Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

9 comments in this topic

[RLGN]
Members
12,319 posts
22,076 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Hood's guns are traditional like Warspite.  AP.

Personally still prefer HE when I know I’ll need to smash torpies.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
22,106 battles
15 minutes ago, AdmBilgeWater said:

Ok simple question: Does the advice to use HE in the UK BB line also apply to Hood and Duke of York?

Hood use AP liberally, DoY if you switch to AP your high drunk or both. DoY gets the special HE, Hood does not.

[ARP2]
Members
1,368 posts
3,638 battles
1 hour ago, IronMike11B4O said:

Hood use AP liberally, DoY if you switch to AP your high drunk or both. DoY gets the special HE, Hood does not.

Guess I've been drunk or high or both every time I've played Duke of York.  I never load HE except against DDs or those boring bow campers.

• Cool 1

[CNO]
Members
5,241 posts
16,466 battles

With a few exceptions, I run AP on Hood all the time.  With a few more exceptions, I also run AP on DoY, KGV, and even Nelson.  Based on my reads on this forum, I get the feeling I'm an exception to most player's preferences.  I like RN AP.  

[CAST]
Members
4,808 posts
3,359 battles

Hood's AP is ... speshul.

See, it doesn't have the fab HE found on QE or Monarch, but it's AP is also not standard AP, instead using the low fuse found on regular RN battleships, but with the USN CA favorable auto bounce angles. But also the absolutely worst pen value of any BB shell not only at tier 7, but also tier 6. And it's guns are not terribly accurate, although the plunging fire helps with vertical dispersion.

In the end, you never ever want to aim at the waterline against other battleships. The shells will shatter. Period. BUT ... if you aim at their upper belts, you will get steady consistent damage in the 7 to 10k range with each salvo if RNG doesn't take a dump on you. That being said, the plunging shells and weaker pen actually makes this ship pretty evil against broadside cruisers as you're more likely to land citadels than overpens.

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles
13 hours ago, Hatework said:

Guess I've been drunk or high or both every time I've played Duke of York.  I never load HE except against DDs or those boring bow campers.

Same. Play the Duke last night in the OP and didn’t fire one shot of HE. The bot BBs stayed broadside to me all night, won’t shoot HE at cruisers, and was willing to shoot not-optimal ammo at DDs.

Sign in to follow this