Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Happy668

The frontier operation hard?

30 comments in this topic

[WOLF1]
Members
2,029 posts

first try failed

the operation got to have better description, the announcement need to mark on maps, no clue about the area it was talking about

[MIA-A]
Members
2,115 posts
6,769 battles
1 minute ago, Happy668 said:

first try failed

the operation got to have better description, the announcement need to mark on maps, no clue about the area it was talking about

... what are you trying to say?

[WOLF1]
Members
2,029 posts
Just now, enderland07 said:

... what are you trying to say?

how hard is it to get 5 star

the past 2 weeks operations were too easy, this one seems harder

[MIA-A]
Members
2,115 posts
6,769 battles
Just now, Happy668 said:

It's pretty easy to 5 star imo. Easier to lose though than some ops, but if you have 1-2 CAs who aren't idiots and a decent BB it's pretty ok.

[HINON]
Members
9,035 posts

I find many ships do really well on that OP. Last night I rocked it in the shiney horse.

Members
9,975 posts
13 minutes ago, Happy668 said:

If you have a team that has a clue, it's an easy 5 star.......

But if you have players going in blind and reading nothing about it.....welp....:Smile_teethhappy:

Tier 7's are harder, they are supposed to be.

Edited by awiggin

Members
333 posts
3,410 battles

Last night I got 5 stars in my Atlanta, and 4 in both the shiney horse and Colorado...I had always played as a cruiser before last night.  Slight learning curve playing in a BB, had to figure out where to be and when (especially in the Colorado, its so slow), so it's definitely something you can do with a few good ships that know what they are doing.

If on the other-hand you get potatoes that just sail out and sink it becomes a difficult very quickly.

[TBW]
Members
6,406 posts
12,050 battles

It's not really hard, it's just that people don't work together and go all John Wayne. Too often the BB's go north and attack Atlanta instead of helping the cruisers and destroyers take out the first wave of battle ships. The right team can win it just about every time with 5 stars.

Members
333 posts
3,410 battles
1 minute ago, Sovereigndawg said:

It's not really hard, it's just that people don't work together and go all John Wayne. Too often the BB's go north and attack Atlanta instead of helping the cruisers and destroyers take out the first wave of battle ships. The right team can win it just about every time with 5 stars.

Yeah, this is what I found out, the starting position at the other side of the map made me stop and think last night.  I had to figure out what to shoot with the Colorado, and in what order to target them.  It wasn't so hard with the Shinny horse, it can maneuver quicker and it turrets respond faster so not as many problems determining what to do next.  The only issue with it was the German dispersion on the guns at range.

Members
9,975 posts
7 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

One BB should go NW to kill the Atlanta and Omaha, but not over extend. As long as they can shoot, they should be able to handle him from a distance, and still be in range to help with the Cleveland and BB spawn.

[TBW]
Members
6,406 posts
12,050 battles
4 minutes ago, awiggin said:

One BB should go NW to kill the Atlanta and Omaha, but not over extend. As long as they can shoot, they should be able to handle him from a distance, and still be in range to help with the Cleveland and BB spawn.

Yes this does work too but going to far north or with too many bbs is not good. I know that I learned not to over extend when I am in a BB to the North East though. That Atlanta can wreak havoc on you if you are not careful. Some one does have to occupy him or he gets too many of the planes for sure.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,176 battles

This mission has some oddities.

one of the reason people dont get 5 stars is the red CV in the left bottom corner.

Sometimes, AI air squads will actually go and sink it for the players. Not sure what triggers that, but last night I played the mission with various ships, and in one of the game, the AI air squads made straight to the red CV after the secondary mission to sink it is announced and the AI air squads spotted it and sunk it.  Got a 5 star in that game.

In another match, the red objective CV actually charged straight towards us and it was sunk when it got too close.

But also sometimes that same CV will turn 180 and run down to the south border.

How does the AI work in missions?

Edited by NeutralState

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,733 battles
16 minutes ago, awiggin said:

The Cleveland is much easier killed coming in to the border with torpedoes/guns  from a Leningrad, which I've got down to doing 100% of the time. Last night I was experimenting on doing the same with Atlanta and managed to do it. Just need to see if it is repeatable or not. People really underestimate the power of destroyers in operations because they don't know how to use them. You only need one battleship to go north as insurance for the Atlanta, and honestly I've solo killed the Atlanta with a Leningrad using just guns when in a game with all random players and no one bothered to go after it.

[SYN]
Members
14,456 posts
10,465 battles
10 minutes ago, Lightninger said:

The Cleveland is much easier killed coming in to the border with torpedoes/guns  from a Leningrad, which I've got down to doing 100% of the time. Last night I was experimenting on doing the same with Atlanta and managed to do it. Just need to see if it is repeatable or not. People really underestimate the power of destroyers in operations because they don't know how to use them. You only need one battleship to go north as insurance for the Atlanta, and honestly I've solo killed the Atlanta with a Leningrad using just guns when in a game with all random players and no one bothered to go after it.

hmm, that's an interesting tactic

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,733 battles
1 minute ago, MrDeaf said:

hmm, that's an interesting tactic

The Leningrad is actually a very powerful pick for this operation for competent destroyer players. It has the speed to criss cross the map more than a few times and address problems/emergencies when your teammates decide to go off and do their own thing ignoring what you are supposed to be doing. If your teammates are competent and doing the right things, you are additional insurance but when they are fooling around or the spawns makes things difficult for them (i.e. Colorado as 2nd air target), you can go in and make sure it gets done.

[SF-A]
Members
2,895 posts
5,707 battles

All of the operations are very easy. If the team focuses on the objectives near to them and stay alive without making stupid mistakes, the mission is very easy to get 5 stars in.

Members
18,249 posts
5,219 battles
1 hour ago, awiggin said:

I've only played it once with a BB, using Gneisenau, and that's what I did, except killed the Cleve first.

Lost barely any HP on that side of the map, but ended up having to cross the map to get the CV.

Was a glorious YOLO rush, ended up demolishing the CV with secondaries, while the other ships pelted me. After the CV was down, I pulled a 180 and got the heck out of Dodge, having lost 50% of my HP in about 90 seconds lol.

Members
9,975 posts
1 hour ago, Lightninger said:

They don't underestimate them, it's just that most players running dd's in a scenario seem to be doing it to learn dd's, and they usually DIAF.....:Smile_teethhappy:

Honestly, assuming decent shooters the cruisers should be able to wipe the Cleveland in short order, he presents full broadside to them.

[APOC]
Members
637 posts
11,733 battles
2 minutes ago, awiggin said:

They don't underestimate them, it's just that most players running dd's in a scenario seem to be doing it to learn dd's, and they usually DIAF.....:Smile_teethhappy:

Honestly, assuming decent shooters the cruisers should be able to wipe the Cleveland in short order, he presents full broadside to them.

One other problem is people will bring DDs which generally don't work very well for operations as well. I see the occasional IJN DD in operations which are terrible and are almost always at the bottom of the team even if they manage to survive. USN DDs with their terrible gun arcs are also very much not optimal as well as often you are shooting things at distance. It's actually not a bad place to practice your Soviet DD play, but it definitely should not be the first place you are trying them.

Define short order, because I can kill the Cleveland really quickly with the method I just gave, which works basically 100% of the time.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,348 posts
9,543 battles

Russian and German DD's can work ok, depending on the operation.

For Battleships, for some operation's, fast ones are a great help, and slow ones are a boat anchor for the team. For other ops, speed doesn't matter.

Cruisers all pretty much work well, I don't think there's a bad cruiser for operations.

All CV's work well enough in operations, and you'll get good practice for some of the carrier duties in PvP.

I used to think that Ultimate Frontier was hard, but I guess enough players learned it so that's no longer the case.

[WOLF5]
Members
277 posts
5,219 battles

Hello fellow Wolf.

What ship(s) are you playing with?  Fast sailing, Long ranged cruisers with fast firing guns usually work best to finish that mission of killing 2 ships targeted by the bot air planes.  I find a Pensacola firing AP shells pretty useful for this.

It'll take a while to get used to the map, just keep playing it and you'll soon get the hang of it.  So long as you don't go totally potato such as parking in the repair zone and not helping, you'll get 5 stars when you get a team of more seasoned players.  And I've noticed that players are getting very good with scenarios too, some of their marksmanship and torpedo skill is really something to see, sinking bots left and right like its nothing.

[-AGW-]
Members
668 posts
9,499 battles

It's funny trying to shoot the Cleveland when he's still on the other side of the map line. You can do it but you have to aim much higher.

I found Gneisenau and Fiji work really well in this scenario.

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts

I say no but I just started playing operations coming from PVP they are very simple to beat.

[SYN]
Members
14,456 posts
10,465 battles

Nelson works very well for the southern side

Scharnhorst is for north

Fiji is probably the best cruiser to bring.

Sign in to follow this