)

I know it says Tourville, but it is one the Lyon BBs they had planned.

IMG_0693.PNG.09506924d8f917bc32aed4aa4360df8a.PNG

Rest of the designs I found so far look like this though

IMG_0717.thumb.PNG.635ca5e952aedea862d1f1f6631817ae.PNG

So were they 2 design versions or was the original looking drawing the early idea and they simply went with the current in game version for finalized version that got cancelled due to war? Also the Secondaries in these seem different as well.

[RUST]
Alpha Tester
884 posts
3,403 battles

Both are correct, the design was never finalized.

They never even finished building the preceding Normandie-class before WW1 broke out, let alone decided what form Normandie's successor would take.

They never laid down the keel of a single Lyon.

Less than 10 minutes on Goolge would have told you all this.

[RKLES]
Members
11,015 posts
12,551 battles

Ok thanks, guess it makes sense for Wargaming to do the current in game version since having a ship with 8 guns able to fire forward, 8 able to fire rear and 16 gun broadside could have been a little too over powered.

Current version only allows 8 guns to be used if you are running away, 4 guns if your bow on, or having to show sides to bring the 16 guns to bear.

[SALVO]
Members
23,388 posts
24,003 battles
44 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Ok thanks, guess it makes sense for Wargaming to do the current in game version since having a ship with 8 guns able to fire forward, 8 able to fire rear and 16 gun broadside could have been a little too over powered.

Current version only allows 8 guns to be used if you are running away, 4 guns if your bow on, or having to show sides to bring the 16 guns to bear.

Not sure if the decision was on the basis of it being overpowered, or they just wanted to have the Lyon look "different".  I'm tempted to think that they chose the making it look different reason.

Sign in to follow this