You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Tank_Buster_

Which Line of Bbs should i go after UK or french?

26 comments in this topic

[-TNT-]
Members
672 posts
8,729 battles

really up to you. I have two 19 point captains on the french side. I can say the tiers 5-9 are solid battleships.  The "France" I believe to be a freaking Joke due to it's turret placement.  You cannot brawl with the damn thing. fyi I totally owned the Gascogne on the PTS against my Richelieu.  Another POS premium ship WG screwed up.  As former President Clinton once said, "It's the economy Stupid".   Well it's the "turret placement stupid". I have a thread on this and video that shows the France being owed by the Roma, tier 8 premium BB.  

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
8,869 posts
10,828 battles

What other ship lines do you have / the ones you like?

I fairly recently took up using British BBs and have been enjoying them, some say you just have to Siam HE shells in them, but have been finding the AP can do well a lot of the time. And the history behind the Royal Navy BBs tier VII and below makes then special to use as well if you love history.

French BBs are still quite new to the game and think still possible for them to be buffed or Nerfed by the time update and their official release comes, but the tier 7 and 8 in the line seem good enough from what I have seen so far. 

The tiers 3-6 and 9-10 is still up for debate / some what unclear at moment.

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
[KRAK]
Members
981 posts
11,663 battles

I have been the British line to KGV and USN to IOWA,  but love the T8 Bismarck on the PTS server. It is better than British or French T8s in my opinion.

Alpha Tester
363 posts
4,893 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I fairly recently took up using British BBs and have been enjoying them, some say you just have to Siam HE shells in them, but have been finding the AP can do well a lot of the time. And the history behind the Royal Navy BBs tier VII and below makes then special to use as well if you love history.

French BBs are still quite new to the game and think still possible for them to be buffed or Nerfed by the time update and their official release comes, but the tier 7 and 8 in the line seem good enough from what I have seen so far. 

well i started the UK i have the Iron Duke its a little sluggish but for a T5 cant expect much, i want to go UK but i keep hearing another Nerf coming i own the Yamato, the Kurfurst & Montana, out of those i enjoy the Kurfurst the most. 

Alpha Tester
363 posts
4,893 battles
3 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

thank you for your input.

[RKLES]
Members
8,869 posts
10,828 battles
5 minutes ago, Ericson38 said:

I have been the British line to KGV and USN to IOWA,  but love the T8 Bismarck on the PTS server. It is better than British or French T8s in my opinion.

Yeah that is why the British became obsessed with sinking Bismarck and Tirpitz was because they were so powerful. Scharnhorst and Gneisenau were good as well. All of these historic ships seem to keep a lot of their power in game more or less which is a lot of fun.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
363 posts
4,893 battles
7 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Why not work on both?

to much time consuming for me, work and life dont let me play as much as i would like :etc_swear:

[RKLES]
Members
8,869 posts
10,828 battles
31 minutes ago, Tank_Buster_ said:

to much time consuming for me, work and life dont let me play as much as i would like :etc_swear:

In that case try to get the French Event missions completed since if you can win 1 or 2 of the French BBs it can be massive time savings for you later and leaves option open to get the other French BBs if you desire. Or frees up the time for you to use the grind time on the British BBs.

The French Missions you really want done are those large 3 stage multi task over stage missions. They give 3 crates per stage with an additional 4 crates as a reward. Those missions also have unlocked / added a personal XP mission that is for a French BB each time you do it. And that final BB mission is usually something like get 12k base XP.

At 1st that big French mission thing looks hard like get 1,000 main battery hits for example can be completed easily with cruises like Cleveland or Konigsberg or Nurnberg or even a DD like Nicholas.

Hope this might be helpful for you since I thought those French Missions would be harder than they turned out to be. :Smile_smile:

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

Alpha Tester
363 posts
4,893 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

In that case try to get the French Event missions completed since if you can win 1 or 2 of the French BBs it can be massive time savings for you later and leaves option open to get the other French BBs if you desire. Or frees up the time for you to use the grind time on the British BBs.

The French Missions you really want done are those large 3 stage multi task over stage missions. They give 3 crates per stage with an additional 4 crates as a reward. Those missions also have unlocked / added a personal XP mission that is for a French BB each time you do it. And that final BB mission is usually something like get 12k base XP.

At 1st that big French misdionnthingblooks hatd like get 1,000 main battery hits for example can be completed easily with cruises like Cleveland or Konigsberg or Nurnberg or even a DD like Nicholas.

Hope this might be helpful for you since I thought those French Missions would be harder than they turned out to be. :Smile_smile:

thank u so much i shall do that starting now.

[-TNT-]
Members
672 posts
8,729 battles
1 hour ago, Tank_Buster_ said:

So Kestrel_Falcon u say French?

I'm for french.  Something about playing the Conqueror mindlessly spamming HE and uber heals and never getting citadel when exposing your broadside turns me off.  I enjoy playing all French BBs tiers 5-9 so far.  The only beef I have are with battleships Gascogne and France (a.k.a Republic) due to their main turret placement.  

Alpha Tester
363 posts
4,893 battles
5 minutes ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

I'm for french.  Something about playing the Conqueror mindlessly spamming HE and uber heals and never getting citadel when exposing your broadside turns me off.  I enjoy playing all French BBs tiers 5-9 so far.  The only beef I have are with battleships Gascogne and France (a.k.a Republic) due to their main turret placement.  

5 minutes ago, Kestrel_Falcon said:

i hear you , you made a reference about that above, thanks kindly 

[SPTR]
Members
2,186 posts
1,022 battles

German BB's are nearly idiot proof with the possible exception of Gneisenau. I really like them, but that's just me. Inaccurate AF, but secondaries FTW.

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

UK, I think is the best overall line from bottom to top. German is good too but it slacks off near the top and there isn't a single ship in the line that's straight up OP like the Orion is. France is the worst of the three, it's got some nice ships especially near the end in regards to the reviews but overall it's lacking. Keep in mind these are the three lines I prefer out of the five and the only lines I have BB's for, I do not think I'm overly biased against any of them. QE and Monarch IMO are two weak spots in the UK line and the Iron Duke is a copy of the Orion but otherwise the ships are just great and then there's the OP premiums which are also great. 

Go with the UK and use the free French crates to try to get some French BB's in which case if you want you'll already be at T6, T7 or even T8 if you want to climb that line again. 

I'm strongly voting UK, though I prefer the European lines to US and Japan as a whole. I started German but I didn't have the option to start with the UK or French line because they are both relatively new. UK line just came out in the fall. The French line seems fun but I do think it is considerably weaker overall than the other two and you should be debating UK and Germany if anything. I'm starting the French line because I have achieved most of my German and UK goals and the ships are fun but from my experience in the T5, T6 and T7, the French BB's are third out of the three in all the tiers except T5, where Bretagne arguably would be second over Iron Duke. The ships seem to be able to punch really well but are also pretty poorly armored and slow for their tiers. You can also pick up a French BB that's better than IMO anything before T8 for twenty bucks in the premium store. 

So yeah strong endorsement of the UK here. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
363 posts
4,893 battles
2 hours ago, Aristotle83 said:

UK, I think is the best overall line from bottom to top. German is good too but it slacks off near the top and there isn't a single ship in the line that's straight up OP like the Orion is. France is the worst of the three, it's got some nice ships especially near the end in regards to the reviews but overall it's lacking. Keep in mind these are the three lines I prefer out of the five and the only lines I have BB's for, I do not think I'm overly biased against any of them. QE and Monarch IMO are two weak spots in the UK line and the Iron Duke is a copy of the Orion but otherwise the ships are just great and then there's the OP premiums which are also great. 

Go with the UK and use the free French crates to try to get some French BB's in which case if you want you'll already be at T6, T7 or even T8 if you want to climb that line again. 

I'm strongly voting UK, though I prefer the European lines to US and Japan as a whole. I started German but I didn't have the option to start with the UK or French line because they are both relatively new. UK line just came out in the fall. The French line seems fun but I do think it is considerably weaker overall than the other two and you should be debating UK and Germany if anything. I'm starting the French line because I have achieved most of my German and UK goals and the ships are fun but from my experience in the T5, T6 and T7, the French BB's are third out of the three in all the tiers except T5, where Bretagne arguably would be second over Iron Duke. The ships seem to be able to punch really well but are also pretty poorly armored and slow for their tiers. You can also pick up a French BB that's better than IMO anything before T8 for twenty bucks in the premium store. 

So yeah strong endorsement of the UK here. 

thanks mate for the input, ive decided to go UK about get the queen but ill skip her quickly trying  2 get to get the Monarch before the end of the weekend. 

[AXANR]
Members
3,380 posts
17,460 battles

UK BBs are a lot of fun. They are good mid-range fighters with very good HE and underrated AP. People whine about them being OP but they are more balanced than people credit them for when you look at the stats. 

The tier 3, 4, 7, 9, and 10 UK BBs are all very strong for their tier imo, with the 4, 7, and 10 arguably the best BBs at their tier (obviously different playstyles may get more out of different ships.) The tier 5 and 6 are good, the tier 8 is garbage. But 5 excellent and 2 good ships out of an 8 ship line is better than most lines. 

You're not going to get as much feedback on French BBs yet as most people haven't played them much. They haven't been released, so people have only played on the test server (which has a different meta than the NA server as it mixes all four regular server player populations) or in some cases the tier 5-8 BBs that you can win with the French missions (I only got Bretagne out of them, but some people got Normandie, Lyon, or Richelieu.) I have only played Bretagne and Alsace, which were very different ships but both good in their own way; Bretagne is slow and clumsy but has excellent main guns and decent t5 secondaries; Alsace is fast and has very good main guns (although not as strong relative to her tier as the Bretagne's) and excellent secondaries. Both have low HP pools for their tier and less powerful heals than UK BBs, but their armor schemes seem tough when angled right. 

• Cool 1

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
On 2/25/2018 at 4:37 AM, poeticmotion said:

UK BBs are a lot of fun. They are good mid-range fighters with very good HE and underrated AP. People whine about them being OP but they are more balanced than people credit them for when you look at the stats. 

The tier 3, 4, 7, 9, and 10 UK BBs are all very strong for their tier imo, with the 4, 7, and 10 arguably the best BBs at their tier (obviously different playstyles may get more out of different ships.) The tier 5 and 6 are good, the tier 8 is garbage. But 5 excellent and 2 good ships out of an 8 ship line is better than most lines. 

You're not going to get as much feedback on French BBs yet as most people haven't played them much. They haven't been released, so people have only played on the test server (which has a different meta than the NA server as it mixes all four regular server player populations) or in some cases the tier 5-8 BBs that you can win with the French missions (I only got Bretagne out of them, but some people got Normandie, Lyon, or Richelieu.) I have only played Bretagne and Alsace, which were very different ships but both good in their own way; Bretagne is slow and clumsy but has excellent main guns and decent t5 secondaries; Alsace is fast and has very good main guns (although not as strong relative to her tier as the Bretagne's) and excellent secondaries. Both have low HP pools for their tier and less powerful heals than UK BBs, but their armor schemes seem tough when angled right. 

I terms of the Alsace I've heard it's OP but there's 4 ships that are already OP at T9. How does Alsace stack up to Iowa/Missouri, Lion and Mushashi? Seeingas you've played it I wanted to ask your opinions. In terms of Normandie and Lyon, both are faster than Bretagne though Normandie's the fastest. Normandie's main guns are better than Lyon's for the tier IMO but Lyon has more of them. I also find the Normandie and Lyon to both be very bad at taking damage especially Normandie, worse than Bretagne because Bretagne doesn't have to face the same MM and doesn't have much lower of an HP pool. 

Edited by Aristotle83

[PVE]
Members
7,865 posts
13,749 battles
On 2/24/2018 at 12:51 PM, Tank_Buster_ said:

well i started the UK i have the Iron Duke its a little sluggish but for a T5 cant expect much, i want to go UK but i keep hearing another Nerf coming i own the Yamato, the Kurfurst & Montana, out of those i enjoy the Kurfurst the most. 

I finished the USN/IJN/GK lines as well. All those lines have some really good ships with a stinker or 2 but overall are good. I am to Monarch in the BRN line and I managed to get all 4 of the French BB's in the mission so am up to Richelieu.

Of all the lines the BRN BB's are my least favorite. Really have only liked one so far and that is KGV. Iron Duke was ok too but felt no sense of loss selling it as soon as I could move on. Queen Elizabeth is just flat out terrible. Would rather King Kong give me a prostate exam than ever play it again. Monarch is horrendously bad too. I should just drop the line as I dislike it so much but am stubborn and want to see it through to the end and Conqueror just to do it. To this point KGV is the only one I have liked enough to keep.

The French line, at least the 4 I have played, seem much better than the BRN. They are sort of a hybrid of the USN and KM BB's. I kind of like them so far. The big draw back with them is they are always under gunned (calber). But even with that they still do pretty good for me and Lyon with the 16 340MM's is just a flat out blast to pay. Although it is "ok", I really don't care for Richelieu because it is an all guns forward ship and that has zero appeal for me. Not only that but it is about as accurate as a blind drunk guy playing darts. I am really looking forward to the T9 and even the T10 despite the low gun count and awkward turret placement.

It's funny how I couldn't wait for the BRN BB's to come out and how I was 100% ambivalent to the French ones. Now that I have played ships in both I could care less about the BRN ones now and actually like the French. :Smile_facepalm::Smile_teethhappy:

It is up to you but IMO the French line seems to be far superior.

• Funny 1

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles

OP here's some stats to help you choose. The French stats are bound to be inflated due to the low amount of players but decided to put them anyway. I'm rounding btw. 

According to WOWS numbers.

T3-Bellerophon is first in average damage amongst tech tree ships but is in a virtual tie with Nassau both doing about 31k. Konig Albert the tiers only premium beats her with about 37k.

Third in win rate(52%)behind Nassau(54%) and Konig Albert(58%)

T4-Orion is first in average damage amongst tech tree ships(45k) by a large margin over second place Kaiser(39k) but is behind Imperator Nikolai a premium who has about 51k.

Second in win rate behind Nikolai with 54% to Nikolai's 62%

T5-Iron Duke is first in average damage amongst tech tree ships with 42k in average damage but like Bellerophon and Nassau is in a virtual tie with Konig. Bretagne is currently doing third with 39k in damage. Both premiums are blowing Iron Duke out of the water, Guilio Caesare has 55k and Gangut(October Revolution) has 48k.

In terms of win rate, Iron Duke trails Konig in second 53%, and is in a virtual tie with Bretagne at 52% among tech trees. Gangut has 53% and is slightly behind Konig while Guilio Caesare has 57%.

T6-Queen Elizabeth is third in average damage among tech tree ships with 46k in average damage. Normandie leads right now with 54k in average damage (though the data there is probably skewed due to the lesser amount of people who've played her) and Fuso is second with 47k. Bayern as most German ships is performing pretty similar to their UK counterpart up to this point with  45k in average damage. QE trails three of her four premium peers and ironically is only leading her sister ship Warspite who is seen as an improvement though Warspite has 45k to QE's 46k. Normandie currently leads every non Warspite premium which in turn all beat Fuso who is leading among established tech tree ships. Arizona leads overall with 50k in average damage.

In terms of win rate, QE is fourth among tech tree ships with 51% beating only New Mexico. QE is in a virtual tie with New Mexico and Bayern who are all very very close. Normandie has 55%  first among all ships, tech tree and premium narrowly beating Arizona by a few hundreths of a percent. Warspite and Fuso are at 52% and Mutsu and Dunkerque are at 53%. This is a really bundled stat were the spread is very small. 

T7-KGV is second in average damage among tech tree ships beyond only Lyon with 62k in average damage to Lyon's 66k. Like with Normandie this stat is very skewed towards Lyon, who probably has far fewer matches than even Normandie and Bretagne cause she's less likely to be earned. KGV obliterates everyone else on tech tree, with Geneniseau coming in second/third with 49k in damage. It has been an Orion esque rout prevented only by a French ship with few matches. KGV also beats all the premiums except Nelson which averages 64k in damage. 

In terms of win rate, the story is the same KGV is second among tech tree ships(54%) to only the new Lyon(57%). Like with average damage, KGV only trails Nelson which has a 56% win rate. 

T8-To my shock, Monarch is second in average damage with 62k only behind Richelieu which has 68k. Same logic applies even more so to Richelieu than her brethren seeing as she's the rarest tech tree ship. Only premium that beats Monarch in average damage is the Roma which averages 64k. Honestly I believe this sample is skewed because not a lot of people play Monarch. Very surprised. 

In terms of win rate, Monarch is third among tech tree ships(52%)behind both  Amagi who she is in a virtual tie with and Richelieu(56%). This time all the premiums except Tirpitz have a higher win rate, with Roma leading with 55%, Alabama having 53% and Kii narrowly leading Monarch with 52%. Honestly think the tier 8 results might be skewed more by population.  

T9-Lion is first in average damage amongst tech tree ships with 76k. The only premium that beats her is Musashi(a T10 in all but name) with 91k. Missouri is third with 68k and the second best tech tree ship at damage is Freidrich der Grosse at 59, which is in basically a virtual tie with Iowa and Amagi being narrowly behind at 58. Lion kills here.

In terms of win rate, Lion is first among tech tree ships with a 52% win rate, both premiums beat her, Musashi has 56% and Missouri has 54%. 

T10-Conqueror is first in average damage by 16k over Yamato 103k to 87k. Right now Mushashi at T9 is closer than any T10 ship with 91k, though  she hasn't been around too much and that's bound to go down closer to Yamato's number seeing as they are basically clones.  

In terms of win rate Conqueror is first with 51%, narrowly beating Grosser Kurfest at 50%.

It's incredible in terms of average damage, notwithstanding the new French ships, the UK wins EVERY SINGLE TECH TREE TIER except for T6 where Fuso wins and QE is a close second(in a close overall race.

In terms of winning percentage, the UK tech tree ship leads in 4 tiers(4,7,9 and 10), nonwithstanding the French and is second three times(3,5 and 8) usually by narrow margins. QE is again the lowest performer here.  

So I think the evidence is clear here. UK averages the most damage in 7 tiers, to Japan's 1. UK has the highest winning percentage in 4 tiers while Japan and Germany have the highest in 2. US hasn't broken into that monopoly at all and we'll see if the French have. 

In terms of premiums it's been a "build it and they will win" kind of thing with a different nations premium dominating almost every tier(Germany 3, Russia 4, Italy 5, USA 6, UK 7, Italy 8, Japan 9). Seems premiums are pretty balanced, wonder if this is at all intentional?  

Edited by Aristotle83
  • Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,456 posts
8,158 battles
On 25/02/2018 at 4:51 AM, Tank_Buster_ said:

Keep plugging on up the British BB line. Once you past the QE, it's all good.  

• Cool 1