You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Komrade_Rylo

Need help with Pensacola

25 comments in this topic

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,949 posts
11,728 battles

I don't know what I'm doing wrong with Pensacola. I just can't get the wr and damage I want out of the ship,  any tips from people that know how to play it?

[CRMSN]
5,955 posts
4,333 battles

Keeping it short and simple, its a pure support ship through and through.  Use your good concealment to navigate areas without getting detected, and then use situations in which ships are at a disadvantage to make it even more of a disadvantage. 

She works well as a complimentary ship, and does not bode well when it comes to pushing the pace of the game outside of some unique situations. 

I thoroughly enjoyed her, however you must be quite vigilant in terms of how you approach situations in her. 

64% win rate over 25 games and a 1450 WTR (solo) . I really like pensacola a lot, it was a completely different style compared to Cleveland that prepares you well for NO .  If she had radar she would be a keeper for me. 

2,949 posts
11,728 battles
17 minutes ago, Cobraclutch said:

Keeping it short and simple, its a pure support ship through and through.  Use your good concealment to navigate areas without getting detected, and then use situations in which ships are at a disadvantage to make it even more of a disadvantage. 

She works well as a complimentary ship, and does not bode well when it comes to pushing the pace of the game outside of some unique situations. 

I thoroughly enjoyed her, however you must be quite vigilant in terms of how you approach situations in her. 

64% win rate over 25 games and a 1450 WTR (solo) . I really like pensacola a lot, it was a completely different style compared to Cleveland that prepares you well for NO .  If she had radar she would be a keeper for me. 

I'm trying to get a 75% wr in her, my current wr isn't doing it for me

• Funny 2

[WOLFA]
Members
720 posts
5,357 battles

Once I got the Pepsi I realized very quickly that it cannot take a hit at all.

My play style is hiding behind islands and second tier HE spamming, AP on the broadside of almost anything will give you good results.

If you get caught out in the open weave and bob like crazy but keep those 203's firing.

[WOLF8]
Members
381 posts
7,307 battles

I enjoyed it, and I’m enjoying the New Orleans.  With Pensa, I cared quite a bit about my concealment.  Plan your shots, using situational awareness to know who is going to have a good shot on you when you open up and become visible.  It’s best to have your angle already set, making yourself an unattractive target.  To that end, don’t let yourself get isolated.  US cruisers really demand great situational awareness and minimap use.

Edited by MikeLWX

Beta Testers
1,661 posts
5,696 battles

I would say Penacola is much better if you have concealment expert to really make it shine.

You gotta bob and weave against BBs. But against cruisers and DDs you can punish extremely hard.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
3,540 posts
12,180 battles

You troll, you should be telling us how to play it :Smile_teethhappy:

[RLGN]
Members
12,229 posts
21,940 battles

As I love to repeat as often as the opportunity comes up; I like Pensy because the first time I took it out I sank a full health Atago, and a 40% NO on Two brothers...

...basically by doing as has been said here; watching the minimap and using cover to my advantage.

[SYN]
Members
5,461 posts
12,704 battles

Pensacola is a hard ship to do well in, but you can do well in it.  Stay with the team, engage opponents who are already occupied.  Don't strike out on your own anywhere until the late game.  Switch to AP on broadside targets - for all the flak the Pensacola gets, it has some of the strongest AP of any cruiser in the game.

The Pensacola forces you to learn how to pay attention to the minimap.

EDIT:  Wait, did we just get trolled...?  :Smile_facepalm:

Edited by Kuckoo

2,949 posts
11,728 battles
5 minutes ago, Kuckoo said:

EDIT:  Wait, did we just get trolled...?  :Smile_facepalm:

Snapmeme_1519427816354.thumb.jpg.59fc9f8d2793676792bbb055bda4d87f.jpg

2,949 posts
11,728 battles
4 minutes ago, pikohan said:

Please sir, can I have some more!?

Your wish is my command

Snapmeme_1517666482909.thumb.jpg.8a7d17ec6dab970037ed2acffe3b0ccb.jpg

• Funny 1

[CRMSN]
5,955 posts
4,333 battles
1 hour ago, Fog_Battleship_NCarolina said:

I'm trying to get a 75% wr in her, my current wr isn't doing it for me

You have in a sense achieved that goal. 

Solo w/r is that Mark :Smile_medal:

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles
10 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

5a90ab2b698bf_PPF22.jpg.2bd2e53fbbf83f0ac5b8e1ffe6784332.jpg

Coffee cups and glasses always deserves positive karma...

---

Lol needs more %WR for Pensacola, wants 75%... 

Just wait for the line split. You'll get to pummel strike T5s for your 75%WR....

Members
1,866 posts
16,312 battles

Glad some people have success with the Pensi, but there is a really good reason that the line split will move the Pensi down, it is presently a pile of steaming citadels in tier 7.   One of the worst performing tier 7 ( two week stats) Cruisers, and the lowest damage producer for it’s tier.  Most of the suggestions to play could be applied to any of the tier 7 cruisers, most important thing is to try not to have any body shoot at you and try not to get tiered up.  Everyone loves to shoot at a Pensi, damage and Cit farming.  Tolerable in Cruiser heavy meta, but with the BB/dd heavy meta right now, it just suffers.  Take the suggestion to free exp past,  or hold your nose and be ready to sometimes have a good game, but most games little impact and quick deletion.

[CASUL]
Members
256 posts
3,751 battles

Free XP past it or enjoy being a floating turd. It is the worst performing T7 cruiser. If it wasn't for getting hard carried by MM blessed teams, it would be even worse.

Actually, you'll need enough Free XP  to skip both the Pensa and the NO. Both ships are little more than floating citadels that our outmatched in their tiers, let alone uptiering. And just about everyone is well aware of this fact. If you get detected you will have 6+ ships targeting you in less than a second, since even BBs 20KM know that all it takes is one random shell hitting you pretty much anywhere on your ship to destroy you. Even DD guns can get citadel hits on you.

Rule number one in a Pensa or NO is realizing that you are a one hit/easy kill, and everyone knows it. With that in mind, here's how you play the Pensa. First, you don't. But if you have to, the first thing you should do is find a cozy little island nook far away from any hot zones and stay there. Only fire if you are absolutely sure no one else can possibly target you, because the will. Around mid game, you can start risking the occasional detection without getting instantly deleted. If there are still DDs around in the game you will need to be very cautious, since once again if you are detected even a Colorado in a brawl 16km will stop and try and take a shot at you. It's unlikely you'll make it to the end game, but if you do it's usually under three scenarios:

1. Your team kicked butt. If that is the case, feel free to help chase down any stragglers to increase silver and XP gains. You still have to be careful but the likelyhood of you being instantly deleted while someone is running for their life isn't nearly as great.

2. Your team got rolled, in which case you can either remain in hiding or expose yourself and die while valiantly trying to scratch someone's paint. And die you will since this tin foil wrapped turd can't take a stiff breeze.

3. Teams are about even. In that case, it's better to stay hidden as you only risk helping the enemy team by being a late game easy one shot kill.

In short, you don't play the Pensa. You park it somewhere and hope no one finds you.

[CUTER]
Beta Testers
197 posts

I have 20 battles played in my Pensacola and somehow is my best ship (with multiple games) according to its WTR. I recall playing her as a second line, AP spamming, WASD hacking piece of paper. Somehow that worked out for me. May be good to hug a waifu but I liked to sail around in the open and fire all ten guns at anything spotted.

[A-D-F]
Members
1,053 posts
8,053 battles

There are multiple theories on how to play Pensacola correctly.

None of them work miracles.

She really reminds me of Phoenix or St. Louis: You have to hug waifu, WASD hack, set up your escape before opening fire and always be ready to go silent while running for your life. All the while having a zen-like acceptance that to play her is to literally tango with the threat of instant deletion.

I think her real purpose in the game is  reinforce these lessons and as a mid tier "gatekeeper". Not to mention making the Nurnberg feel better about herself... 

Members
1,215 posts
3,177 battles

Don't get shot. I know it sounds stupid, but literally by staying alive you can do some good things in that ship. It's very fragile so make sure you use WASD hacks to prolong your torturous experience. Also, the AP is pretty good from what I have seen. Try to get citadels on enemy cruisers. Burn everything for easy damage. 

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
8,687 battles

As someone played few hundred games in pensacola pre and post buff.

The ship's complete crap. Don't bother. Even Cleveland, a ship tier lower, has higher damage output and Pensacola woul din fact dies to a cleveland if 1v1.