You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
warpath_33

Buying a New Ship

Which ship to buy?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which ship?

• Edinburgh
    • Admiral Hipper
    • Pensacola...

18 comments in this topic

Members
1,271 posts
3,634 battles

I now have both Edinburgh and Admiral Hipper researched. Which one would be a better choice to buy?

Some info:

I'm keeping my British cruiser captain in Fiji for now for Operation Hermes

Admiral Hipper reload why

I've done pretty well in both Yorck and Fiji, though I did better with Fiji

Or I could get Pensacola...

[PHASE]
Members
5,445 posts
18,005 battles

Depends on your end goal, if it's to get to ten or stay at 8. Not many are thrilled with the Hipper but the Roon and Hindy are wonderful.

See the source image

• Funny 1

Members
1,271 posts
3,634 battles
Just now, Sweetsie said:

Depends on your end goal, if it's to get to ten or stay at 8. Not many are thrilled with the Hipper but the Roon and Hindy are wonderful.

See the source image

I mostly want Hipper because it looks awesome to be honest.

Then again I heard that Edinburgh isn't that much of an improvement over Fiji...

My plan is really to grind up to tier 10 and rebuy ships that I liked when I get there (Which will things a bit easier for the British line because I have Duke of York to train captains)

[TBW]
Members
8,851 posts
15,701 battles
1 minute ago, warpath_33 said:

Then again I heard that Edinburgh isn't that much of an improvement over Fiji...

They ar e both squishy when broadside the Edinburgh has smoke and single fire torps that go much farther.

[PHASE]
Members
5,445 posts
18,005 battles
2 minutes ago, warpath_33 said:

My plan is really to grind up to tier 10 and rebuy ships that I liked when I get there (Which will things a bit easier for the British line because I have Duke of York to train captains)

The Hipper will also give you great training on high tier cruiser play, it's not an easy ship, but it's very satisfying when you do well in perceived "lesser" ships.

[5IN]
Supertester
2,099 posts
9,986 battles

I would go with Hipper.  Its more durable, the AP and HE are both good, and its an attractive looking ship.  All of that, and Hipper will get you to Hindenburg, which is almost a battleship in cruiser clothing (imho).

B

Members
483 posts
4,099 battles

Edin is a fun bote, but she really isn't an upgrade over the Fiji.  You do the same crap, but with the added bonus of the RN superheal.  Other than that she's practically the exact same ship but uptiered.  

I haven't played Hipper but my friends tell me she's a decent enough ship to play.  

Pensacola is an absolute monster, and the New Orleans is also amazing.  I highly recommend the USN CA line, especially since the CL/CA split happens soon.

[-KAK-]
Members
124 posts
5,265 battles

I haven't finished Yorck yet, But my experience with Edin was somewhat lackluster. The combination of constant uptiering and poor range lead to games with an average of 40k damage. When facing 7-9 or 6-8 she performs fairly well and I was able to get a kraken with her. The real gem is getting to Neptune imo, that 5 second fire rate makes the Edin worth the grind.

[WOLF5]
Members
785 posts
29,375 battles
1 hour ago, warpath_33 said:

Say... is it possible to get Edinburgh stealthy enough to allow it to stealth torp?

Sort of. You have to go full stealth build to get it down to 9km (captain skill, concealment module and camo) and get the upgraded torps with 10km range. Keep in mind the Edi only has 3 tubes per side and the upgraded torps only do 15533 damage. Since the Edi is one of the slower cruisers at T-8 MM at 32.5, I don't think trying to stealth torp 3 fish with a 72s reload time should be a consideration for your play style. By the time you drop torps, make your turn to get out, your detectability window is going to be very slim. Add the fact that you can only do a MAX of 46.6k damage, I don't know that the risk is worth the reward. 

That being said, the Edi/Neptune/Mino are fun to play. The Hipper is a grind, but the Roon/Hindy are good. The Edi is a slightly improved Fiji that sees T8 MM instead of T7. 

As for you plan to sell the ships and buy the ones you like later, I'd encourage you to just keep them unless you hate them. Remember, since you're in a clan, you don't get 50% of the purchase price, you only get 45% for T5-8. That means that even if you wait for the sales like WG is running this weekend, for the various tiers (50%/30%/15%), you're going to be upside down on silver. Since WG seems to use either T-IV+ or T-V+ for their promo missions, you may want to hang onto those ships so that you can use them to complete challenges and combat missions since certain tasks are easier at lower tiers than higher ones. 

[JUICE]
Members
824 posts
6,375 battles

The price you pay to grind through Hipper is worth it to Roon and Hindenburg. Roon is awesome and Hindenburg is truly a jack of all trades.

Members
1,271 posts
3,634 battles

Right, I'm getting Hipper because I still need to train my replacement Fiji captain and Pensacola can wait until the split is officially announced (no way I'm getting New Orleans and Baltimore before the split anyway)

[SYN]
Members
5,461 posts
12,704 battles
5 minutes ago, warpath_33 said:

Right, I'm getting Hipper because I still need to train my replacement Fiji captain and Pensacola can wait until the split is officially announced (no way I'm getting New Orleans and Baltimore before the split anyway)

Might actually be beneficial to get the American cruisers now.  If it's handled like the splits of the past (VMF, IJN),  for any of the affected USN cruisers you have in port you get the new tier-equivalent ships along with their added port slots, for no expense.

Members
1,271 posts
3,634 battles
Just now, Kuckoo said:

Might actually be beneficial to get the American cruisers now.  If it's handled like the splits of the past (VMF, IJN),  for any of the affected USN cruisers you have in port you get the new tier-equivalent ships along with their added port slots, for no expense.

Oh, I mean I'll still get it before the split. Sure It'll be stock when the split comes, but American ships aren't really high priority for me.

Members
4,156 posts
15,654 battles
3 hours ago, Slntreaper said:

Edin is a fun bote, but she really isn't an upgrade over the Fiji.  You do the same crap, but with the added bonus of the RN superheal.  Other than that she's practically the exact same ship but uptiered.  

I didn't find Edinburgh to be even as good as Fiji, let alone better.

Hipper/Prinz Eugen are, IMHO, excellent ships. Their downside is that their detectability is insanely high for Cruisers (same with Roon and Hindenberg) and they endlessly get bottom tiered against vastly superior tier 10s.

Edited by ReddNekk

[WOLF3]
Members
22,768 posts
20,689 battles

Hipper & Edinburgh are Tier VIII Cruisers and as a result, aren't all that to begin with.  The real question is if you are pushing to Tier X, which of these are your first, real goal.

Minotaur is the apex of all that is good and bad with RN CLs.  Well played Minotaurs are dangerous around the caps and when the fighting is defensive or static, she really shines.  Minotaur supporting DDs in the cap effort is extremely deadly as RN CL AP, especially the rates Mino fires at, are DD killing shells.  On top of the gun spam, she has a super heavy torpedo loadout, tons of torps per side and not only that, they reach 10km (full stealth build, her detection goes down to 8.6km).  Has full launcher or single torpedo launch options.  However, when you look up stats, Minotaur isn't a big damage average competitor, she is more restrained like Des Moines due to how her shells float.  She is also extremely squishy.

Hindenburg is IMO, the most all-around Tier X Cruiser.  ANNOYING A.F. at long range, extremely deadly at short range fights.  Fast shooting guns, good fire starting quality, yet still has high German CA AP damage values should the right situation arises for it.  Has tons of torps with good launch angles each side, decent range with 6km.  Accesses the best Hydro in the game, Tier X German Hydro.  When the range is short, she is tanky as hell.  Will not take well to long range BB AP that lands on her.  That is a common Cruiser problem, but that tanky scheme fails taking long range big caliber AP.

Both are good X Cruisers but play vastly different from each other.  IMO Hindenburg is easier to play and excels in the general pew pew long range DPM meta, etc.  Minotaur players have to play paranoid but they can have some telling effects if played smartly around the caps and are positioned well.  Minotaurs try to prey on DDs first, which has serious match implications if they succeed.  Their second priority is making BBs regret being out of position.  When playing a high tier BB and suddenly find yourself getting slammed by Minotaur AP at 10 or so km away, you can't reliably shoot back, then your choices are pretty sh*t.  You can YOLO or die.  Or you can turn around and get raked by Minotaur across your lower superstructure / upper hull by an Atlanta-like stream of RN CL AP and lose TONS of HP.  You can also bow on and reverse, then that Minotaur just streams AP into your superstructure and you still lose lots of HP.  Your reversing tactic takes forever, and Minotaur as a result will spam AP on you forever.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway