You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

12 comments in this topic

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles

I noticed something a while back when I had Nagato, shells that couldn't have possible had a shell velocity higher than 800m/s went 20km in 12 seconds, which is simply impossible with that initial shell velocity, let alone drag.

I later noticed the same thing with torpedoes (on top of the unrealistically high speed) and aircraft (which had an unrealistically low speed)*. I understand this is for balancing purposes, and to make a game not last an hour. What I want to know, is what is the speed modifier, from observation it is a x3 multiplier (which would put planes at about realistic top speed), but my observation could be wrong.

Then I noticed, the same thing applied to the very ships we were driving, a ship went its own length much faster than it should. Yamato for example (pts testing) goes about 30 miles per hour, meaning it does a mile in 2 minutes, or about 6 times its length. That means that it should do 1 length in 20 seconds, in game, it clearly goes much faster than that (it seemed to be closer to 6.5 seconds), or about a 3x multiplier. 

The F8F though, by this calculation would go 132 knots, quite far from what it is in game.

Thoughts? Knowledge? Other Experiments?

*For reference, the TBD devastator goes about 180 knots, near the speed of the fastest planes in the game.

[SYN]
Members
14,451 posts
10,440 battles

5.25 time/distance compression

[B2P]
Members
512 posts
13,634 battles
3 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

What is the airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow?

African or European?

• Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
17,053 posts
17,692 battles
38 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

... What?... I dunno...

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles
1 hour ago, GabeTheDespot said:

I noticed something a while back when I had Nagato, shells that couldn't have possible had a shell velocity higher than 800m/s went 20km in 12 seconds, which is simply impossible with that initial shell velocity, let alone drag.

I later noticed the same thing with torpedoes (on top of the unrealistically high speed) and aircraft (which had an unrealistically low speed)*. I understand this is for balancing purposes, and to make a game not last an hour. What I want to know, is what is the speed modifier, from observation it is a x3 multiplier (which would put planes at about realistic top speed), but my observation could be wrong.

Then I noticed, the same thing applied to the very ships we were driving, a ship went its own length much faster than it should. Yamato for example (pts testing) goes about 30 miles per hour, meaning it does a mile in 2 minutes, or about 6 times its length. That means that it should do 1 length in 20 seconds, in game, it clearly goes much faster than that (it seemed to be closer to 6.5 seconds), or about a 3x multiplier. 

The F8F though, by this calculation would go 132 knots, quite far from what it is in game.

*For reference, the TBD devastator goes about 180 knots, near the speed of the fastest planes in the game.

I've played two games with you, each time you were full on [edited] afk

• Funny 1

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles
25 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

I've played (only) two games with you, each time you were full on [edited] afk

Name the games, I will give you a reason if you have any problems, than take it up with me in a message, as I ONLY have reasonable explanations for being AFK, if it was in Roon, it was because I had to leave due to last minute scheduling changes. Not everyone playing this game is a 30+ year old adult, or even 16+.

Bad luck, I guess, because I have been AFK until dead only about 19 times, most of which were connectivity issues.

If you have problems with me, don't be salty in my forum posts, if you have problems with my views on warships, then that is worth arguing over.

P.S. the "only" in parentheses is the edit to show what the problem with your statement is.

Edited by GabeTheDespot
emphasis and correction

Members
2,557 posts
12,419 battles
3 minutes ago, GabeTheDespot said:

Name the games, I will give you a reason if you have any problems, than take it up with me in a message, as I ONLY have reasonable explanations for being AFK, if it was in Roon, it was because I had to leave due to last minute scheduling changes. Not everyone playing this game is a 30+ year old adult, or even 16+.

Bad luck, I guess, because I have been AFK until dead only about 19 times, most of which were connectivity issues.

well my bad luck for getting 2 of 19 games.

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles
1 minute ago, Sweetsie said:

well my bad luck for getting 2 of 19 games.

I guess, and seriously, I am not AFK most games (or even 3% of my games). I repeat,

I am not AFK most games.

[SYN]
Members
4,546 posts
11,437 battles
1 hour ago, GabeTheDespot said:

The world environment in the game is out of scale to the ships.  Ships in this game are far larger than they should be compared to the world around them.  Movement and gun ballistics are relative to the ships, so shells appear to travel much faster across the world and ships accumulate mileage much more rapidly than they would if they were properly scaled.

This is a legacy of the old pre-release version of the game where all objects and land masses in the game was properly scaled.  Relative to the environment around them, ships were roughly half the size they are now, so the maps appeared a lot bigger.  Correspondingly, engagement ranges and ballistic flight times were longer than what they are now.

CV aircraft is another matter altogether.  The game doesn't simulate or model aircraft performance or scale.  Look at "aircraft" in this game as simply an object oriented expedient that allows a CV player to dynamically select probability-of-hit zones on the map.  The aircraft you and I see is just an animation script associated with that object.  They have absolutely nothing to do with how airplanes actually perform.

• Cool 1

[-BSS-]
Members
484 posts
2,927 battles
1 minute ago, Kuckoo said:

The world environment in the game is out of scale to the ships.  Ships in this game are far larger than they should be compared to the world around them.  Movement and gun ballistics are relative to the ships, so shells appear to travel much faster across the world and ships accumulate mileage much more rapidly than they would if they were properly scaled.

This is a legacy of the old pre-release version of the game where all objects and land masses in the game was properly scaled.  Relative to the environment around them, ships were roughly half the size they are now, so the maps appeared a lot bigger.  Correspondingly, engagement ranges and ballistic flight times were longer than what they are now.

CV aircraft is another matter altogether.  The game doesn't simulate or model aircraft performance or scale.  Look at "aircraft" in this game as simply an object oriented expedient that allows a CV player to dynamically select probability-of-hit zones on the map.  The aircraft you and I see is just an animation script associated with that object.  They have absolutely nothing to do with how airplanes actually perform.

I didn't exist in the pre release versions, but have seen a few videos, I guess I did notice that somewhat, thanks for letting me know.