Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Phoenix_jz

[Devblog] ST, American cruiser Astoria (Tier VII New Orleans)

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

2,813
[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,735 posts
2,129 battles

https://m.facebook.com/wowsdevblog/photos/a.1914529002206771.1073741828.1909055039420834/2021603344832669/?type=3&source=57

 

It's the second Devblog of the ship's for the USN ST, this time the downtiered version of New Orleans. Once again, this appears to just be the stock hull of the existing ship.

 

Devblog Text:

 

ST, American cruiser Astoria, tier VII (ex-New Orleans, moved one tier down, the stats were corrected accordingly)

 

Hit points – 29700. 

Plating- 19 mm. 

Armor belt – 127 mm. 

Torpedodamage reduction – 4%.

 

Main battery - 3х3 203 mm. 

Firing range – 14.7 km. 

Maximum HE shell damage – 2800. 

Chanceto cause fire – 14%. 

Maximum AP shell damage - 4600. 

Reload time - 15 s.

180 degree turn time - 25.7 s. 

Maximum dispersion - 134 m. 

HE initial velocity - 823 m/s. 

AP initial velocity - 853 m/s. 

Sigmavalue – 2.0.

 

Maximum speed - 32.5 kt. 

Turning circle radius - 660 m. 

Rudder shift time – 9.0 s. 

Surface detectability – 11.8 km. 

Air detectability – 7.5 km. 

Detectability after firing main guns in smoke – 6.6 km.

 

Available consumables:

Slot 1 - Damage Control Party

Slot 2 - Defensive AA Fire/Hydroacoustic Search

Slot 3 - Catapult Fighter

All stats are listed without crew and upgrade modifiers.

The numbers are preliminary and are subject to change during the testing phase.

The new name is a placeholder until the ship is released to avoid confusion with the existing one. Original name will be returned upon release.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
605
[NGA]
Members
1,894 posts
9,994 battles
7 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

Might be useful to see a difference with the existing NO...

The only difference that I see between this and a stock NO is that it loses 800 hp, access to the Radar consumable, and the fifth upgrade slot.

And after a quick check of the armor viewer, it appears that it also appears to lose 6mm of armor plating. Which frankly I don't understand, but there you go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,920
[INTEL]
Members
7,351 posts
32,405 battles
25 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

The only difference that I see between this and a stock NO is that it loses 800 hp, access to the Radar consumable, and the fifth upgrade slot.

How is that different from Indianapolis? (also a NOLA at T7 with great radar).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
605
[NGA]
Members
1,894 posts
9,994 battles
2 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

How is that different from Indianapolis? (also a NOLA at T7 with great radar).

The difference is that Indianapolis has radar while NO has hull and gunnery upgrades that might also carry over.

Edited by JediMasterDraco

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29,025
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,430 posts
16,249 battles
30 minutes ago, JediMasterDraco said:

And after a quick check of the armor viewer, it appears that it also appears to lose 6mm of armor plating. Which frankly I don't understand, but there you go.

Because tier 7 ships simply have thinner armor on the extremities than tier 8 ships. Getting downtiered means losing your tier 8 extremity armor thickness.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
273
[S0L0]
Beta Testers
726 posts
5,575 battles
26 minutes ago, alexf24 said:

How is that different from Indianapolis? (also a NOLA at T7 with great radar).

Indy is not a NOLA, she’s a Portland class

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
273
[S0L0]
Beta Testers
726 posts
5,575 battles
24 minutes ago, Lert said:

Because tier 7 ships simply have thinner armor on the extremities than tier 8 ships. Getting downtiered means losing your tier 8 extremity armor thickness.

Is that srandard WG practice?  Doesn’t seem fair to the NOLA esp since she has less HP than the tier 6 Pensa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
269
[90THD]
[90THD]
Members
3,054 posts
2,506 battles
1 minute ago, missile742 said:

Is that srandard WG practice?

Yes. Gameplay. Balancing with the autobounce and overmatch features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29,025
[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,430 posts
16,249 battles
Just now, missile742 said:

Is that srandard WG practice?

Yep. Look at different tier ships with the armor viewer and you'll see. In fact, extremity armor is sometimes used as a balancing factor - compare tier 8 extremity armor of royal navy cruisers, american / french / russian cruisers and German cruisers, for example.

Battleships are much more even in extremity armor across tiers. Up to T3: 16mm. T4 - T5: 19mm. T6 - T7: 25mm. T8+: 32mm.

3 minutes ago, missile742 said:

Doesn’t seem fair to the NOLA esp since she has less HP than the tier 6 Pensa

Wouldn't be fair if it was the same across all tiers. That way nothing could overmatch bow armor at low tiers and bow armor wouldn't be able to bounce anything at high tier.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
626
[HELLS]
Members
2,387 posts
23,441 battles

The devs (all Russians) like to give us USN Premiums and tech tree ships that disappeared in combat or were nonentities in battle, mostly in American defeats or draws. Sims (sunk by aircraft at Coral Sea-a tactical draw), Astoria (if she happens-Savo Island-a USN defeat), Arizona (sunk at Pearl Harbor-an American defeat), Indiananapolis (sunk by an IJN submarine), Alabama (a fast carrier escort AA gun platform that served well but nothing extraordinary), Missouri (same as Alabama- and famed as Halsey's flagship and the ship where Japan signed the surrender), Kidd (the only real winner in the bunch-nerfed by the devs to T8 with weak torps), Atlanta (a fine ship, sunk at Guadalcanal by the IJN in a tactical draw-Rear Admiral Norman Scott's flagship), and Flint (another fast carrier AA escort-served well but not outstanding-a booby prize for Ranked battles). The anti-US bias is relevant given the in-game stats of many of these ships. Some are good, some aren't.

Look at the RN Premiums and tech tree ships. All of the Premiums had stellar combat records, as did most of the tech tree ships up to King George V and Edinburgh. Same for most of the IJN Premiums and ARP ships. The DKM Premiums are all decent, as are some of the tech tree ships that existed in real life. All of the Premiums except Prinz Eugen were sunk by the Brits, either at sea in battle or at anchor by FAA or RAF air attacks. They have their place in the game.

Commonwealth ships? Perth died fighting alongside Houston at Sunda Straits. Vampire was sunk in the Indian Ocean by IJN carrier aircraft. Defeats for the RAN and the USN.

Marine Nationale? Some served honorably alongside the Allies navies and never served under Vichy control. I salute those ships and their crews The rest? Neutered by wartime politics, a false sense of honor, and sunk by the RN or their own crews to avoid capture by the Germans. I am not an MN fan at all.

Regia Marina? The ones we have fought honorably, or died honorably. They have their place in the game.

Poland? Blyskawica earned her place in the hall of fame the hard way. A great ship. I salute her, and all who served in her.

Cannot speak for the rest, like the Pan-Asian ships. I just play them to get a slightly different feel for the ships of their countries of origin.

The RU ships? All slightly overpowered and mostly paper ships, and the real ships did not do much, Premium or tech tree. Their crews were too busy fighting on land as infantry for the most part. It is what it is. Go figure....

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
900
[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
2,068 posts
1,668 battles
15 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

The devs (all Russians) like to give us USN Premiums and tech tree ships that disappeared in combat or were nonentities in battle, mostly in American defeats or draws. Sims (sunk by aircraft at Coral Sea-a tactical draw), Astoria (if she happens-Savo Island-a USN defeat), Arizona (sunk at Pearl Harbor-an American defeat), Indiananapolis (sunk by an IJN submarine), Alabama (a fast carrier escort AA gun platform that served well but nothing extraordinary), Missouri (same as Alabama- and famed as Halsey's flagship and the ship where Japan signed the surrender), Kidd (the only real winner in the bunch-nerfed by the devs to T8 with weak torps), Atlanta (a fine ship, sunk at Guadalcanal by the IJN in a tactical draw-Rear Admiral Norman Scott's flagship), and Flint (another fast carrier AA escort-served well but not outstanding-a booby prize for Ranked battles). The anti-US bias is relevant given the in-game stats of many of these ships. Some are good, some aren't.

Look at the RN Premiums and tech tree ships. All of the Premiums had stellar combat records, as did most of the tech tree ships up to King George V and Edinburgh. Same for most of the IJN Premiums and ARP ships. The DKM Premiums are all decent, as are some of the tech tree ships that existed in real life. All of the Premiums except Prinz Eugen were sunk by the Brits, either at sea in battle or at anchor by FAA or RAF air attacks. They have their place in the game.

Commonwealth ships? Perth died fighting alongside Houston at Sunda Straits. Vampire was sunk in the Indian Ocean by IJN carrier aircraft. Defeats for the RAN and the USN.

Marine Nationale? Some served honorably alongside the Allies navies and never served under Vichy control. I salute those ships and their crews The rest? Neutered by wartime politics, a false sense of honor, and sunk by the RN or their own crews to avoid capture by the Germans. I am not an MN fan at all.

Regia Marina? The ones we have fought honorably, or died honorably. They have their place in the game.

Poland? Blyskawica earned her place in the hall of fame the hard way. A great ship. I salute her, and all who served in her.

Cannot speak for the rest, like the Pan-Asian ships. I just play them to get a slightly different feel for the ships of their countries of origin.

The RU ships? All slightly overpowered and mostly paper ships, and the real ships did not do much, Premium or tech tree. Their crews were too busy fighting on land as infantry for the most part. It is what it is. Go figure....

 

Enterprise?  Atlanta fought like hell before she went down, as well.  "Remember the Arizona" was the rallying cry for the US in the early stages of the war.  Indianapolis carried parts for the atomic bombs that ended the war.  Texas is the last surviving Dreadnaught in existence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
626
[HELLS]
Members
2,387 posts
23,441 battles
9 minutes ago, CaptainKaitoGhost said:

 

Enterprise?  Atlanta fought like hell before she went down, as well.  "Remember the Arizona" was the rallying cry for the US in the early stages of the war.  Indianapolis carried parts for the atomic bombs that ended the war.  Texas is the last surviving Dreadnaught in existence.

Not knocking the crews here, far from it. They died hard, all of them. Honor it. It is the devs perspective on product developement game-wise that I have trouble appreciating!

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,255
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,218 posts
12,937 battles
14 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

The devs (all Russians) like to give us USN Premiums and tech tree ships that disappeared in combat or were nonentities in battle, mostly in American defeats or draws.

I'm not really sure I agree.

Either way, Astoria is just a 'placeholder' name, she's not coming as a premium ship. When WG re-did the IJN split they tested them using different names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,984
[KNMSU]
Members
7,049 posts
7,666 battles
41 minutes ago, GrandAdmiral_2016 said:

The devs (all Russians) like to give us USN Premiums and tech tree ships that disappeared in combat or were nonentities in battle, mostly in American defeats or draws. Sims (sunk by aircraft at Coral Sea-a tactical draw), Astoria (if she happens-Savo Island-a USN defeat), Arizona (sunk at Pearl Harbor-an American defeat), Indiananapolis (sunk by an IJN submarine), Alabama (a fast carrier escort AA gun platform that served well but nothing extraordinary), Missouri (same as Alabama- and famed as Halsey's flagship and the ship where Japan signed the surrender), Kidd (the only real winner in the bunch-nerfed by the devs to T8 with weak torps), Atlanta (a fine ship, sunk at Guadalcanal by the IJN in a tactical draw-Rear Admiral Norman Scott's flagship), and Flint (another fast carrier AA escort-served well but not outstanding-a booby prize for Ranked battles). The anti-US bias is relevant given the in-game stats of many of these ships. Some are good, some aren't.

Look at the RN Premiums and tech tree ships. All of the Premiums had stellar combat records, as did most of the tech tree ships up to King George V and Edinburgh. Same for most of the IJN Premiums and ARP ships. The DKM Premiums are all decent, as are some of the tech tree ships that existed in real life. All of the Premiums except Prinz Eugen were sunk by the Brits, either at sea in battle or at anchor by FAA or RAF air attacks. They have their place in the game.

Commonwealth ships? Perth died fighting alongside Houston at Sunda Straits. Vampire was sunk in the Indian Ocean by IJN carrier aircraft. Defeats for the RAN and the USN.

Marine Nationale? Some served honorably alongside the Allies navies and never served under Vichy control. I salute those ships and their crews The rest? Neutered by wartime politics, a false sense of honor, and sunk by the RN or their own crews to avoid capture by the Germans. I am not an MN fan at all.

Regia Marina? The ones we have fought honorably, or died honorably. They have their place in the game.

Poland? Blyskawica earned her place in the hall of fame the hard way. A great ship. I salute her, and all who served in her.

Cannot speak for the rest, like the Pan-Asian ships. I just play them to get a slightly different feel for the ships of their countries of origin.

The RU ships? All slightly overpowered and mostly paper ships, and the real ships did not do much, Premium or tech tree. Their crews were too busy fighting on land as infantry for the most part. It is what it is. Go figure....

You can knock the design team for many things. This isn't one of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,719
[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles
3 hours ago, JediMasterDraco said:

The only difference that I see between this and a stock NO is that it loses 800 hp, access to the Radar consumable, and the fifth upgrade slot.

And after a quick check of the armor viewer, it appears that it also appears to lose 6mm of armor plating. Which frankly I don't understand, but there you go.

The hull plate is generally by tier, it's not a historical value.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32
[R-F1]
Members
133 posts
11,047 battles

So indy has a 14.2 reload for main guns and the new orleans will have 15 sec.. that is totally [edited] up.. the Pensacola has 15 sec reload and more guns.. let's do some math..

ship            shells/salvo       shells/min

pensa              10                      40

indy                  9                        38.02  (14.2 reload rate)

new Orleans   9                        36

that is too weak.. need to drop reload rate to atleast 13.5.. (40 sells/ min)... keeping it at 12 sec would be best.... even if the turret traverse was slower..

and none of these ships have torps like all other CA in those tiers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,255
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,218 posts
12,937 battles
2 hours ago, StevebDancer said:

So indy has a 14.2 reload for main guns and the new orleans will have 15 sec.. that is totally [edited] up.. the Pensacola has 15 sec reload and more guns.. let's do some math..

I wouldn't sweat it. These are stock values. At T8 at the moment NOLA goes from 15s stock to 12s upgraded.

These values are pointless and stupid without top-hull numbers and whichever WG intern put them up this weekend should feel ashamed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,587
[SYN]
Members
15,462 posts
12,778 battles

RoF is a soft stat to WG anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32
[R-F1]
Members
133 posts
11,047 battles

the ability to do damage equivalent to other ships in her tier is important.. giving better dispersion is ok but a limit to damage is a problem.. I rather have faster guns and higher dispersion.. then the capability is there for more damage. Then again WG does not like USA. they make our lines weak...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×