You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Darkest Hour Movie

10 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
11,016 posts
12,551 battles

Wondering what everyone's thoughts are on the Darkest Hour Movie?

My personal thoughts are that it's an awesome movie and they did very good job on it. Great Leaders like Winston Churchill are often  controversial because they are not afraid to be bold, get the job done, and speak the truth. So when they are in power people will have mixed opinions about them, but when history is written and people look back on such individuals, what they did, said, and the results they often will get their well deserved admiration and respect.

• Cool 3

[USCN]
Beta Testers
2,836 posts
23,539 battles

A great movie of a man resisting Nazi  Germany at the beginning of the war alone in his country . I read his Biography back in junior high school many years ago a very thick hard cover book from the library . You know he lived well into his mid ninety's......... 

[WOLF9]
Privateers
11,902 posts
4,602 battles

I like Winston's books.  (He won the Nobel Prize for Literature in 1953.)  Haven't read his history of his ancestor, The Duke of Marlborough, arguably the greatest military hero in English history. Or his history of WWII.  But his A History of the English-Speaking Peoples is terrific.  These works are long (4, 6, and 4 volumes respectively) but are concise and good reads.

If you still read, highly recommended.

Edited by iDuckman

[REVY]
Members
6,291 posts
5,164 battles

I skipped it because I was swarmed with trailers of Gary Oldman shouting over the top, and I'm not interested in a movie about Churchill's loudest moments.  I actually want to see a movie about Neville Chamberlain, the guy who took the British to war.  Nobody but scholars ever talk about him critically.

Edited by Sventex

[RKLES]
Members
11,016 posts
12,551 battles
36 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I skipped it because I was swarmed with trailers of Gary Oldman shouting over the top, and I'm not interested in a movie about Churchill's loudest moments.  I actually want to see a movie about Neville Chamberlain, the guy who took the British to war.  Nobody but scholars ever talk about him critically.

Movie did have a couple of the loud moments, but also a lot of his quieter moments as well.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
11,902 posts
4,602 battles
5 hours ago, Sventex said:

I skipped it because I was swarmed with trailers of Gary Oldman shouting over the top, and I'm not interested in a movie about Churchill's loudest moments.

You put your nubby finger right on it.  The trailer turned me off with its histrionics.  I'll probably see it at the dollar theater at some point, but I already know the story.