Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Seniorious

Don't dismiss your AP in USN destroyers

8 comments in this topic

[B2P]
Members
248 posts
5,761 battles

JFEXzKr.jpg

PNXeobv.jpg

Don't think your AP is worthless, if cruisers get too close and too anxious, they will eat citadels and you can out DPM them, as shown here. A De Grasse tried to rush me and showed a little too much of his side, and I was able to gun him down before he could finish me off. Needlessly to say, he and another were flabbergasted I was able to.

• Cool 5

[USCN]
Beta Testers
2,830 posts
23,480 battles

When they show me their Broadside AP shells here I come as a dd player

[RKLES]
Members
10,984 posts
12,551 battles

Yeah all my BBs use AP primarily, and my CAs use it a fair amount too. Only ships I keep HE all the time in is DDs since usually just have to kill another DD in those or soften up a BB superstructure with DD guns while the Torps travel in.

Will have to give the AP a try in DDs I guess lol.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[-GPS-]
Members
2,878 posts
32,250 battles

German BBs have lots of superstructure to naw on. I try to set fires first and only after 2 are going switch to AP.  

A Tashkent rushed my Chung Mu (Fletcher) yesterday and opened up to bring all guns to bear. He started with more HP and died quickly. 

[WK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
952 posts
12,607 battles

Use AP against broadside BB's as well.  Just aim for the nose, tail and above their heavy armor and you'll be scoring some very nice damage a salvo.  MO in Narai as an example, my Sims can do 2-4k a salvo hitting her in one of these 3 spots.  Close range of course. :Smile_teethhappy:

[CAST]
Members
4,774 posts
3,337 battles

If a target is broadside, I find it much easier to have steady good damage with AP than HE. HE is nice for setting fires, especially if you have Demolition Expert, and it's certainly the only usable one against an angled target as even bow on DDs will bounce DD AP. But if you see a BB showing a flat broadside, *especially* German BBs who's armor everywhere can often shatter HE shells, start chucking AP at their upper belt and superstructure. It adds up fast. And if you see a cruiser showing flat broadside up close, you can absolutely pump out a steady string of citadels that will kill them much faster than they can do to you and your complete lack of one.

Sign in to follow this