You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mik6669

Yet another game where I'm a 7 in a 7-8-9

24 comments in this topic

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
203 posts
11,018 battles

So, when you're a low tier ship in a hi tier match do you:

1. [edited] and complain about the MM and then post about it?

2. Give up and YOLO?

3. Sit at the back?

4. Show those Tier 9s that the 7s can carry the match?

Never give up and just enjoy the game. 

World of Warships 2018-02-22 9_09_03 PM.png

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,176 battles

If you are a cruiser or a pre high speed BB, or even a down tiered CV, the complain is understandable, but as a DD, your torps and stealth are still extremely effective as a force equalizer. Why complain?

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,837 posts
11,180 battles

You would be amazed how many times I've seen the lower tier ship on top of the list, even if they're dead, you have to learn to read the situation go with the stronger force so your one of many to shoot and play your ship better, 

[H-W-C]
Members
1,262 posts
3,355 battles

There's a Pensacola and a Yorck up there? 

*clap clap clap clap clap*

Members
417 posts

My suggestion is to open a document and start keeping track of what tiers you actually wind up playing. Hindsight bias is going to kick into full gear when you are T7 against a T9, but there typically is a much better distribution when you actually count things up.

That being said, now that WOW is pulling in 16k players a night, you'd think that there would be more +1/-1. 

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,811 posts
9,869 battles

wait till you are a t8 in a t8 t9 t10 match, landed full torp into the Yamato and a couple of HE fire to other high tier bb and at the end earned massive credits and freeXP.

If you cant deal with it, grow some balls as this is what the game developer made.

:Smile_popcorn:

Beta Testers
400 posts
9,366 battles

Top tier/Bottom tier in a DD makes no difference you are still effective.

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
15 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

If you are a cruiser or a pre high speed BB, or even a down tiered CV, the complain is understandable, but as a DD, your torps and stealth are still extremely effective as a force equalizer. Why complain?

I see it a bit differently.  Oh, mind you, I understand the difficulties of being bottom tier as you point out.  But the problem isn't always MM (not that you said that, I know).

Let's look at the thing about low speed USN BBs in relation to all other BBs.  Looking at the new French line of BBs that are coming out, we have BBs that have been giving very a-historical high speeds, particularly at tiers 6 and 7.  WW1 BBs (or BB designs) that would have most likely had speeds in the low 20's ending up with speeds in the high 20's.  This is rather ridiculous.  I can understand that perhaps WG wanted to give them more speed, but that level of speed in fiction refits of never built ships is rather ridiculous.  Mid 20's would have been more realistic, I'm thinking.

But then you look at the tier 6 and 7 USN BBs.  have they been given a-historical speed buffs?  No.  If anything, they've been screwed out of their historical speeds by having their as built speeds be their fully upgraded speeds.  What needs to happen is to have the stock speeds of the New Mex and Colorado be set to their fully upgraded speeds, and then create a fictional engine refit to buff their speed up to around the mid-20's. (I'd also apply this to the Arizona.)  This would go a long ways to address the speed problems those USN BBs have.  They don't have to be the fastest.  And even with speeds in the mid 20's, they might still be the slowest BBs at their tiers.  But at least their speeds would be a good deal more competitive when they're not top tier.

As for  DDs, their problem is different.  Their problems stem ENTIRELY from the presence of the tier 8 concealment upgrade module.  My long standing opinion is that that upgrade module should be removed from the game, along with the tier 9 gun range enhancing upgrade module.  IMO, those 2 upgrade modules are game "breaking".  They destroy the natural, gentle progression of concealment and gun range values from tier to tier with a massive buff from an upgrade module.  Remove the concealment upgrade module, and the difference between, say, the Mahan and Benson would be a gentle, reasonable improvement, not a massive change where the Benson utterly outclasses the Mahan in concealment.

As for cruisers, I'm not sure that the problem is that big a deal, unless you're a tier 7 in a tier 9 battle where you're stuck having to face cruisers that may have both the tier 8 concealment module and the tier 9 gun range enhancing module.  I ground through the tier 7 French cruiser Algerie amazingly easily because it's IMO a fine cruiser, which I like a LOT more than the tier 8 Martel.  I think that a big reason I like the Algerie a lot more than the Martel is its 4x2 turret layout is more flexible for long range kiting than a 3x3 ABX layout where 2/3'd of the guns are up front and harder to get into action when in a stern chase while kiting.  In cruisers, at least for me, I generally find that if I have good long range, I can kite and HE spam effectively, and be useful even in tier 9 battles.  I do find the IJN cruisers more difficult to use because their 8" guns have rather weak range IMO, which makes them a lot more difficult to use as long range kiters.  This is a big reason IMO that the Atago is so difficult to use when not top tier.  Everything else about her is fine.

Members
4,826 posts
5,599 battles
30 minutes ago, NeutralState said:

To be fair, T7 DDs are in an awkward spot. T8+ DDs get the concealment module, making them stealthier than you, and many are faster as well. T6 DDs are, in general, stealthier than T7 DDs, though they're not necessarily faster.

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
11 minutes ago, hexeris said:

Top tier/Bottom tier in a DD makes no difference you are still effective.

Not true.  If you're bottom tier in a tier 8, it's mostly all good because everyone can have the concealment upgrade module.  But if you're a tier 6 or 7 in a tier 8 battle (or a tier 7 in a tier 9 battle), you won't have the concealment upgrade and you will be facing some DDs that do.  And that makes a HUGE difference.

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,758 posts
4,574 battles

I get +2'd all the time in my Marblehead...with carrier captain in it (nothing helps outside of CE)...

Nothing I can do but burn down ships...

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
203 posts
11,018 battles
13 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

To be fair, T7 DDs are in an awkward spot. T8+ DDs get the concealment module, making them stealthier than you, and many are faster as well. T6 DDs are, in general, stealthier than T7 DDs, though they're not necessarily faster.

I had to start off the round going 1-on-1 with an HSF Harekaze. He was able to spot me long before I could him. Ended up losing half my health before I topped him. Only 1 tier, but he had a significant detection buffer. 

[HINON]
Members
9,037 posts

Hmm seems few people read the post and actually looked at the screenshot. Well done to the T7's in that match.

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
19 minutes ago, pyantoryng said:

I get +2'd all the time in my Marblehead...with carrier captain in it (nothing helps outside of CE)...

Nothing I can do but burn down ships...

Same here.  And yet, if you actually know what you're doing in a Marblehead/Murmansk/Omaha, you can be very effective in tier 7 battles.  I try my best to stay away from the tier 7 BBs and CA's.  Atlantas are only scary if you let them get into gun range.  Pensacolas can ruin your day with their nasty AP shells.  But over all, if you're cautious and pick your spots, hang back and try to use terrain when possible, you can do well in these ships.

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
3 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Hmm seems few people read the post and actually looked at the screenshot. Well done to the T7's in that match.

Well, gee whiz.  The OP happened to be in one of the really great tier 7 BBs that actually can be nasty when bottom tier and had a great game.  Good for him.  I've been there and done that in my own KGV.  It's a particularly good ship when bottom tier because you can play like a kiting cruiser with that great HE, and then switch over to being a more traditional BB when the situation warrants it.  IMO, nothing he said was "news".  Now, if he'd done this is in a tier 7 cruiser, it'd have been a TON more impressive.

1 hour ago, Mik6669 said:

So, when you're a low tier ship in a hi tier match do you:

1. [edited] and complain about the MM and then post about it?

2. Give up and YOLO?

3. Sit at the back?

4. Show those Tier 9s that the 7s can carry the match?

Never give up and just enjoy the game. 

World of Warships 2018-02-22 9_09_03 PM.png

Nice bottom tier game in a great tier 7 BB.  :cap_like:

[HINON]
Members
9,037 posts
5 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Well, gee whiz.  The OP happened to be in one of the really great tier 7 BBs that actually can be nasty when bottom tier and had a great game.  Good for him.  I've been there and done that in my own KGV.  It's a particularly good ship when bottom tier because you can play like a kiting cruiser with that great HE, and then switch over to being a more traditional BB when the situation warrants it.  IMO, nothing he said was "news".  Now, if he'd done this is in a tier 7 cruiser, it'd have been a TON more impressive.

Nice bottom tier game in a great tier 7 BB.  :cap_like:

The op was in the shiratsuyu. 5 of the top 6 on his team were T7's and look the 2nd place finisher is in the pepsi cola.

Edited by RipNuN2

[SALVO]
Members
17,080 posts
17,754 battles
17 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

The op was in the shiratsuyu. 5 of the top 6 on his team were T7's and look the 2nd place finisher is in the pepsi cola.

Oops.  My bad.

Members
4,826 posts
5,599 battles
37 minutes ago, Mik6669 said:

I had to start off the round going 1-on-1 with an HSF Harekaze. He was able to spot me long before I could him. Ended up losing half my health before I topped him. Only 1 tier, but he had a significant detection buffer. 

He wasn't a very smart Harekaze player then. Any Harekaze worth their salt would have either killed you outright with the nasty RoF on the 100mm guns, or shadowed you with that top notch stealth until his team killed you.

[HINON]
Supertester
19,235 posts
12,772 battles

Nobody ever posts a thread where they complain about being a tier 9 in a tier 7 - 9 match.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
6,104 posts
5,104 battles
6 minutes ago, Lert said:

Nobody ever posts a thread where they complain about being a tier 9 in a tier 7 - 9 match.

You can always start one.

[CLAN]
Beta Testers
203 posts
11,018 battles
9 minutes ago, Lert said:

If anyone should it’s the person playing the Iowa in my OP.