Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Chrifister

MM balance issues

7 comments in this topic

Members
330 posts
4,014 battles

Lots of weird balancing tonight which just highlights the issue or lack of effort in balancing matches. In fact on the front page right now is a thread about balancing radar and DDs. Now that we have quite a large number of ships, we need to start balancing types of ships instead of ships themselves. The issue is most apparent when a new line of ships is released.

1) As stated above, radar still needs to be balanced properly. It's not unusual to have multiple ships with radar on one side and one or none on the other. The last couple of high tier games I've played had this imbalance, in fact one game had 2 ships hiding behind islands taking turns with radar in a DD heavy match. Think 1 of them was a MK.

2) I think DD types need to be balanced. Nothing like a team of pan-asian vs USN and Russian DDs. Yeah, no fun.

3) BB types and this has always existed with the long range IJN vs shorter range USN but with the various islands on the map this wasn't such an issue. Now we have UK BBs that are not really true BBs (Scharnhorst also comes to mind). They lack any ability to penetrate with AP and have to rely on HE to do damage. So essentially they are support BBs and can't go one on one with a BB that can penetrate. Again that's fine except when you get into a game with all UK BBs on one side and normal BBs on the other. Essentially support ships vs capital ships. The lolpens are just ridiculous. For example, my KGV took 3 citadels at a weird angle from a Texas last match. I dished out some sweet revenge to the tune of 4k damage from my HE (that I had loaded for a pesky DD), oh yeah! Fun fact, in a UK BB I've found the most effective way to deal with normal BBs at the end of a match is to ram them.

4) AA platforms have never been balanced as far as I know. I've been lucky lately to not have to deal with many CVs but am still seeing AA capable ships vs less-than-stellar AA ships. This can lead to matches where it's like shooting fish in a barrel for the CV and just frustrating for the other team. Oh and for the record, "grouping" up AA from multiple ships does not technically make the AA "stronger", all it does is add more separate AA calculations per second for that squadron of planes. On the high end this could mean more than one plane shot down every second but on the lower end, below a certain rating so your AA is useless, "grouping" up does nothing. In this game since AA doesn't combine and there's no persistent damage for planes, crappy AA + crappy AA just means 2 crappy AA rolls of the dice every second and still 0 planes shot down. This is like buying a lottery ticket and then getting your friend to buy a ticket for another lottery. Yes you've technically increased your nearly zero chance of the pair of you winning a lottery but it's not by any amount that's significant. You could have 50 friends do the same thing and you still haven't increased your chances enough to be considered significant. Seems AA needs to be around the 30 range before planes can be shot down. This begs the question of why ships even have AA if its not strong enough to actually shoot down a plane? What does the Blys have? Something like a 6 rating? What's the point?

5) This may be up for debate but I really don't think giving an uneven number of certain ship types even though the tiers work out is fair. Examples are an extra BB on one side vs an extra CA on the other, or extra DD vs extra CA. The type of that ship can make it even worse, like if it's an AA platform in a CV game or an extra radar ship in a heavy DD game.

• Cool 1

Members
330 posts
4,014 battles

Well the devs do listen to us, well kind of. Probably only if enough threads of a certain topic keep showing up. I know they've tweaked MM a bunch of times but there are still areas for improvement.

The whole tier 4 restriction is still questionable because they've essentially made tier 5 almost constant low tier in battles.

I do understand the need for perfect balance vs wait times to get into a match but there should be at least some restrictions to prevent extremely lopsided balancing.

[NMKJT]
Members
4,027 posts

I don't see any of these issues as an MM issue at all. If there were better ship balancing this wouldn't be an issue. Give us better balanced ships. 

[PVE]
Members
3,974 posts
22,322 battles
1 hour ago, Chrifister said:

The whole tier 4 restriction is still questionable because they've essentially made tier 5 almost constant low tier in battles.

As there's more XP to be gained from damaging higher tiered ships the T4 restriction kinda helps in keeping new players in T4 longer so they can get more practice before getting to higher tiers.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,708 posts
22,019 battles
11 minutes ago, Destroyer_Suzukaze said:

I don't see any of these issues as an MM issue at all. If there were better ship balancing this wouldn't be an issue. Give us better balanced ships. 

The problem is that ships are balanced by tier not by what ships they may meet in battle. The Omaha is quite a good ship fighting other tier 5's (for instance), but when you toss tier 7's in the mix, notsomuch.

Edited by Taylor3006

[BOTES]
Members
2,050 posts
7,358 battles

Ditto on 1 and 2. These are massive issues that really aren't spoken of much, especially DD nation balancing.

ex. 2 Yuugumos and 2 Fletchers in queue. Both teams get 1 of each.

Some people have said MM still does this, but the more I play VMF DD, the less I've seen it. The inability to cap properly puts your team at a massive disadvantage. Even worse, this can happen when the reds get 1 more DD than you so you're at a functional and numerical disadvantage.

Sign in to follow this