You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
InventedThought

French progression 25 ship torp mission

25 comments in this topic

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
344 posts
3,704 battles

So I am trying to get this op done I have the Sims and the Blyskawiska and the Atago  problem is I stink with dd's and cruisers what is the best ship to use for this op? I also have a bit of silver so I could pick up the Furry if necessary. Any one have any Ideas on the subject. I suppose I could just suck it up and deal with the hate from my poor play. :cap_hmm:

[-S-R-]
Members
328 posts
7,336 battles

Take IJN DD and release your inner ninja.

No, really, play IJN DD.  Watch your dotted circle on the minimap like a hawk.  Torps out.  Rinse. Repeat.

Use guns SPARINGLY and only when necessary.  You’re a ninja not a gun slingin’ cowboy.

Edited by TheCompGuy25
  • Cool 2

Members
98 posts
3,467 battles

Easiest way for me was to grab a t5 DD and just go after BB's who can't use WASD hacks. Granted I used the Ohkotnik which I managed to net 10 torp hits in one game.

• Cool 1

[THROW]
Members
200 posts
3,951 battles

German dds are great for it, workable stealth and short reload low damage torps means you can get tons of hits on a single target Brfore it dies. You also have enough gun power to fend off other dds if needed

• Cool 1

[HYDRO]
Members
1,600 posts
3,753 battles

Personally I used mostly PA DDs, partly to complete some grinds, and partly because the detection range of those torpedoes is silly.  The Blyska, while good, is better suited for the 1000 ship hits part.  I would get an IJN DD, possibly Minekaze or Fubuki and just try to ambush any unwary BBs. If you cant grind those ships quick enough, then Blyska will have to do I guess.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,417 posts
12,065 battles

The Emerald works nice, I used the Fujin. I tried to steer clear of the radar.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles

I did it with my tier V DDs as well- fewer airplanes, less hydro, less AWSD. You don't get top tier much but those few times you do can take big chunks out of the requirements. 

Can I recommend that you don't just steer into the middle of a fleet and yolo torps into the closest ship? Usually they miss entirely since not everyone is an idiot and also as the battle spreads out you get many, many more opportunities to get hits. 

Edited by Gascan75
  • Cool 1

Members
100 posts
348 battles

I only have the Nicholas, Aigle, and De Grasse that can count for the 25 torp counter, its being slow for me!

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,688 posts
3,833 battles
31 minutes ago, _Pixi_ said:

Easiest way for me was to grab a t5 DD and just go after BB's who can't use WASD hacks. Granted I used the Ohkotnik which I managed to net 10 torp hits in one game.

^The ohkotnik is wicked fun and has generous amounts of torps that reloads rather quickly.

Plus it's the gun arrangement and clearance makes it a rather great gun boat where the guns can swivel one side to the other.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,825 posts
10,383 battles
34 minutes ago, InventedThought said:

So I am trying to get this op done I have the Sims and the Blyskawiska and the Atago  problem is I stink with dd's and cruisers what is the best ship to use for this op? I also have a bit of silver so I could pick up the Furry if necessary. Any one have any Ideas on the subject. I suppose I could just suck it up and deal with the hate from my poor play. :cap_hmm:

Of your 3 options, Sims, Blyska and Atago none are the best choice for racking up lots of torpedo hits. Blyska is predominantly a gunboat, and while the torpedoes are useful they're slow, shortish ranged and you only get 6 to a broadside. Sims' torpedoes are called 'sea mines' for a reason and while again they're useful, especially with the rapid reload, they're not super reliable.

Atago is a good torpedo boat for a cruiser, the problem being that even if you can land hits it's entirely possible to go entire games without landing one - and still having good games.

Depending on where you are on other lines another ship might work out better. Otherwise my advice would be just to try and have fun as you play, I've never really had success when 'forcing' an objective.

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,417 posts
12,065 battles

If it could have been done in co op and with the Derzki, I could have done it in one or two battles.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
344 posts
3,704 battles

Sucked it up and got the Miny and Nicholis as they were the closest to being unlocked. Thanks for the help.:cap_like:

[TBW]
Members
6,417 posts
12,065 battles
2 minutes ago, InventedThought said:

Sucked it up and got the Miny and Nicholis as they were the closest to being unlocked. Thanks for the help.:cap_like:

Flank BB's after DDs are gone, rush, torp, repeat.

[WPP]
Members
523 posts
5,505 battles

You could play smart and really use your ships in a way that wins you games.  OR you can pull up behind an island you know will see traffic, and just wait.  I used the Kagero to “play smart” and got about half the mission in 2 games by using the Reload consumable and the other half with the Gnevny by playing poorly.  But a ship coming around an island without knowing you’re there after sitting on your butt the whole game takes torpedos just as well.

[BNKR]
Members
674 posts
1,254 battles

I got 16 of mine with the Okhotnik...I can throw a grenade further than the torp range, but it's such a troll ship

[WOLF2]
Members
898 posts
7,308 battles

I try to look at these torp missions as an opportunity.

I am pretty lame with DDs.    But, when these missions come up, there's the opportunity to get in more seat time.   Sure, it's out of the comfort zone, but I'll never get better with DDs by avoiding them.

I'm gonna potato.  I know that.  But if I can work a bit more on strategy (not yolo, rush caps, anticipate where enemy DDs will be, go in with support), then I'll pick up some well-needed experience, and should be able to make more of an impact.

Right now, playing DDs is like being the point man, walking into an ambush.     The pace seems accelerated, and my field of view very small.   I tend to wander blind, meet a bunch of reds, and then a mad scramble to escape.    And as much as I hate it, I know that by playing more, I can get better, expand that field of view, position better, and score some torp or gun hits, take caps, etc.

[HINON]
Members
9,055 posts
33 minutes ago, DiddleDum said:

I try to look at these torp missions as an opportunity.

This is also my philosophy. I find the missions give me incentive to improve my torp skills and I must say I do seem to be getting better with positioning in torp dds and getting better at predicting where the enemy will be when the torps arrive.

[WOLFD]
[WOLFD]
Members
344 posts
3,704 battles
On ‎2‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 9:06 AM, TheCompGuy25 said:

Take IJN DD and release your inner ninja.

No, really, play IJN DD.  Watch your dotted circle on the minimap like a hawk.  Torps out.  Rinse. Repeat.

Use guns SPARINGLY and only when necessary.  You’re a ninja not a gun slingin’ cowboy.

This really helped me get most of the hits. Thanks. I really tried hard to pay att. and do this and found myself thinking I can do this. To be honest I also started to have fun. Glad there is a forum.:Smile_great:

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
2,253 posts
8,649 battles

Kamikaze/R/Fujin

• Cool 1

[NATO]
Beta Testers
1,778 posts
5,809 battles

IJN DD......play carefully, DONT DIE in the first 4 minutes. Maintaining concealment is critical to survival in a DD and contrary to what many think a good DD (or a lucky one lol) is the key to victory in Ranked or Randoms.

[SYN]
Members
4,549 posts
11,437 battles
40 minutes ago, InventedThought said:

This really helped me get most of the hits. Thanks. I really tried hard to pay att. and do this and found myself thinking I can do this. To be honest I also started to have fun. Glad there is a forum.:Smile_great:

Good that you're getting this.

Most of the time you're watching the minimap more than anything else.  Or should, anyway.

[LOU1]
Members
3,072 posts
8,161 battles

Gave up on using my DDs; seemed as if I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn.  Finished it with Marblehead, Leander, Perth, Gallant, Martel, and DeGrasse.

Edited by ExploratorOne

[ADAPT]
Members
830 posts
13,109 battles

play banzai with ship you have..blys and sim are good, since they fast ..just go directly to bb and try avoid those gun

[-S-R-]
Members
328 posts
7,336 battles
On 2/26/2018 at 5:48 PM, InventedThought said:

Glad to help!!!  Hope to see you in the game, but since I now gave away the secret, maybe not....  :cap_like: