Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
awiggin

Has the game become too disk intensive?

11 comments in this topic

[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts

I finally broke down and dropped an SSD in my system. After a few false clone starts, I got it installed and have to admit, it's a significant difference.

Once thing I've noticed is that much of the stuttering in game recently seems to be pretty much gone. I'd actually tried turning down graphics some, but that really didn't seem to help much.

Now my HD was an older SATA 7200 rpm 1TB, but wasn't having significant stuttering until the last few updates. Still checks perfectly healthy, but is now reformatted as storage.

So that got me wondering, is the game becoming too disk intensive as they push for more detail? 

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

You really shouldn't be working off a magnetic disk for anything where you care about performance.  SSD is a massive difference.

[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts
3 minutes ago, Grizley said:

You really shouldn't be working off a magnetic disk for anything where you care about performance.  SSD is a massive difference.

Well, just surprising that this game would require that much disk i/o. It's possible that the HD is starting to go south, but it shows no signs so far,

I mean we are talking about a game that's based in Russia, and has a larger audience there.....I'm doubting the average potato/computer is running an SSD. :Smile_teethhappy:

[NMKJT]
Members
4,027 posts

Gamers use SSD at a higher rate I would bet as it reduces lag. A lot of the choppiness comes from the disk, which is evident when you switch to SSD. It's like night and day

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,257 posts

Most systems nowadays have more than enough RAM to keep disk access to a minimum. Unfortunately, for backwards compatibility most games are still 32-bit. It doesn't matter if you have a system with 16 to 62 GB of RAM, a 32-bit game is still going to access the drive as it swaps information into and out of its addressable memory space of less than 4 GB. This is why an SSD works well. A 256 GB SSD is reasonably priced. I use mine for the OS, an office suite, and this game. I archive everything else on an HDD. 

Edited by Snargfargle

[WOLF7]
Members
12,298 posts
1 minute ago, Snargfargle said:

Most systems nowadays have more than enough RAM to keep disk access to a minimum. Unfortunately, for backwards compatibility most games are still 32-bit. It doesn't matter if you have a system with 16 to 62GB of RAM, a 32-bit game is still going to access the drive as it swaps information into and out of its addressable memory space of less than 4GB. This is why an SSD works well. A 256GB SSD is reasonably priced. I use mine from the OS, an office suite, and this game. I archive everything else on an HDD. 

I got a 480 for $110, plenty of room for all the essentials.

[TBW]
Members
8,921 posts
15,885 battles

If you play games on PC you do the easiest cheapest thing to make the play more enjoyable and an SSD makes the whole computer enjoyable. I can't imagine getting booted from a battle and not having an SSD to get back in quick. Which might explain all of the AFK threads recently. Sometimes I can even get back in to battle before it starts after game freeze. Which usually happens when I am in a division. If it wasn't for my SSD, I would have sent in a ticket about it long ago. With the SSD it's more of an inconvenience than a game changer. For me the game is dependent on an SSD.

[DPG]
Members
1,749 posts
7,804 battles

I've had WoWs on an SSD and a mechanical drive.  On the mechanical drive I kept getting a total game freeze.  Sometimes it would free up and then I would be sailing at 70 kts.  Other times I would get booted back to the log in screen.  SSD is definitely the way to go.

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
13 minutes ago, admiral_noone said:

I have a powerful laptop but still a laptop, so I can’t plug in an SSD

If it doesn't have a SSD then it's not a powerful laptop.  But you can add an SSD to pretty much anything.

I'm guessing not an Apple.  I'm not sure you can even buy one with a magnetic disk.  In that case a little bit of trivial tinkering will hook you up. 

Sign in to follow this