Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
temp1ar

Captains - switching between premium and regular ships

14 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

12
[YETI]
Members
105 posts
4,599 battles

I have a basic question about switching captains between premium and non-premium ships.    

I know that you can take a captain from a non premium ship and put them in a premium ship without re-training.  But do you still get this benefit if the captain goes from a premium to a non-premium?

for instance take a captain from an Arizona to a New Mexico.

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12
[YETI]
Members
105 posts
4,599 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

no

That's a bummer.

would have been nice if you didn't have to retrain for the same tier and ship class. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,725
[TBW]
Members
6,406 posts
12,050 battles
Just now, temp1ar said:

That's a bummer.

would have been nice if you didn't have to retrain for the same tier and ship class. :(

I wish that once trained in a ship that a captain could go back without penalty. I mean do they forget their training?

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,826
[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

Unfortunately  this can't be done.

However I think Once a commander reaches 19 pt status he should become a premium and be able to go to any ship for a one time free retrain*.

Retrain* once 19 pt captain,this captain can be placed on any ship regardless of where he came from including Nation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54
[WOLF5]
Members
277 posts
5,221 battles

No, you can only transfer between premium and non-premium without retraining if the captain is currently trained on the non-premium ship. 

It is not a big deal however, what you'll do is to transfer a captain from one non-premium to another non-premium ship, he will need certain XP to become competent again on the new ship.  What you then do, is to transfer that captain to a premium ship and gain the XP on the premium ship instead, it will count towards that new non-premium ship he just transferred to. Since premium ships gain more XP, your captain will be retrained quicker.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,373
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,868 posts
10,655 battles
31 minutes ago, temp1ar said:

I have a basic question about switching captains between premium and non-premium ships.    

I know that you can take a captain from a non premium ship and put them in a premium ship without re-training.  But do you still get this benefit if the captain goes from a premium to a non-premium?

for instance take a captain from an Arizona to a New Mexico.

Thanks.

As others have already said the answer is no. Best not to assign a Capt to a Premium ship specifically unless it is a unique ship and only a Capt on that ship will work. Assign them to standard ships and then they can be used on Premiums, and put back on the ship they came from, at no charge. 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
[LHG]
Members
1,656 posts
4,926 battles
24 minutes ago, temp1ar said:

I have a basic question about switching captains between premium and non-premium ships.    

I know that you can take a captain from a non premium ship and put them in a premium ship without re-training.  But do you still get this benefit if the captain goes from a premium to a non-premium?

for instance take a captain from an Arizona to a New Mexico.

Thanks.

Well it can happen, kind of.  

If the captain in question was already trained in the New Mexico, transferred to the Arizona and then back to the New Mexico, then you don't need to retrain them.  However if you transfer that same captain to any other non-premium ship from the Arizona other than the New Mexico, then the captain will need to retrain. 

If you're going to do the captain shuffling game and you have some tech tree ships you want to continue to play, it's probably a good idea to have at least one of your captains trained for that ship and that you use that captain only on premiums and that one tech tree ship. 


Best of luck.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12
[YETI]
Members
105 posts
4,599 battles

Thank you all for the info, finally understood now.   

Looks like I will have to pickup a Atago for my grind to Zao.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,338
[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,406 posts
3,583 battles
50 minutes ago, CLUCH_CARGO said:

Unfortunately  this can't be done.

However I think Once a commander reaches 19 pt status he should become a premium and be able to go to any ship for a one time free retrain*.

Retrain* once 19 pt captain,this captain can be placed on any ship regardless of where he came from including Nation.

if only.. but that would mean less $$ on Wg'ings part. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,273
[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles

Like my Warspite Captain I trained for Queen Elizabeth, so it can get daily XP bonus off Queen Elizabeth, then off Warspite, and also Duke of York. It works because the regular tech tree ship has the Captain trained for it, then it can go from there to any British Premium ship.

Now if you want a Captain to go back and forth between Arizona and New Mexico then get the Captain retrained for New Mexico, then you can have the Captain go back and forth between New Mexico and Arizona or any other Premium US ship as often as you want. But if you ever want that Captain on any other normal ship besides the New Mexico then the Captain will need to be retrained for that other ship instead.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33
[SPF]
Members
96 posts
9,424 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Like my Warspite Captain I trained for Queen Elizabeth, so it can get daily XP bonus off Queen Elizabeth, then off Warspite, and also Duke of York. It works because the regular tech tree ship has the Captain trained for it, then it can go from there to any British Premium ship.

Now if you want a Captain to go back and forth between Arizona and New Mexico then get the Captain retrained for New Mexico, then you can have the Captain go back and forth between New Mexico and Arizona or any other Premium US ship as often as you want. But if you ever want that Captain on any other normal ship besides the New Mexico then the Captain will need to be retrained for that other ship instead.

get a nelson and he will be really busy...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,273
[RKLES]
Members
7,214 posts
9,006 battles
1 hour ago, _Kaiser_Sose_ said:

get a nelson and he will be really busy...

Lol still need more Free XP for that one, but yeah the Captain would hit level 19 so quickly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×