You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralPiett

Steering Gears Mod 2 Vs. Damage Control System Mod 2 for BBs

66 comments in this topic

[MAHAN]
Beta Testers
1,396 posts
5,108 battles

Ever since CBT I always took steering gears mod 2 on my BBs to shave a couple seconds or so off the rudder shift times, but I'm wondering if that is really the way to go? I have noticed that more people seem to like Damage Control System Mod 2 instead. I run that on my Izumo and Yamato since their rudder shifts are already so glacial that only making them slightly less horrific seems like a waste. However, I'm wondering if the value of Damage Control System Mod 2 really outweighs any slight increase in responsiveness at the helm for BBs/CCs in general? I know @LittleWhiteMouse seems to be firmly in that camp.

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

I just saw someones in-depth assessment on the Steering Gear Module.  Their conclusion -- in brief -- was that the steering module impact on maneuverability is so very small that in almost all cases they recommended using another choice for the module slot.   

[SEOP]
Members
1,291 posts

...but of course now that I want to find the link to the study again, I can't...hmmmm...

[FG]
Members
398 posts
3,715 battles

Steering Gears and Fire Prevention is the way I run my BBs. No way am I dealing with 20s rudder shift on the high tier BBs.

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

DCM2 is nice when stacked with BoS for a further decreased DoT duration time. 

SGM2 is great when you "need" to thread the needle between Torpedoes. 

But the easily forgotten PM2 is occasionally nice to have. Sure you're a slow BB or CA, but the Acceleration buff comes in handy if you're used to whatever your base rudder shift is. Depending on mastery of throttle control combined with mastery of rudder control, there is potential that PM2 can be a decent skill for BBs and CAs; arguably more so for CAs with access to SGM3. 

While the general consensus says PM2 is a poor choice for a BB, but that slight boost to Acceleration potentially means that last Torp you've managed to turn through just might not catch your aft end Because you're accelerating slightly faster once you've completed your turn. 

Edited by Ivlerlin
Spelling / Grammar

[LHG]
Members
1,658 posts
4,931 battles

I do as well.  It makes more sense to us SGM2 on cruisers since they depend more on being able to avoid shellfire that you'll be able to get in a battleship.  At least IMHO, it's better to be able to deal more effectively with the damage you're going to receive in a BB than the slightly increased chance that you might be able to avoid some. 

[RKLES]
Members
7,229 posts
9,006 battles

I am actually looking into High Alert, Jack of all Trades, and Premium Damage Control. That way I can maybe cut down fires pretty much as soon as they start as well as floods, but looking into the possibilities still before investing that heavily to do High Alert and Jack of all Trades since usually can only spare skills for one or the other.

[ARP2]
Members
1,244 posts
3,569 battles

I used DCM2 on my BB until /unless the captain has basics of survivability, then I swap it for steering gears.

In the face of HE, some reduction on fires is a must.  With the flag and BoS, I'll let two fires burn sometimes without damage controlling it.  They usually burn themselves out pretty quick.  If they don't, I'm probably overextended and dying soon anyway.

Edited by Hatework

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
9,133 posts
7,658 battles
1 hour ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

I use steering all the way lets u dodge better.

Except it doesn't.

• Cool 2
  • Bad 2

[JSOC]
Beta Testers
813 posts
5,572 battles

It depends on the BB. But I use Steering gears on Yamato for sure. you need the ability to rapid change your rudder... because to shoot your guns, turning your ship is needed to aim.( well. aim quickly....)  I find it works well.   Musashi, with her faster base rudder shift, I use the Dmg control.   seeing both... I see an argument for both sides. Just pick what your playstyle works with.. really isnt a wrong answer between those 2.

5 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Except it doesn't.

uhh huu.   except shifting 2-3 seconds quicker cuts time off when you need to rotate the vessel, IE... makes it easier to dodge.   

Alot of what you say in your reviews make sense. but your stance the Steering is 100% useless on All BBs doesnt.

• Funny 1

[WG-CC]
9,133 posts
7,658 battles
11 minutes ago, NightHawkS117 said:

uhh huu.   except shifting 2-3 seconds quicker cuts time off when you need to rotate the vessel, IE... makes it easier to dodge.   

Alot of what you say in your reviews make sense. but your stance the Steering is 100% useless on All BBs doesnt.

Except it doesn't shave off 2.3 seconds.  If you're lucky, it takes off a full 1 second at most, and that's only on the largest, slowest turning ships in the game.  For cruisers and destroyers, the effect is so miniscule that for some ships, it cannot be accurately measured.  You would be better served getting a good night's sleep and having a cup of coffee to improve your twitch reflexes than installing that upgrade.  Here's the effects of SGM2 on various ships making a 90º turn.

• T-61:  0.01s improvement.
  • Aigle:  0.3s improvement.
  • Makarov:  0.4s improvement.
  • Huanghe: 0.3s improvement.
  • Moskva (with SGM2 and SGM3):  1.3s improvement.
  • Hindenburg (with SGM2 and SGM3):  1.5s improvement.
  • Roma:  0.7s improvement.
  • Gascogne:  0.2s improvement.
  • Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
1 hour ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Except it doesn't shave off 2.3 seconds.  If you're lucky, it takes off a full 1 second at most, and that's only on the largest, slowest turning ships in the game.  For cruisers and destroyers, the effect is so miniscule that for some ships, it cannot be accurately measured.  You would be better served getting a good night's sleep and having a cup of coffee to improve your twitch reflexes than installing that upgrade.  Here's the effects of SGM2 on various ships making a 90º turn.

I thought the greatest aspect of SGM2 and SGM3 were their abilities to decrease initial rudder speeds; not so much their effectiveness at pulling a 90deg turn. Basically how fast the rudder turns away and returns to Neutral. 

But what do I truly know? I'm basing off 'feels' not maths and data. I'm also the one that stated earlier that the +50% Acceleration from PM2 has minor benefits for BBs when it comes to "dodging" depending on how well you throttle your speed.. 

[WOLF8]
[WOLF8]
Members
2,470 posts
3,405 battles
3 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

:o

Miss Mouse, does this mean that I've pretty much wasted my credits for mounting the steering gear on all my BB's?

I must admit that doing torpedobeat is still hard on a lot of BB's, just because BB's are naturally more sluggish in general... but I was secretly hoping that the steering gear would give me a hand in some way... D:

[WG-CC]
9,133 posts
7,658 battles
1 hour ago, Ivlerlin said:

I thought the greatest aspect of SGM2 and SGM3 were their abilities to decrease initial rudder speeds; not so much their effectiveness at pulling a 90deg turn.

They do increase rudder speeds, but why you move your rudder in the first place?  Am I wrong in assuming that it's just a means to an end:  to make the bow of your ship point in a different direction?

I wanted rudder shift upgrades to do more.  Truly, I did.  I was absolutely shocked (and horrified) at how little they actually assisted a ship in changing their heading.  I discovered that speed was preferable to rudder shift for changing a ship's heading.  You're better served sticking a Sierra Mike signal on your ships or activating Engine Boost if you want to be more manoeuvrable. 

• Cool 2

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
3 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I have the rudder shift installed on a number of DDs.  Even if it helps only a fraction of a second, is it still better then damage control?

Edited by Sventex

[WG-CC]
9,133 posts
7,658 battles
3 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I have the rudder shift installed on a number of DDs.  Even if it helps only a fraction of a second, is it still better then damage control?

Take Propulsion Mod 2 on your destroyers.  The extra acceleration from a dead stop is worth it.

• Cool 4

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
Just now, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Take Propulsion Mod 2 on your destroyers.  The extra acceleration from a dead stop is worth it.

Thank you for the advice.  +1

[BOATC]
Members
299 posts
7,335 battles

I'd be more interested in how much or little it improves smaller turns, but I imagine that's harder to measure.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,187 battles
5 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Absolute decrease in seconds means little if total shift time is unknown.

Give % improvement please, there's good data and useless data.

Edited by NeutralState

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
9 minutes ago, wdarkk said:

I'd be more interested in how much or little it improves smaller turns, but I imagine that's harder to measure.

It's probably some crazy calculation about maximum speed through the turn compared to turning radius resulting in deg/sec.

Repeated at 1/2 and Full Rudder

I'm sure the plot graph would be interesting to look at but well over the heads of a number of players. 

Alpha Tester
1,306 posts
9,391 battles
10 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Except it doesn't.

Does too, I can't stand slow rudder shift time and the Yamato has the tightest turning circle for tier 10 bbs and the second best rudder shift. I can't count the number of times I've dodged things I wouldn't have without it. Now if you really hate fire or think it' a problem then sure its fine taking damage mod, but in my experience the rudder shift is better.

• Bad 1

[R-R-R]
Members
975 posts
6,634 battles
6 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

They do increase rudder speeds, but why you move your rudder in the first place?  Am I wrong in assuming that it's just a means to an end:  to make the bow of your ship point in a different direction?

That might be true for BBs.

But for cruisers, the ability to wiggle back and forth is worth a lot. The rudder shift time also sets a limit on how close you can get to BBs while still maintaining the ability to dodge shells AFTER they fire.