Sign in to follow this  
Famous_and_Historical

I don't like the Conqueror

7 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
91 posts
5,037 battles

I finally have the Conqueror after grinding/free xp-ing the British line. I threw in about 250,000 free xp on the way just to upgrade ships and not have to play the Monarch for too long. I am not very impressed with the line. I really liked playing the KGV, but after that, the playstyle got stale. The Monarch was a downgrade from the KGV, but the Lion was refreshing to play after that awful ship. The problem that I had with the Lion and am still having with the Conqueror is my inability to have an impact early in the game. I really like the American cruisers because you can get out there and kill the DDs, which has a massive effect on the outcome of the battle. In the Conqueror, I am torn between trying to set BBs on fire the instant they are spotted or loading the AP and waiting for opportunities against cruisers. Usually with the latter strategy, I fire a couple of salvos against cruisers and then focus on burning BBs. The ship doesn’t seem to be very good at killing CAs because of the bad dispersion. It is very disappointing when you sneak up on a broadside cruiser and can’t seriously damage them with one salvo. A bad side effect of this is that it often puts me in a position where I can be focus fired by most of the enemy team. People seem to focus me down more often in the Conqueror than in the Montana, and this is often fatal because of the low hitpoint pool, long heal cooldown, and squishy deck armor. I usually live longer if I stay a little further back and focus on BBs, put this strategy also has serious flaws. Even with a ship like the Conqueror, BBs are very hard to kill quickly. If you are focusing a single BB with HE, it can take anywhere from 4-6 minutes to take them out of the fight. Unlike pyro cruisers, the long reload prohibits you from burning more than one or two (if you’re lucky) ships at a time. Cruisers like the Zao and Henri can stop enemy advances cold by setting 3-4 ships on fire at once, but the Conqueror’s relatively slow reload means that you can’t hold down an entire flank. The Conqueror’s lack of impact is huge problem for a solo player like me because most matches are decided within the first 5 minutes of fighting. I can’t count on division mates in cruisers and destroyers to help carry the team. The Conqueror can put up monster damage numbers, but the bulk of the damage comes when matches have already been decided. If anyone can convince me that this ship is worth playing without a division, have at it.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,026 posts
19,622 battles

Don't feel like HE is the only option against BBs.  You should be constantly switching.

Members
626 posts
1,630 battles
38 minutes ago, neworleanssaintsfan said:

I finally have the Conqueror after grinding/free xp-ing the British line. I threw in about 250,000 free xp on the way just to upgrade ships and not have to play the Monarch for too long. I am not very impressed with the line. I really liked playing the KGV, but after that, the playstyle got stale. The Monarch was a downgrade from the KGV, but the Lion was refreshing to play after that awful ship. The problem that I had with the Lion and am still having with the Conqueror is my inability to have an impact early in the game. I really like the American cruisers because you can get out there and kill the DDs, which has a massive effect on the outcome of the battle. In the Conqueror, I am torn between trying to set BBs on fire the instant they are spotted or loading the AP and waiting for opportunities against cruisers. Usually with the latter strategy, I fire a couple of salvos against cruisers and then focus on burning BBs. The ship doesn’t seem to be very good at killing CAs because of the bad dispersion. It is very disappointing when you sneak up on a broadside cruiser and can’t seriously damage them with one salvo. A bad side effect of this is that it often puts me in a position where I can be focus fired by most of the enemy team. People seem to focus me down more often in the Conqueror than in the Montana, and this is often fatal because of the low hitpoint pool, long heal cooldown, and squishy deck armor. I usually live longer if I stay a little further back and focus on BBs, put this strategy also has serious flaws. Even with a ship like the Conqueror, BBs are very hard to kill quickly. If you are focusing a single BB with HE, it can take anywhere from 4-6 minutes to take them out of the fight. Unlike pyro cruisers, the long reload prohibits you from burning more than one or two (if you’re lucky) ships at a time. Cruisers like the Zao and Henri can stop enemy advances cold by setting 3-4 ships on fire at once, but the Conqueror’s relatively slow reload means that you can’t hold down an entire flank. The Conqueror’s lack of impact is huge problem for a solo player like me because most matches are decided within the first 5 minutes of fighting. I can’t count on division mates in cruisers and destroyers to help carry the team. The Conqueror can put up monster damage numbers, but the bulk of the damage comes when matches have already been decided. If anyone can convince me that this ship is worth playing without a division, have at it.

I free XP's to Lion and didn't even play the Monarch(didn't have port slots left over to make it worth trying), thank you for making me feel like that was the right decision. Have played a few games with Lion and I largely agree, later in the game she is more effective because that HE spamming and HP regeneration makes it a nightmare when your opponents not at full health. I have also struggled against cruisers in Lion because their low reload time and ability to also HE spam makes the heal far less effective. I was fighting two injured cruisers my last time out, and I used my heal and they just kept HE pounding me(tbf I was fighting them with just the back turret was retreating trying to regain health) and were able to finish me off because the heal just got eaten up by the fires and constant hits. A Yamato or Montana wouldn't have been able to do what they did there due to simple ROF. With a BB, by the time they get their next chance to hit you that heal has already kicked in and they'll be most likely firing back with AP once every 30 seconds or so.  In terms of blasting cruisers with UK BB's, if you really want to obliterate cruisers, including T8's and T9's, I'd recommend Hood, it's like almost an automatic cruiser citadeling machine. Feel like the powerful HE UK BB's tend to be made to fight BB's while the QE/Warspite and Hood the ones with the powerful AP are the one's that are meant for blasting cruisers.

Edited by Aristotle83

Beta Testers
1,143 posts
3,273 battles

Not that I own a Conqueror, yet, but you might want to work on your HE-AP rotations and timings. It's more a "Cruiser" skillset but everything I hear about the RN BBs make me believe they are "Super-Cruisers" and will benefit from some of those strategies. 

The mindset of less attuned players will be that RN BBs only HE spam.. Which means they might be more inclined to open up their broadside to use their rear turrets more often. Leaving you good AP opportunities. 

There's also the 1x Fire rotation. Sure if you can force DCP you could set a run away fire with a follow-up salvo. But if you light 1 and leave it, they could let it burn out rather than DCP it; basically they're "holding it" until they see multiple fires on their ship which you're not actually intending on doing. 

The potential mind games you can play with an RN BB are quite vast..

Members
1,051 posts
4,647 battles

I just recently got my Conqueror, and I haven't had any issues with the ship.  I believe I am one of the few players who fire AP more than HE though.  I'm averaging 160k damage over my first 10 battles, so I must be doing something right.  You need to play a little more conservative in it than a traditional BB due to its lack of effective armor, but I have found no issues with it.  

[WOLF3]
Members
22,863 posts
20,784 battles

IMO, where Conqueror is at her best is late match.  When ships are battered, worn, having burned through their Repair Parties, their DCP possibly on CD, their HP pools reduced... This is where Conqueror puts the finishing grind on ships.

That Yamato, Montana, GK that is at half HP and 0 Repair Party left.

That Cruiser with 1/3 HP after hard fighting and no Repair Party left, if at all.

The DD down to a sliver of HP.

If Conqueror has someone spotting for her, her gunfire is absolutely dangerous late game because now those HE + Fire effects are no longer annoyances to pop DCP and recover your lost HP back with Repair Party.  The enemies may have very likely burned through those consumables already, and cannot afford taking those Conq HE salvos landing 2 fires.  A battered BB will struggle against that.  A battered Cruiser may not even survive the alpha strike.

It's the same thing KGV excels at.  Make the ship last in the game and those shells really take their toll later on as worn out ships are less and less capable of resisting and recovering from such attacks.

You get focused in Conqueror a lot because you are a threat.  Not only a threat, but a BB sized threat, so you're easier to hit than say, a Henri IV dancing at 19km.

As with a lot of ships, survival is paramount. 

w71MSRz.gif

The longer you survive, the more times you get to shoot.  The more times you shoot, the chances of good things happening for you and your team increase.  Manage your range & position with Conqueror, know when it's time to stop shooting and take advantage of that concealment and fade away, recover, and reposition.

Basically play her like a Cruiser.  You have to be paranoid about range and position.  A Conqueror caught out in a bad spot can go down very quickly.  This is especially true if you are not paying attention and thinking about enemy DD movements, or there are CVs in the game.  DDs & aircraft negate Conqueror's stealth advantage, which is a yooge part of her game.

Also a fair warning, just to be sure to cover a possible problem angle.  Be careful when fighting in short ranges and BBs are present.  You'll eat lots of pens and more importantly, if you're using 419mm guns, those are super squishy turrets and easy to knock out.  The closer the range, the easier it is for another BB to aim for and get your turrets.  RN BB 419mm turrets have the thinnest face armor in high tier, topped off with it being a vertical face.  A Cut & Paste from a different thread where I brought up turret faces.

Edit:  Another thing, if your range and aim is good enough, aim at Conqueror's turret faces.  They are quite prone to being knocked out.  They are 381mm and vertical, so they are quite vulnerable in a brawl setting if one is caught in that situation.  Montana's turret face is angled and at 457mm.  Montana can trade shots and knock Conq's guns out.

Yamato:  Angled turret face at 650mm.

GK:  Slightly angled at 400mm.

Conqueror:  419mm, vertical at 381mm 460mm, vertical at 456mm.  Conqueror's 457mm gun turret faces are tougher but almost nobody uses 457s.  When I play Conqueror, the turrets being ko'd are annoying.  It never happens to my Montana, Yamato.

It has to be emphasized, focus a Conqueror down when given the chance.  That low HP pool and long consumable CD is a weakness.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-TNT-]
Members
308 posts
13,856 battles

I feel very let down by Conqueror as well .419 is best option for me and over 100  dam ... And that suc?s we all grinded the Brit for the 457 s and even with 2.0 sigma on them.they don't do enough dam . Dispersion with 457 should be better  and so could sigma or ap speed . Those big bad guns should be sniper's ..but  they not ....

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this